Application Review Pre PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Berkzz23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am about to apply for the following cycle of PT School. This is my first year applying to any schools and I just had a few questions. Does anybody know if applying as a re-applicant hurts ones chances of getting into a school?? I have tried to look online to find information on that and it is pretty scarce.
Here are my stats

Cumulative Gpa 3.06
Pre Req 3.82
Last 60 Hours 3.32 (3.6 After next semester)
GRE Verbal-144 Quant-151, Writing-4.0
Worked as a Personal Trainer for 3 years
200 hours Observation/Shadowing

This cycle I am only applying to St Augustine in Austin, University of North Texas, and UIW.

I got a few Cs when I was a freshman in classes like intro to humanities, politics, and texas history. I know these classes don't specifically relate to PT school but it does bring down my overall GPA. Im not sure if I should just apply, or wait until after I retake those basic classes to raise my gpa to around a 3.2-3.3 and then apply. Any information or opinions would help alot, Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does your transcript show a continual upward trend in grades?

If so I wouldn't sweat it too much with UIW and St augustine. I would try to get that GRE score up a little if you can though, it may help to balance your lower cumulative GPA.

Good luck!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools all look for different things, so it may be hard to tell. Your pre-req GPA is excellent, but your cumulative is lower than average. Since your GRE scores are relatively average as well, I would recommend trying to take the GRE one more time to balance out the lower cumulative GPA. Your observation hours are within a competitive range, but maybe over the summer try to get even more so you really look competitive in the experience department since you're not applying until next cycle!

Please be aware that PT schools are strange in the sense that you could get into an Ivy League graduate program and rejected from state schools because you are just not what they are looking for. You could have a 4.0 and perfect GREs and not get into a school because you don't have the experience they want! So do not worry!!

I would be cautious in only applying to three schools. If those are the only ones that would be feasible I understand, but like I said - PT school applications are weird. They don't necessarily take you because you're the smartest, but because you are what their program is looking for. That being said, your essays are INCREDIBLY important. I would recommend applying to more so that you have some sort of safety cushion just in case the applicant pool is super competitive numerically. Some schools will do a GPA cut off, and some are more holistic. You really have to make yourself shine - make yourself sound individualistic and unique in your essays. Play off of your ability to tell a story and to accentuate your personal one. It's VERY important.

YOU GOT THIS!

Reactions: 1 users
Blah, blah, blah. My undergrad gpa was low (3.19) and i got accepted to my top choice schools. The only thing you need to improve for SURE is your gre. Most schools want above 300, so its just one point. Pay for Magoosh, do prep again, as painful as it sounds, just get through it and make sure you have 300+. People on here told me i have zero chance at public school and thats where I am going! GRE do over and apply to more schools as per above persons recomendation!

Reactions: 1 user
Okay guys thanks for the input! I am retaking the GRE soon to see if I can raise my score. Those are the only 3 schools I was planning on applying to this cycle because they are relatively close to where I live. If I don't get in I will apply to other schools next cycle, once I bring up my overall GPA. Was mainly just trying to get some opinions to see if I have any type of chance getting into those schools with my current stats without retaking history and politics.

Retaking history and politics would do nothing to help you. PTCAS includes every single grade you've ever gotten, so even if your school recalculates your GPA, PTCAS will still not. Also, I would say being a reapplicant would only hurt you if you don't do much in between cycles, otherwise I would guess it has no bearing on decisions. FYI there is a section on PTCAS that asks you if you have applied before and if so, what you have done to improve your application.

As for the the low cGPA it is definitely possible to get in somewhere (esp with your high pre-req GPA). However, do your research and figure out where you will be most competitive if you don't get in this cycle. I applied strategically to last 60 cr hour schools, ones with lower cGPA averages, and ones that take highest pre-req retake grades.

Apply strategically. I was in the same situation as you, low cGPA but high pGPA, although my GRE scores were pretty high. I literally looked through every single school on PTCAS to see how many out of state students they accept, the average accepted GPA, the program description, ect. Find out what each school is looking for and determine if you have that. My first few years of undergrad were horrible but I finished my last two years with a high GPA, stress points like these in your essays, write about how you were able to improve, ect. Also start emailing schools NOW and try to get a dialogue going, it will get your foot in the door and show them that you are genuinely interested. You can definitely get in if you apply to the right schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you very much. Just trying to get some insight on applying to schools with my stats. A lot of information I read on the internet is a little discouraging and I’m trying to do my best to make my application as competitive as possible.