Application submitted/Dat mid august..is that pushing it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tissy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my DAT mid august...When will my application be complete after I take my test? Does it take a month or so?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my application August 29th, and took my DAT August 15th all last year. AADSAS made an error which pushed my application completion date to about early October for three of the schools, and November for one of the schools. Despite this being "late," I received an interview invite from UCSF and USC in mid November (my file was complete at these schools in October), and an interview invite from UCLA late February (file also complete in October). Pacific never contacted me until April to tell me I had been rejected, and coincidentally that was the school where my file wasn't completed until November. I hope this timetable helps you!

tissy, you're going to find the super-students on here that applied and took the dat late and it still didnt hurt them in the application process. For those normal students though, it's going to put you at a disadvantage. Your app won't be complete until you take the DAT, you can fax in your unofficial scores, but it may take a few weeks for the official scores to get to your schools. Personally, I would try to take the DAT earlier. If you're not ready though, there's no use in screwing it up and having to wait 90 days for a retest. Keep in mind though that there are schools that offer interviews EARLY and they'll already be handing out their spots before you've taken the DAT. Ie) Case Western, Temple, perhaps even Nova. There are schools like Tufts though that won't start looking at apps until much later though.

Utes

Members don't see this ad :)
Mrxle3 said:
I submitted my application August 29th, and took my DAT August 15th all last year. AADSAS made an error which pushed my application completion date to about early October for three of the schools, and November for one of the schools. Despite this being "late," I received an interview invite from UCSF and USC in mid November (my file was complete at these schools in October), and an interview invite from UCLA late February (file also complete in October). Pacific never contacted me until April to tell me I had been rejected, and coincidentally that was the school where my file wasn't completed until November. I hope this timetable helps you!
It sure does...thanks a bunch..

Utes said:
tissy, you're going to find the super-students on here that applied and took the dat late and it still didnt hurt them in the application process. For those normal students though, it's going to put you at a disadvantage. Your app won't be complete until you take the DAT, you can fax in your unofficial scores, but it may take a few weeks for the official scores to get to your schools. Personally, I would try to take the DAT earlier. If you're not ready though, there's no use in screwing it up and having to wait 90 days for a retest. Keep in mind though that there are schools that offer interviews EARLY and they'll already be handing out their spots before you've taken the DAT. Ie) Case Western, Temple, perhaps even Nova. There are schools like Tufts though that won't start looking at apps until much later though.

Utes
Okay..I need to work harder to try to take it sooner.

Tissy,

I guess I am in the same shoes. I originally wanted to take the DAT in July but I will be taking it in mid August as well. Let's hope we rock on the DAT and hear some good news by the Christmas.

Best wishes,
Denalist

Dentalist said:
Tissy,

I guess I am in the same shoes. I originally wanted to take the DAT in July but I will be taking it in mid August as well. Let's hope we rock on the DAT and hear some good news by the Christmas.

Best wishes,
Denalist

;) Fingers crossed on both hands for the both of us...

tissy said:
I'm taking my DAT mid august...When will my application be complete after I take my test? Does it take a month or so?
Taking the DAT in mid August is fine, at the very latest your schools will get your official score from the ADA by the first week in September. It is going to take a great deal of time for the admissions committees to examine all the applications they will have at this point, so as long as your DAT arrives before they send out their first batch of offers it matters not if you took the DAT on August 1 or on August 20.
My science GPA is nearly identical to yours and I have been told by a two directors of admissions upon noting my GPA that as long as the rest of my application is in order I just need to have the DAT completed by September 1. So don't rush into taking it, but certainly make sure that the rest of your application is already safely in the hands of the school that you are applying to and that you are prepaired to take the DAT.

Resonance said:
Taking the DAT in mid August is fine, at the very latest your schools will get your official score from the ADA by the first week in September. It is going to take a great deal of time for the admissions committees to examine all the applications they will have at this point, so as long as your DAT arrives before they send out their first batch of offers it matters not if you took the DAT on August 1 or on August 20.
My science GPA is nearly identical to yours and I have been told by a two directors of admissions upon noting my GPA that as long as the rest of my application is in order I just need to have the DAT completed by September 1. So don't rush into taking it, but certainly make sure that the rest of your application is already safely in the hands of the school that you are applying to and that you are prepaired to take the DAT.

Why do you say Sep1? I scheduled mine for sep 9- is that really bad???

tissy said:

From my experience schools start reviewing your application as soon as they receive it, and based on your academic info they will send u a supplemental application if they consider you a strong applicant. Your application/file will not be complete until after you take your DAT; however, alot of schools will encourage you to fax them a copy of the unoffical score report that you will get the day of your test. I took my DAT mid-August and was interviewing by the first week in October.

I wish you the best! :luck:

mrodr043 said:
From my experience schools start reviewing your application as soon as they receive it, and based on your academic info they will send u a supplemental application if they consider you a strong applicant. Your application/file will not be complete until after you take your DAT; however, alot of schools will encourage you to fax them a copy of the unoffical score report that you will get the day of your test. I took my DAT mid-August and was interviewing by the first week in October.

I wish you the best! :luck:

Thanxs :)

Has anyone had a hard time with AADSAS posting your transcripts? I have sent my transcripts three times and still only one out of the three schools that I have attended transcript is showing up on my application. I am highly upset about the entire situation.

Yeah I'm in a similar boat. I have submitted everything..which has yet to be sent out..and just have to take the dreaded DAT. I'm hoping to take it end of july/beginning of august. I'm gonna take a topscore exam this friday..and if I get something in the high teens i'm registering.

good luck to you all

i didn't take my DAT until late sept and i got in everywhere i wanted to go. the only risk taking it so late is that if you don't rock it out, the heart of the application cycle will pass you by before your 90 days are up. but if you score well in august, you should be cooly cooly cool :cool: