Application time-line

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a post-bac student with an okay overall GPA, good science GPA, and a busy work/ec/volunteer resume. I'm debating whether or not I should apply this cycle and enter in the fall of '07. I'll be taking Orgo 1 and 2 over the summer and was wondering if you would recommend studying for and taking the DAT during/post Orgo and applying this cycle? I'll have the upper level pre-reqs completed before matriculating so I could technically do this. Otherwise, I would have to wait until next summer to apply which would leave me with a year of twiddling my thumbs.

I guess I'm just feeling anxious and want to get into d-school asap but I'm also worried that rushing into things could jepordize me in the future. Does anyone have any passing thoughts or comments on this? Thanks in advance.

Mack

Members don't see this ad.

apply in the coming cycle, you'll be fine :thumbup:

Why apply later? Don't waste your time.

Work hard now, review everything for the DAT except Organic Chemistry, of course. Take Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 during the summer while working on your application. Submit the application even before you take the DAT.

After your Org. Chemistry classes are over with, spend 2-3 weeks reviewing everything, and then take the DAT. I assume your classes will be done near the end of August or beginning of September, which will leave you enough time to get in...

This is given you have decent overall and BCP GPAs, like you stated you did.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't be worried about getting your pre-req's done prior to applying, because most applicants never have there pre-req's done until the year they graduate, its very had to get all your classes done before you apply, because once again as you already know, your applying your junior year (in most cases), and entering dental school the fall of the year you graduate. In my case, i won't be able to take orgo until my senior year (next semester), so i bought orgo text books and learned it on my own, just so i can't do average on the DAT and also still have my matriculation to dental school be on time.

Thanks for the replies... You definately told me what I want to hear :D

I consider my GPAs to be decent. I'd be looking at just under a 3.1 overall, a 3.6ish BCP, and a little higher for overall science. I test well so the DAT should be okay, but the reason for my concern is that I'm a post-bac student. I have a bachelors in Philosophy and a very limited amount of science coursework (about 8 BCP's after this summer's orgos). I haven't really had the time to develop relationships with any science profs and my spare time is spent working and commuting (I have some volunteer time - dent and non-dent related - but not much). My application will be relatively thin from a traditional perspective, don't you think? Would I be warranted to ask to meet with an admissions dean to see where I stand? Has anyone done this?

I hate to be that guy with the case-specific speculative questions but any additional advice would be appreciated. Thanks.