application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girldr

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need a little help in the application process. I would appreciate if someone could just list the steps I should follow when applying. I want to make sure I am following the right procedure and not leaving anything out. I am taking the mcat in august. I did not get a chance to ask my teachers for recommendations either, so I will only be able to do that in September. Do you think I will be able to apply for the class of 2002? Any help or comments will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to be honest, you are way late with the letters, you should try to get them over the summer if possible. Maybe try emailing them. Just from experience, it took some of mine a really long time to do it. But I guess if you are taking the august MCAT the results won't be in untill October. The only thing is that if you apply, some schools will send you a secondary before they get your MCAT scores and then will just hold your app until they get the scores, but you still need to get the letters in with the secondaries. Moral of the story: Get the letters this summer if at all possible!! Hope that helps a little.

Ok, just my 2 cents...

Dont apply for EY 2002. You havent done the background work that you need to do to have a reasonably good chance. Wait until the EY2003 cycle. Get reccomendations next year - fall or Spring. Take the MCAT in August or next April (NOT next august). THEN get your amcas/aacomas/tmdsas in as early as possible. Get your transcripts sent as early as possible and your secondaries. Have your file completed EARLY - this will help you get interviews early which increases your chance of admission. Granted, this is just my opinion, but I think you might be just wasting money if you apply this year.

Dear girldr,

Do you already know to which schools you want to apply? Will you be take classes next semester? I was in a similar situation as you (although I had taken my MCATS the summer before I applied).

If you REALLY want to apply this year, and if you have some money in your checkings account, then I would recommend that you apply to the schools that you really like (limit them to 10-15ish because it is very difficult to fill out secondaries during the school year), and complete the secondaries on time. When you get the secondaries, a lot of them will tell you that you need to turn in your recommendations on a specific date, and some schools are pretty nice about it (I know that all the UC's (not sure about Irvine) are pretty lenient with it, so long as you give them what they ask for...they'll even call you to let you know you're missing some letters). So the challenge is to send in your applications (there are two timelines, one is the AMCAS timeline for AMCAS schools, and one is the school's own secondary timeline) in time, and worry about the letters as they come.

When I read your post, I felt like you're kind of in a similar situation I was in last year when I was trying to decide to apply or not. I can tell you that it's not super impossible as most people would say it is to get into medical school even if you turn in your AMCAS application a little later in the process (I turned my AMCAS app in..I think end of August just before the semester started). However, you'll have one heck of a semester ahead of you because you'll need to ask professors for recommendations (some of whom will most certainly turn them in late), concentrate on your classes, and work on your secondaries when you have the free-time. With school and the administrative hassle of my school, my files were not completed until late december/early january of this year! If you school is smaller with more friendly adminstrative services, maybe you can even get in everything by November, and you'll probably interview in dec. and jan., which leaves you lots of time to find out what will happen to you.

Also, there are some schools that get back to you really quickly for an interview after you send in your secondary: Pritzker (U of Chicago actually prides themselves in having a fast turnaround time...so at least you'll know you have some place to go in early spring even if you apply later in the process), the University of California system (I have ucsd and ucsf in mind in particular). You should definitely give these schools a try. You should also watch out for some of the non-AMCAS schools (like Columbia, NYU? . . . and some others...they have their own application process, so start asking for applications now if you are potentially interested in those schools). Good luck with your application process!