Application Timeline Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRIghts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently a rising junior. I was planning on starting my AMCAS application in May 2016, and taking my MCAT early in the fall of my Senior year so I have adequate time to study for it. I was wondering if I am able to do this, and if it the right way to go in order to get early application advantages. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you start your app the end of your junior year, you want to have your mcat scores in by then. If you plan on taking your mcat sept/oct of your senior year, you should submit your app at the end of your senior year. Otherwise, people in your cycle might already be accepted before schools so much as look at your app, which could be a death sentence for you.

Does applying in your senior year get you into most medical schools in that same year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does applying in your senior year get you into most medical schools in that same year?

Applying takes a full year. You submit your applications in June or July, interview starting in July or August, can be accepted anywhere from October through the following July, and start school that August. So if you applied June 2015 you would start school August 2016.

So would it matter if I did not do much after undergrad and applied at the end of my senior year? Also say I where to take the MCAT in early fall of my senior year, and got a pretty high score with an average gpa. (35 or something with relation to the new grading scale.) Would the lateness still be pretty lethal?

So would it matter if I did not do much after undergrad and applied at the end of my senior year? Also say I where to take the MCAT in early fall of my senior year, and got a pretty high score with an average gpa. (35 or something with relation to the new grading scale.) Would the lateness still be pretty lethal?

If you take a September MCAT and apply right then and there you're essentially forked. Sorry, you can't get around this.

Secondaries ask what you've been doing with your time (or plan to do with it) after you've graduated college.

This isn't a process you can half-ass.

Reactions: 1 users