Application question on Osteopathic programs and much more!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Javeria Ehtesham

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanted to ask this question for a friend. My friend is an old IMG and currently applying country wide for residency positions. Some programs are listing themselves as Osteopathic recognition whereas other are osteopathic programs itself. Also sometimes the PD is a DO as well. Should my friend who is having ECFMG certification apply at such programs?
Also if a program says that it has no IMG but is accepting applications from IMGs, should she apply there?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If the program is strictly DO, then unlikely that an IMG would be able to get in as they require OMT.

A program that has Osteopathic Recognition is an ACGME program in which they have a Osteopathic education component for the DOs in order to get their medical license once they are done with residency. So your friend would have no issues applying here.

Reactions: 1 user
There are no strictly DO programs any more since the Merger.

And to Clarify DOs do not have to go to a program with Osteopathic Education/Recognition to get their medical License, We don't even have to take Osteopathic boards, but can take MD boards for our licensing instead.

But I agree that your friend would have no issues applying to Historically "DO" programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users