Application questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Morton

none
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a few questions I thought some of the readers might be able to shed some light on, sorry if they're repeats:

1. Are people able to access the SF Match Program Directory?

When I click on it the page starts to load, but gets stuck.

2. How important are college grades?

I know Wilmer lists "excellent college grades" as one of its criteria for a successful applicant, but are they very important relative to one's subsequent academic record? Say, for example, someone had crappy grades in college (~3.1), but then great grades in 2 grad programs, a great step 1 score, great med school grades, etc. If they are important, is there a good way to explain them in an interview?

3. Is there a good resource for preparing for interview questions?

4. How important is a LOR from the chairman of the ophtho department?

Which would you choose, a decent, less personal letter from the chairman, or a glowing letter from someone in the department who is probably second only to the chairman? I ask because most people I have asked have strong, but differing opinions. Yes, I could get both, but I have other letters I'd like to use.

5. SF Match says a 4th ophtho LOR may be submitted late. Are there any restrictions on this?

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a few brief answers.

1. You can't access the SF Match Program directory unless you have registered (paid your $100) and received a password from them.

2. College grades are not important, especially in the scenario that you lay out. Be ready to answer some questions about college courses you took which may seem interesting to your interviewers.

3. Iserson's Getting in to Residency has the most common questions. Every once in awhile you'll get one like "What do you think about people shooting wolves from helicopters in Alaska?" There's no way to prepare for that.

4. The chairman at my school rarely writes letters for students. It didn't seem to matter as I got most of the interviews I wanted. I would definitely go for the glowing letter- I had one and it helped immensely.

5. As far as I know, the only restriction to the 4th letter is that it must be from an ophthalmologist. It probably should be sent in time for programs to see it as well- some start making interview decisions in September, others not until November.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Meduck, that's perfect. As for the SF Match program directory, I did pay, and have my password and such. I take it, though, that it's probably my computer -- I'll try another.