Application Timeline and Odds of Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petomed

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to how your odds of acceptance deteriorate as the application cycle moves forward? In my scenario, everything revolves around the MCAT. COVID has created a really tough work-life balance for me right now, where daycare sends my kid home at the slightest cough. This turns my 8-hr workday into 14-16 hrs as I manage the kiddo and try to meet my deliverables remotely. One day quickly turns into a week at a time like this and I often spend the weekends just trying to stay afloat. Help from family would be great, but the pandemic makes that a tough decision to make, as I'm sure most have experienced by now. MCAT studying has taken a necessary backseat because of this, so if I want to score my best, I need to push the date out.

So, one of the schools I'm interested in lists May 28 as the earliest day to submit the primary application. They also list July 10 as the first day they will begin reviewing applications, August 1 as the first day interview invitations are sent, and December 15 as the primary application deadline. A few questions then are:

1) Odds of acceptance surely fall off as December 15 approaches, but what's the curve look like?
2) Can the application be submitted without yet receiving an MCAT score?
3) Is each application given some kind of number for review purposes, and the review will begin as soon as the MCAT score is received?

There are combatting evils here and I'd like to know how I should approach things. At one end of the spectrum I can sit for the MCAT without being as prepared as I feel I should be, or at the other end I can push it out until I feel I couldn't score any higher. Knowing how time plays into the acceptance formula would be really helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

some schools may accept without an MCAT but this is a rare condition. you can submit without an MCAT score but most schools won't send interview invites or even secondaries without meeting a minimum MCAT score. your review may begin before or after the MCAT score is released.

every school is different. asking for an acceptance with skirting the basic requirements is a big ask and likely won't happen.

start taking practice exams and stop reviewing content. then sit for the exam at least by May if you want to submit on time.

some schools may accept without an MCAT but this is a rare condition. you can submit without an MCAT score but most schools won't send interview invites or even secondaries without meeting a minimum MCAT score. your review may begin before or after the MCAT score is released.

every school is different. asking for an acceptance with skirting the basic requirements is a big ask and likely won't happen.

start taking practice exams and stop reviewing content. then sit for the exam at least by May if you want to submit on time.
Thanks for the reply. I'm by no means trying to skirt the system. I'm happy for the opportunity to show the new me with a great MCAT score. I currently have my exam date scheduled for mid May but I would happily push it out a month if doing so won't negatively impact my acceptance chances any more than scoring 5 percentile points lower would.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. hard question to answer but it depends on the candidate, if a steller applicant applies Dec 14 they have a much better chance than average joe. With that being said if you have average or low stats for a school applying early is best.
2. yes you can submit an application without an MCAT. It is common to submit your application to a throwaway school since it takes about a month for your application to be verified. Once it's verified and you have an MCAT score add more schools.
3. this depends some schools will look at it without a score, others won't. so no real rule but generally it's better to have a score than not have one.

1. hard question to answer but it depends on the candidate, if a steller applicant applies Dec 14 they have a much better chance than average joe. With that being said if you have average or low stats for a school applying early is best.
2. yes you can submit an application without an MCAT. It is common to submit your application to a throwaway school since it takes about a month for your application to be verified. Once it's verified and you have an MCAT score add more schools.
3. this depends some schools will look at it without a score, others won't. so no real rule but generally it's better to have a score than not have one.
Thanks for the insights. I didn't realized the verification process only began once you formally submit. Anything that bounces the app back to you could then be real trouble for a tight timeline when applying somewhat late.

Are you able to elaborate a bit on (3)? For example, if a school does review the application without an MCAT, will they review again the application once the MCAT comes in? Likewise, if they decide not to review the application without the MCAT, will your application be reviewed very quickly once they receive the MCAT score?

Can anyone speak to how your odds of acceptance deteriorate as the application cycle moves forward? In my scenario, everything revolves around the MCAT. COVID has created a really tough work-life balance for me right now, where daycare sends my kid home at the slightest cough. This turns my 8-hr workday into 14-16 hrs as I manage the kiddo and try to meet my deliverables remotely. One day quickly turns into a week at a time like this and I often spend the weekends just trying to stay afloat. Help from family would be great, but the pandemic makes that a tough decision to make, as I'm sure most have experienced by now. MCAT studying has taken a necessary backseat because of this, so if I want to score my best, I need to push the date out.

So, one of the schools I'm interested in lists May 28 as the earliest day to submit the primary application. They also list July 10 as the first day they will begin reviewing applications, August 1 as the first day interview invitations are sent, and December 15 as the primary application deadline. A few questions then are:

1) Odds of acceptance surely fall off as December 15 approaches, but what's the curve look like?
2) Can the application be submitted without yet receiving an MCAT score?
3) Is each application given some kind of number for review purposes, and the review will begin as soon as the MCAT score is received?

There are combatting evils here and I'd like to know how I should approach things. At one end of the spectrum I can sit for the MCAT without being as prepared as I feel I should be, or at the other end I can push it out until I feel I couldn't score any higher. Knowing how time plays into the acceptance formula would be really helpful.
Is it your goal to get into med school early, or get into med school, period?

You apply when you have the best possible app.

For MD, the cycle is basically glutted by Labor Day. Your state MD school may give you a little more leeway.

For DO, the cycle is longer, and you're fine up to T-giving.

You can submit a throwaway app to get the process rolling (getting verified), but you should NOT apply seriously if you lack a score. Your school will will be very different with a 518 vs a 511.

Apps are not processed in order of chronological receipt. They are ranked by various criteria (URM, veterans, students from the UG parent school, school's mission, etc).

Is it your goal to get into med school early, or get into med school, period?

You apply when you have the best possible app.

For MD, the cycle is basically glutted by Labor Day. Your state MD school may give you a little more leeway.

For DO, the cycle is longer, and you're fine up to T-giving.

You can submit a throwaway app to get the process rolling (getting verified), but you should NOT apply seriously if you lack a score. Your school will will be very different with a 518 vs a 511.

Apps are not processed in order of chronological receipt. They are ranked by various criteria (URM, veterans, students from the UG parent school, school's mission, etc).
Thanks for the reply. My goal is to get into medical school but without assuming inordinate amounts of debt. Generally speaking, the higher your MCAT, the more selective the school you may attend, the larger the endowment of said school, and the lesser your student loan burden. I want to do primary care but I don't want 500k debt while doing it. I'm well aware many people will have their opinions on what I just said and that's fine. It's not the purpose of this thread.

You mention 518 vs. 511. Given the practice tests I've taken, 511 is likely where I would fall if sitting mid May. 518 is also within shooting range if I'm able to continue closing out gaps in content knowledge by moving out my test date. This is what is driving my conundrum.

Regarding apps processing, I will be applying as low SES but I'm not sure if that makes no difference or if low SES is umbrella'd beneath URM.

Thanks for the reply. My goal is to get into medical school but without assuming inordinate amounts of debt. Generally speaking, the higher your MCAT, the more selective the school you may attend, the larger the endowment of said school, and the lesser your student loan burden. I want to do primary care but I don't want 500k debt while doing it. I'm well aware many people will have their opinions on what I just said and that's fine. It's not the purpose of this thread.

You mention 518 vs. 511. Given the practice tests I've taken, 511 is likely where I would fall if sitting mid May. 518 is also within shooting range if I'm able to continue closing out gaps in content knowledge by moving out my test date. This is what is driving my conundrum.

Regarding apps processing, I will be applying as low SES but I'm not sure if that makes no difference or if low SES is umbrella'd beneath URM.
Med school acceptance is not based upon single metrics.

Given your goals, you might want to consider LECOM, which has a very nice, cheap tution.