Application strategy w/ large step 1 -> step 2 increase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisathrowaway

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a weird spot as applications approach. I scored pretty poorly on step 1 (200s), but I really bumped it up for step 2 (250s). Improved almost 50 points on CK :eek:.

US MD. Good LORs, honored psych sub-i, honors/hp in all rotations w/ good evals. Some research, but none psych related. Decent ECs. In the end, Step 1 ended up being a bit of a fluke in my medical school career.

What kind of strategy should I use when applying? I know a lot of programs probably have step 1 cutoffs which will hurt me, but it's been difficult to get realistic input because it's hard to find others who have been in a similar scenario, especially with the competitiveness of psych starting to increase.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in a bit of a weird spot as applications approach. I scored pretty poorly on step 1 (200s), but I really bumped it up for step 2 (250s). Improved almost 50 points on CK :eek:.

Good LORs, honored psych sub-i, honors/hp in all rotations w/ good evals. Some research, but none psych related. Decent ECs.

What kind of strategy should I use when applying? I know a lot of programs probably have step 1 cutoffs which will hurt me, but it's been difficult to get realistic input because it's hard to find others who have been in a similar scenario, especially with the competitiveness of psych starting to increase.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Kind of frustrating when people post for advice on here without specifying MD/DO/IMG, bc it makes a hell of a difference.

If you're an MD you probably won't get screened out (source: my program director at my medical school, my personal observations from medical school classmates etc on the trail) and it's still worth taking your shot at top tier programs if the rest of your application is strong. Psych is getting more competitive but not in the way that means a Step 1 score is destiny if you have a good app and improve on step 2. If you're a DO/IMG, I'm less sure...and in any case the advice is going to be 'apply broadly'.

Kind of frustrating when people post for advice on here without specifying MD/DO/IMG, bc it makes a hell of a difference.

If you're an MD you probably won't get screened out (source: my program director at my medical school, my personal observations from medical school classmates etc on the trail) and it's still worth taking your shot at top tier programs if the rest of your application is strong. Psych is getting more competitive but not in the way that means a Step 1 score is destiny if you have a good app and improve on step 2. If you're a DO/IMG, I'm less sure...and in any case the advice is going to be 'apply broadly'.

Sorry about that. I'm a US MD. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The step 1 really hurts for the most competitive programs. If you really want a top program, you should do an away rotation there. An away can get you the interview to highlight your step 2. Otherwise, I think average and somewhat above average competition programs are where you should apply.

The step 1 really hurts for the most competitive programs. If you really want a top program, you should do an away rotation there. An away can get you the interview to highlight your step 2. Otherwise, I think average and somewhat above average competition programs are where you should apply.

How are these programs 'ranked'? Is there a list out there somewhere or is it mostly regional word of mouth stuff?

Congrats on the big jump in Step scores. I would hope that most programs would see that jump and be impressed by it. Who invites you for an interview will likely depend on how each program does the first pass through the applications, 9strict cutoffs, broader reading of the application, your location). Your ranking will likely depend more on your interview. I don't think that you should rule out a top notch program. Just have a healthy dose of safety schools.

I'll come up with a list based on my gut then.

Danke!

(srsly though, I was wondering what this mystical list was...)

To keep it simple as this can be a touchy topic:
Anywhere in Cali (location draws competition), Harvard programs minus their VA program, and name brand NYC options. Any given year, other name institutions like Johns Hopkins, Yale, etc can be very tough to match, but people are always drawn to NYC, Cali, and Harvard. You’ll see many applicants that would rank any Cali option over Ivy League due to location.

Keep in mind that statistically people stay near where they train. You can build strong connections by networking. Competition thus can often be about location more than prestige, etc.

To keep it simple as this can be a touchy topic:
Anywhere in Cali (location draws competition), Harvard programs minus their VA program, and name brand NYC options. Any given year, other name institutions like Johns Hopkins, Yale, etc can be very tough to match, but people are always drawn to NYC, Cali, and Harvard. You’ll see many applicants that would rank any Cali option over Ivy League due to location.

Keep in mind that statistically people stay near where they train. You can build strong connections by networking. Competition thus can often be about location more than prestige, etc.

I appreciate the response!

Congrats on your scores! If you read my posts I had an identical scores last year and matched so feel free to pm me. I had some unique ECs/pubs which helped.

I only applied to the north east and applied to I think 60 programs? Basically everywhere in the NE but the Harvard programs (minus HSS), upenn, Cornell and Columbia because I didn’t honestly think I had a shot and wanted to save the money. So other than those places I got about 20 interviews out of the 60 and it was a full range of programs (from brand new to one top 20-25?). I did not reach out to any programs with a letter of interest so if you want more competive programs than where I interviewed that’s worth a shot.

I want to say NO ONE asked me about my step scores interviewing even though I was self conscious about my step 1.

I matched at my number 5 which was a shock because I didn’t even meet their listed step 1 minimum. My step 1 May have hurt me at the top 4 programs I ranked but honestly maybe my interview didn’t do it for them. I got several ranked to match emails so I don’t think I interviewed horribly across the board (I have been told I interview well), but maybe I just don’t do it for everyone.

TLDR Basically, my step 1 score was less of a big deal than I thought it was going to be, I had no problems getting interviews, and I matched psych at university MD program, but not my number 1.

Reactions: 1 user