Application Process/PGSP Standford, Alliant, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Risingsoul

Aspiring Graduate Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is in the process of applying for grad school (Clinical Psy.D or Ph.D) for 2009 or 2010, specifically to programs in the Bay Area (PGSP/Standford, Alliant, etc). It would be great if we could share resources, the application process, as well as info. about credentials, GPA, GRE scores, and personal statements.

Also, if you have been through the process and was accepted into a program, it would be great and ultimately kind to share your stats and information to give aspiring students an idea of what to expect.

My program of choice is PGSP/Standford or Alliant. If you are currently applying or attending similar programs, please help by either emailing me your stats or by posting it on the thread. If you have applied and have been rejected, please also share. Please post or email the following info to [email protected]

-GRE scores (if required)
-GPA
-Experience
-Educational backgroun
-if possible, share you Personal Statement
-Who were your references
-Any helpful advice/tips.

Thank you in advance!

Hope everyone had a good holiday season!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Please make sure not to make a long-term decision based on a short-term complication (timing). Whether you wait 1 year really isn't a big deal when you consider you are planning for your career. Just my 2 cents.

You all have such great stats! It makes me curious why you're applying to a professional school when it seems like you have the creds to get into a program that will pay your tuition (saving approx. $100k in loans). I've heard Alliant has a good area in GLBT, although I've heard of other non-prof programs that would allow or foster a similar interest.

As I'm now interviewing for internships and looking at stipends for that, post-doc, and beyond.. I'm realizing that we have the ability to make a decent income, but most of us won't be making gobs of money (a few very successful researchers or private practices aside). I respect you all have your reasons for applying to prof schools - but I was just surprised considering most of you have some great stats & experiences.

For those considering Alliant in CA, check out the most recent issue of National Psychologist. For some reason I get that in the mail now. There was a rant in the student section from someone at Alliant in CA trying to get an internship. Grant it it came across as a bit unprofessional, but the student's complaint was having zero support from Alliant in obtaining an internship. They wanted to know what the students' rights were since they had shelled out a pile of money and spent a lot of time getting to their last year, only to hit a wall with no support from their school. I'm assuming the person hadn't matched last year (maybe even more than once by the tone of the commentary). I tried to find it online, but it may only be in the print edition.

You all have such great stats! It makes me curious why you're applying to a professional school when it seems like you have the creds to get into a program that will pay your tuition (saving approx. $100k in loans). I've heard Alliant has a good area in GLBT, although I've heard of other non-prof programs that would allow or foster a similar interest.

As I'm now interviewing for internships and looking at stipends for that, post-doc, and beyond.. I'm realizing that we have the ability to make a decent income, but most of us won't be making gobs of money (a few very successful researchers or private practices aside). I respect you all have your reasons for applying to prof schools - but I was just surprised considering most of you have some great stats & experiences.

I'd personally rather not attend a "diploma mill" or whatever these schools are being called, but I applied as a worst case scenario. There are so many competitive applications, so even with a great GPA and experience, it's not exactly a shoe-in.