Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KYPharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the site and its been great finding people with the same worries and problems as me to read about. But I go to the University of Kentucky with a 3.4 GPA. I have worked in a pharmacy for most of my life because my gradnfather owns one, so I have had plenty of experience. But I was reading that some Pharm schools favor applications that they recieve first and some start taking applications in Sept. and Aug. If this is true, would it be advised for me to take organic this summer so it will be on my transript when I apply in the Fall because I have all of my pre reqs completed except organic and physics.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally took organic in the summer b/c it was easier and i made a much better grade than i would have during the regular year.....

Most that try to do it in 2 years end up with a full load still pending in the spring after they apply.

for any school on rolling admissions it will be best if you apply as soon as pharmcas opens (june/july i think)

i don't think it matters when you take it.. but... think about the possibility of it being easier (talk to those who have taken it, find out who it is teaching it and ask about him/her) with less people in the class (and at my school they had all failed it at least once during the regular year)

KYPharm said:
Hey, I'm new to the site and its been great finding people with the same worries and problems as me to read about. But I go to the University of Kentucky with a 3.4 GPA. I have worked in a pharmacy for most of my life because my gradnfather owns one, so I have had plenty of experience. But I was reading that some Pharm schools favor applications that they recieve first and some start taking applications in Sept. and Aug. If this is true, would it be advised for me to take organic this summer so it will be on my transript when I apply in the Fall because I have all of my pre reqs completed except organic and physics.

I would submit your application as early as possible. I think some colleges view this as a sign of iniative and desire to get into pharmacy school even if they don't claim to have rolling admissions. I was told that the University of South Carolina has accepted students as early as October even though they don't claim to have rolling admissions. I would take organic in the summer if you think you can make an A or B in it. THat's one of the courses that pharmacy schools think reflect your acedemic potential for pharmacy school.

KYPharm said:
Applying as early as August will definitely help you in the application process. So make sure you have all your letters of recommendation, personal statement, etc ready by then. Also take organic chemistry during summer only if you don't have anything else going on and will get an A (or B at least). Otherwise you can just take it during the year and I doubt pharmacy schools care because they don't expect applicants to have finished their pre-reqs before applying. Goodluck :thumbup:
Also, having a lot of pharmacy experience is definitely a bonus. But I'm not sure if pharmacy schools accept letters of recommendation from family members (grandfather). You might have to check that with schools that you plan on applying to.