Application process is a joke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karntrev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think dental school is beginning to be overrated. I don't mean anything to anybody that is in school. It has always been a dream of mine to become a dentist. I screwed up my first year of college and now I am paying for it. I have a 3.0 gpa. I know that it is low but schools don't have to treat a person like crap for having a lower gpa. They all say we look for trends in gpa, I call B.S. on that one. All they care about is the number right in front of them. The worst are Case Western and UNLV. They were horrible to me in informal interviews that I have had. (they came out to give a presentation at our university) They were extremely rude and basically said maybe you better look at something else. Maybe I will. I have worked hard to get my gpa up and it will never be where they want it. I have done all kinds of volunteer work and even did weeks of humantarian aid in Peru out of my own pocket, because they say they look at that. Bull@$%*, they don't look at that either. UNLV says that only 60% of application is gpa, actually it is like 95%. I don't have anything against people with high gpa's they deserve to get in, but there are some of us, lower level people who would make excellent dentists but who cares, right! The only school that treated me like an applicant and not a number was Dalhousie. I actually did well on the DAT and they tell me that, and supposedly that matters, but I don't see where. I respect anyone that does dental and I don't want to discourage anyone this is just a shot at the whole wacked out application process and what a joke that it is. You make one mistake and you'll never be a dentist.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear ya brotha from anotha motha

i feel the same way karntrev. i am REALLY fighting an uphill battle given my stats and background but don't give up hope just yet. have some faith and do the best you can. there are others out there with not-so-great stats and are now in dental schools, so it can be done. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That sucks. I think you'll find some schools willing to consider your recent achievements rather than past transgressions. Those are the ones to concentrate your efforts on. Find a few you really like and ask if you can spend a day or two checking out the campus. You'll have a less stressfull opportunity to see the school. Have lunch with some students. Just be polite, ask some questions and don't be concerned with impressing anyone.

A lot of the time it's really easy for admissions people to overlook almost everything about you. It happens, it's a shame, but you can't really complain at them. Complain at the people that use dental school as a back up for med school, complain at the people who are only applying cause daddy's a dentist, and complain at the people that apply to 15 schools but won't even show up for interviews they scheduled at 8 of them. They're the reason the number of applicants at each school is massively inflated and the reason no one has time to consider your real merits.

If you really want someone to read through everything that you spent the time and money putting into your application, make your presence as an applicant known. Someone in the office's job is to get to know the applicants, be it the interviewer or head of recruitment or whatever. (don't call up and ask for the Dean, though, that's just presumptuous.) Make sure they have in writing that you want all the work you've recently put in to be heavily considered. Some people send the admissions office freaking books about their achievements. They never would've asked you to send it, and they might think it's annoying, but they'll remember you for sure. Calling up and getting people to remember your name is key, and it's not something that the swollen ranks of dental applicants are going to do. Good luck to all of you and remember, they think they can tell how much you care.

karntrev said:
I think dental school is beginning to be overrated. I don't mean anything to anybody that is in school. It has always been a dream of mine to become a dentist. I screwed up my first year of college and now I am paying for it. I have a 3.0 gpa. I know that it is low but schools don't have to treat a person like crap for having a lower gpa. They all say we look for trends in gpa, I call B.S. on that one. All they care about is the number right in front of them. The worst are Case Western and UNLV. They were horrible to me in informal interviews that I have had. (they came out to give a presentation at our university) They were extremely rude and basically said maybe you better look at something else. Maybe I will. I have worked hard to get my gpa up and it will never be where they want it. I have done all kinds of volunteer work and even did weeks of humantarian aid in Peru out of my own pocket, because they say they look at that. Bull@$%*, they don't look at that either. UNLV says that only 60% of application is gpa, actually it is like 95%. I don't have anything against people with high gpa's they deserve to get in, but there are some of us, lower level people who would make excellent dentists but who cares, right! The only school that treated me like an applicant and not a number was Dalhousie. I actually did well on the DAT and they tell me that, and supposedly that matters, but I don't see where. I respect anyone that does dental and I don't want to discourage anyone this is just a shot at the whole wacked out application process and what a joke that it is. You make one mistake and you'll never be a dentist.

Have some cookie and milk :D

karntrev said:
UNLV says that only 60% of application is gpa, actually it is like 95%.

Well, if you want the real formula at UNLV here it is. (I hope they don't mind this being posted)

(aadsas cum GPA+ aadsas sci GPA)/8*(Reading comp score/30)*(bio+O Chem+QR)/90*75

The higher your scores, the closer you will have to a 75 with 75 being the perfect socre. (As a side note, you can't even get 30 on the Bio section with a perfect score. You can only score 28 max but as long as everyone is scored on the same scale it really only hurts those who would have had the perfect score in Bio)

Take that number and add it to a possble of 25 points earned in interviews. The total is 100 and of course, the higher, the better.

There is no getting around it, numbers matter. They matter big time! I personally know a couple people who are in dental school with 3.0-3.2 GPA's. It can hapen so keep on taking classes and working on it. Good luck to you all.

PowRGnome said:
A lot of the time it's really easy for admissions people to overlook almost everything about you. It happens, it's a shame, but you can't really complain at them. Complain at the people that use dental school as a back up for med school, complain at the people who are only applying cause daddy's a dentist, and complain at the people that apply to 15 schools but won't even show up for interviews they scheduled at 8 of them. They're the reason the number of applicants at each school is massively inflated and the reason no one has time to consider your real merits.

All I can say is AAAAAaaaamen. I so tired of talking to other "Pre-dents" at my school who have locked themselves in the library for the past 4 years and ended up with an awesome GPA, but you can't even carry a decent conversation with them. They all say they want to be dentists and they have NO FREAKIN idea why..."Ya, my dad is a dentist...uh, I watched my dentist fill my tooth with a mirror last time, and it seemed cool...I just want to be called 'Doctor'...." I'll tell you all what, I would be scared to death sending my kids to half of these pre-dents I meet. Everyone knows that the "C" dentists make all the money, the "B" dentists become lousy professors, and all the "A" dentists put a gun in their mouth or take tanks of NOS home every night.

VegasBabyVegas said:
All I can say is AAAAAaaaamen. I so tired of talking to other "Pre-dents" at my school who have locked themselves in the library for the past 4 years and ended up with an awesome GPA, but you can't even carry a decent conversation with them. They all say they want to be dentists and they have NO FREAKIN idea why..."Ya, my dad is a dentist...uh, I watched my dentist fill my tooth with a mirror last time, and it seemed cool...I just want to be called 'Doctor'...." I'll tell you all what, I would be scared to death sending my kids to half of these pre-dents I meet. Everyone knows that the "C" dentists make all the money, the "B" dentists become lousy professors, and all the "A" dentists put a gun in their mouth or take tanks of NOS home every night.

Is this guy serious? this is probably like the guy who sits next to me in my Orthopedics class and makes rude comments to all my athletic trainer friends. Get a life. You suck at tennis!!!!
:eek:

Yeah, Vegas's comment was pretty strange. So the suicidal dentists are the ones that did great in school, and they had no real idea why they entered dentistry. Hmmm, don't think I agree on that.

VegasBabyVegas said:
Everyone knows that the "C" dentists make all the money, the "B" dentists become lousy professors, and all the "A" dentists put a gun in their mouth or take tanks of NOS home every night.

No, sweetie, the "A" dentists get first pick as to what they want to specialize in. Just admit that you're jealous (and hell I am too of those "A" dentists; not for the amount of work they've put in but rather their favorable standing).

Hard work always pays off. And in reality, you don't really need that much people skills if you're going to be an oral surgeon and your patients are all asleep :laugh:

vandy_yankee said:
....And in reality, you don't really need that much people skills if you're going to be an oral surgeon and your patients are all asleep :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

and to the OP, with a 3.0 gpa, you don't just need a good DAT score to compensate, but an awesome DAT score. even if there is a positive trend in your GPA from frosh year, etc, well, you have to realize that the applicant pool for dentistry is getting more and more competitive--there's an application that the school has that probably has the same DAT, extracurrs, and yet also a better GPA than yours. the premeds are finally starting to figure out that where the $$ and lifestyle is, and it is no longer in medicine but dentistry. there are former premeds who have decided to drop med school and go for dental school.

and looking at your gpa is a good way to measure how you're going to take the classes at dental school. the classes will be analgous to one entire semester worth of cell bio or genetics...all crammed into 2 weeks. and if you're already having trouble in undergrad, you WILL have a very hard time adjusting. the dental schools are protecting YOU--they don't want you to come in thinking you'll be all right, then having to drop out because you couldn't take the work load (and dropping out after taking out massive loans to pay for school).

Members don't see this ad :)
You can still get into dental school with a 3.0. There are other schools besides Case and UNLV.

Beestieboy said:
Well, if you want the real formula at UNLV here it is. (I hope they don't mind this being posted)
(As a side note, you can't even get 30 on the Bio section with a perfect score. You can only score 28 max but as long as everyone is scored on the same scale it really only hurts those who would have had the perfect score in Bio)
I scored a 30 in biology. It can be done.

karntrev said:

Your stats are not the greatest, maybe you should have thought about this when you were taking your classes.

I don't think the application process is a joke, if you can't pull a 3.5 in undergrand, I definately wouldn't want you in dental school. Try Podiatry or Pharmarcy.

Blackstars said:
Your stats are not the greatest, maybe you should have thought about this when you were taking your classes.

I don't think the application process is a joke, if you can't pull a 3.5 in undergrand, I definately wouldn't want you in dental school. Try Podiatry or Pharmarcy.

Ouch

Blackstars said:

This is a fairly ******ed thing to say.

Nonetheless, the fact of the matter is if you have a sub 3.0 gpa, you better have something to make up for it. No one here has any idea what dental schools look for in applications, but it certainly contains more than GPA and DAT scores. How do I know... GPA = 2.98, Sci GPA =2.80, DAT 22/19/20. Interviews: Case Western, Minnesota, North Carolina, Columbia.

I realize I don't have an acceptance in my hand, but there seem to be some people here complaining about interviews at these schools with better stats than me. If you aren't able to see your application above your stats, no one else will. Is this a joke? Maybe... a crapshoot? More than likely. Deal with it. Stats mean less than you think, at least for interviews at the 4 aforementioned schools.

karntrev said:

If you think that admission offices don't have 300 other applicants that have done all of the crap!!! that you have done plus managed to get a 3.4 + gpa you are crazy. If you were over admissions and your main goal is to get a class full of students that are going to make it to be a DS2 and beyond you aren't going to be going through the huge pile of applications looking for the ones that have a 3.0 gpa, I don't think so. So go back to ochem and physics and get thoses A's, work less hrs, put in more time studying, get a 23 on the DAT, move to a state and become a resident, whatever. Quit moaning! You can start once you are in dental school, thats when you will really realize that this whole education process is a bunch of crap. But thats the way the game works, so either play along or quit and start picking up garbage for Ogden city.

Check my sigs...I was in your position at one time, but guess what? I realized I made a mistake and worked hard and I am determined as ever...

Blackstars said:

Blackstar your comments are uncalled for to say the least. Podiatry and pharmacy are great professions! I imagine its tough all around to get into any professional school.

By the way whats a undergrand? Do you mean undergraduate! :thumbdown:

bwa102 said:
This is a fairly ******ed thing to say.

Nonetheless, the fact of the matter is if you have a sub 3.0 gpa, you better have something to make up for it. No one here has any idea what dental schools look for in applications, but it certainly contains more than GPA and DAT scores. How do I know... GPA = 2.98, Sci GPA =2.80, DAT 22/19/20. Interviews: Case Western, Minnesota, North Carolina, Columbia.

I realize I don't have an acceptance in my hand, but there seem to be some people here complaining about interviews at these schools with better stats than me. If you aren't able to see your application above your stats, no one else will. Is this a joke? Maybe... a crapshoot? More than likely. Deal with it. Stats mean less than you think, at least for interviews at the 4 aforementioned schools.

It's funny for you to say DAT and GPA don't count so much. If you had even 19s all around, you wouldn't get as many interviews. I agree it's the total package but come on now, stats do say a lot about a person. Extracurrics. just put those stats into the proper context. And I hope you get in but, you do realize that you have an up hill battle to fight so coming on here and saying it's not about stats is wrong. Get an acceptance first. Then post how many schools you applied to and compare that to someone with high stats. Certainly the person with the much higher stats will have a higher percentage of acceptances. It is possible to get into dental school with lower stats but, let's not kid ourselves, stats are key.

DIRTIE said:
If you think that admission offices don't have 300 other applicants that have done all of the crap!!! that you have done plus managed to get a 3.4 + gpa you are crazy. If you were over admissions and your main goal is to get a class full of students that are going to make it to be a DS2 and beyond you aren't going to be going through the huge pile of applications looking for the ones that have a 3.0 gpa, I don't think so. So go back to ochem and physics and get thoses A's, work less hrs, put in more time studying, get a 23 on the DAT, move to a state and become a resident, whatever. Quit moaning! You can start once you are in dental school, thats when you will really realize that this whole education process is a bunch of crap. But thats the way the game works, so either play along or quit and start picking up garbage for Ogden city.

Ogden City!?!? Are you crazy. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. West valley City maybe... not ogden. Show some respect!

TimR said:
Ogden City!?!? Are you crazy. I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. West valley City maybe... not ogden. Show some respect!

oh yes, West Valley...where the trash bags are full of empty match boxs, kerosene, bunson burners, used road flares, and thousands of empty pseudo-ephedra bottles...and we think taking 5 chemistry classes make US chemists!! :laugh:

Incredibly rude!!!

Seems to me a lot of people make the false assumption that you are addressing. They reason that they must compensate for their mediocre stat X buy adding some extra curriculars or rockin the DAT but there are many applicants who have all that and aren't trying to compensate for something(now more than ever). That doesn't mean that these people don't have a shot but it is going to be an uphill battle and you need to be ready to tough it out by takin a late interview or applying twice. There are many success stories for people with all kinds of applications.

Why the hell are you posting on an ancient thread? At least you are a ute.

Graduated from the U myself. Or were you talkin to me?

I love all utes, but guys this thread is old. look at some dates. Nobody is even around anymore to respond.

(aadsas cum GPA+ aadsas sci GPA)/8*(Reading comp score/30)*(bio+O Chem+QR)/90*75

The higher your scores, the closer you will have to a 75 with 75 being the perfect socre. (As a side note, you can't even get 30 on the Bio section with a perfect score. You can only score 28 max but as long as everyone is scored on the same scale it really only hurts those who would have had the perfect score in Bio)

Take that number and add it to a possble of 25 points earned in interviews. The total is 100 and of course, the higher, the better.

There is no getting around it, numbers matter. They matter big time! I personally know a couple people who are in dental school with 3.0-3.2 GPA's. It can hapen so keep on taking classes and working on it. Good luck to you all.

UNLV didn't have an interview date on Oct 6th.

maybe in 2005 they did?

Try Podiatry or Pharmarcy.

Yeah, don't be one of those people....

The premeds all the time say "You did bad on the MCAT, go try dentistry" and that pisses me off because dentistry is my first choice. Pharmacy and Podiatry are competitive in their own respect and those individuals work hard to get into alot of those programs.

To the OP: Your GPA is not competitive. Stick around for awhile longer, get the GPA up. It'll be worth it in the end. Even with 1 more year of full time strait A's, your GPA will go up some.

Basic math....assuming your GPA is 3.0 after 4 years (~120 units). You go fulltime for one year (30 units)....get all As....you're at a 3.2.

There are no secrets to becoming a dentist and to be honest it's easy. There are no tricks, there are no secrets.

If your EC are so great, then get that GPA up and you will be a competitive applicant.

good luck...I know it must suck to be in the situation right now.

Also, try networking with local dentists...find some connections to the schools that way.

Way old thread. Quit quoting people from last year.

1161039633794.jpg

Way old thread. Quit quoting people from last year.

1161039633794.jpg

good call.

how stupid am I...i'll never get that 5 minutes of my life back. o well!! i guess i'll have to read the dates more often. I just assume that posts on the first page of SDN are current.

good call.

how stupid am I...i'll never get that 5 minutes of my life back. o well!! i guess i'll have to read the dates more often. I just assume that posts on the first page of SDN are current.

It's Ok man, I wasn't singling you out or anything. :cool:

Honestly, I have to disagree with that. My gpa is not far from yours and my DAT score is below average. My point is I have several interviews this year and can tell you it's not my DAT scores/gpa. I've done a humanitarian and tons (I'm talking 1000+ hours of dental volunteer) of volunteer work. Yes, there are a couple of schools that respond differently but for the most part most of the schools are professional about it. IF YOU WANT TO BE A DENTIST, YOU WILL BE ONE. You're doing everything in the right tract so just keep it up...my 2 cents anyway... Why I say if you want to be a dentist, you'll be one...is b/c it's the next step after undergrad and all your doing volunteer work..if you don't get in this year...you know what to do to do next year to improve...it'll happen....if it happen to me....it can happen to anyone..it's all about believing in yourself and living your dream...if you start thinking about all this crap...it will distract you like it is right now..press on and things will fall in place

Honestly, I have to disagree with that. My gpa is not far from yours and my DAT score is below average. My point is I have several interviews this year and can tell you it's not my DAT scores/gpa. I've done a humanitarian and tons (I'm talking 1000+ hours of dental volunteer) of volunteer work. Yes, there are a couple of schools that respond differently but for the most part most of the schools are professional about it. IF YOU WANT TO BE A DENTIST, YOU WILL BE ONE. You're doing everything in the right tract so just keep it up...my 2 cents anyway... Why I say if you want to be a dentist, you'll be one...is b/c it's the next step after undergrad and all your doing volunteer work..if you don't get in this year...you know what to do to do next year to improve...it'll happen....if it happen to me....it can happen to anyone..it's all about believing in yourself and living your dream...if you start thinking about all this crap...it will distract you like it is right now..press on and things will fall in place

Tissy. :oops:

tissy runs the city........like diddy

Because of this:
What's wrong with quoting old thread? In fact, it's only one year old...lets say if someone posted some real DAT questions but it's over 3 years old, I bet many people would dig it...I'm sure there are some people still in the same boat and think the same way as Karntrev this year...I'm one of them.