Application Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drbound2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me understand more about the application process....

Taking MCAT in May with a late June/July 1 release date.

Taking summer classes with grades out by July 15.

So, I wanted to finalize my applications by July 1. Does everyone have a chance at a secondary? If so, can you update your application with new grades that early in the process?

I read that secondary questions are posted on SDN, are they the same every year?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT scores can come after other parts of your application are complete. Don't worry about getting these two separate processes aligned.

You can't update the grades on your primary application after it's been processed. Some schools will consider updates, but that's up to the school.

Some schools change their secondary questions more frequently than other schools. It all depends on the school.

no you don't update your GPA with classes that you've taken after you've already submitted. you can mention it in an update letter that you've continued to do well in your studies but it will not be factored into your cGPA or sGPA. what you entered is what you have.

that said, if you do get accepted, they will still ask for your final transcripts. the school I got accepted to required a C+ (not average but in all my remaining classes), so don't screw it up and fail a class.

not every school will send a secondary but if your stats are halfway decent they probably will. there's mixed feelings toward that, because half the time it seems like they just want to collect the fee and then send you your rejection letter right away. anyway only add schools to your list that you would seriously consider going to. otherwise you'll waste a lot of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
no you don't update your GPA with classes that you've taken after you've already submitted. you can mention it in an update letter that you've continued to do well in your studies but it will not be factored into your cGPA or sGPA. what you entered is what you have.

that said, if you do get accepted, they will still ask for your final transcripts. the school I got accepted to required a C+ (not average but in all my remaining classes), so don't screw it up and fail a class.

not every school will send a secondary but if your stats are halfway decent they probably will. there's mixed feelings toward that, because half the time it seems like they just want to collect the fee and then send you your rejection letter right away. anyway only add schools to your list that you would seriously consider going to. otherwise you'll waste a lot of money.

So my GPA is expected at sGPA3.6 and cGPA3.78 at the end of this next semester, hoping for a 30 or 31 on my MCAT so my Lizzy is just below a 70. So, I thought I would take a few classes this summer to bring it up to a 3.8 and 3.7. My problem is that I don't know if I should wait until July 15 which really delays my application "verified" or take a chance at a 3.6 and 3.78 and submit in June (since they don't need my MCAT at submittal).???

Last edited:
I think that AACOMAS, the DO school application service, does let you update through the application service. Correct me someone if this is not correct.

I just logged on to AACOMAS... if there is a way to update grades through the application service I couldn't find it. :shrug:

To update your Academic Record with new coursework, contact the registrar at the institution you are currently attending to request that an official transcript, showing the addition of the updated coursework, be forwarded to AACOMAS. All updated transcripts must be postmarked by April 1, 2011 to be included in final processing.

I found this on p16 of the AACOMAS booklet for the current application season (entering class of 2011): http://www.aacom.org/InfoFor/applicants/documents/instructions.pdf