Application timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MMADoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a question concerning the timing of my application. I just took the MCATs, got a 31M (11, 11, 9), felt like I underperformed and signed up to retake the exam July 6th. While a 31M coupled with a GPA of 3.8ish is competitive for some of the schools I plan to apply to (about 8 schools overall), I need a better score for the more competitive programs I have my eye on. My ECs and LORs are solid but not spectacular, I have interesting life experiences and I feel like I interview pretty well.

Current plan:
I am expecting my AMCAs application to be complete by middle of June and I was going to apply to those programs where my stats are competitive and then if I score high enough a second time, add more competitive programs and be complete for those programs in early August.

Question:
If I follow my current plan, will the schools that I designate to send my application to in June look at/accept my application with the MCAT score provided or will they wait for the July 6th MCAT score before even looking at my application? Is this something I need to contact each school with or is there an applicable rule of thumb?

What would happen if I put down that these medical schools should not expect the additional July 6th MCAT scores on my application?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you only applying to 8 schools in total?

Are you only applying to 8 schools in total?

+1 Also, if some of these schools are really competitive then I'd say you need to add more safeties to your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, the original list of schools I wanted to apply to was about 15-20, depending on how I felt about my bank account at the time.

The 8 schools I mentioned were the schools that I felt that my current stats made me competitive for and were part of the original list of schools to which I wanted to apply.

Overall, I will be applying to at least 15 schools by the time I get my second MCAT scores back. I am just concerned that even if I complete my application early for those 8 schools that they will not look at my application till the second MCAT results are in even though my first MCAT score/GPA was average/above average for accepted students at those schools.

I'm pretty sure they won't review your application until you get your second MCAT score back

Which leads to the second question, what would happen if I put down in the application for the medical schools to not expect additional MCAT scores?

The exact wording from the AMCAS is;
Medical schools need to discern whether or not MCAT scores from calendar year 2011 should be expected in support of your application.

Click yes to include upcoming or recently taken MCAT exam dates

Would this be considered as deceptive or flag my application when additional MCAT scores become available? Would it even matter if they had already reviewed my application and I submitted secondaries?

I was under the impression that the scores are automatically sent to the schools that you put on your AMCAS but I could be wrong

I'm not 100% sure but I think that even if you didn't tell them you retook the MCAT, they would know that you had taken it again since it when you press "send scores to AMCAS", everyone who is on your list will get that notification. I'm not 100%, but I would NOT try and deceive them as it can bite you in the butt. Honesty is always the way to go in this process.

A 31 is a competitive score I say keep it. Keep in mind that the schools that have averages of 32 and 33 have plenty of people getting in with 31's (otherwise it wouldn't be an average).

Good luck and good job on the MCAT! :thumbup:

Thanks for the help so far but maybe I am not being clear in my questions.
I am aware that any new MCAT scores are sent to any and all schools that I have applied to once I receive them.

My question is concerning whether or not a school will process my application (assuming I submit in June) with the MCAT score that I currently have if they are aware that I will be retaking the MCAT (score release early August) in a few months. Or will these schools sit on my application until the new score gets to them even if my old score was there average acceptance level?

The second, more important question, is if I designate to not tell these schools that I will be retaking the MCAT (a question in the AMCAs), is this considered duplicity and frowned upon? Do they have some method of finding out that I am planning on retaking the exam besides self-reporting or will they even care if I retake and do better?

Thanks for the help so far but maybe I am not being clear in my questions.
I am aware that any new MCAT scores are sent to any and all schools that I have applied to once I receive them.

My question is concerning whether or not a school will process my application (assuming I submit in June) with the MCAT score that I currently have if they are aware that I will be retaking the MCAT (score release early August) in a few months. Or will these schools sit on my application until the new score gets to them even if my old score was there average acceptance level?

The second, more important question, is if I designate to not tell these schools that I will be retaking the MCAT (a question in the AMCAs), is this considered duplicity and frowned upon? Do they have some method of finding out that I am planning on retaking the exam besides self-reporting or will they even care if I retake and do better?

To answer your first question: no, they will not process your app until they receive the second MCAT score. Just b/c your first score was their average acceptance level doesn't mean that you're second will be.

To answer your second question read what I said above ^. I'm pretty sure they can find out. And it is definitely frowned upon and they won't be too happy when they find out. Deception in any way usually leads to rejections just giving you the heads up. You must tell them EVERYTHING.

To answer your first question: no, they will not process your app until they receive the second MCAT score. Just b/c your first score was their average acceptance level doesn't mean that you're second will be.

To answer your second question read what I said above ^. I'm pretty sure they can find out. And it is definitely frowned upon and they won't be too happy when they find out. Deception in any way usually leads to rejections just giving you the heads up. You must tell them EVERYTHING.

Would trying to improve an MCAT score really be deception though? Just curious. :confused:

Would trying to improve an MCAT score really be deception though? Just curious. :confused:

No, and if the OP isn't satisfied with his MCAT score then he should retake it. But when AMCAS says: "Medical schools need to discern whether or not MCAT scores from calendar year 2011 should be expected in support of your application. Click yes to include upcoming or recently taken MCAT exam dates "...

...and you lie and say that you aren't...that's deception and could be the reason why a school rejects you.

Let's say that someone took an MCAT the first time and managed a 30. But let's say it was pure luck (I know this is a stretch), they retake it and end up with a 25.

There are some schools that only look at your last MCAT score. If you didn't tell them that you retook it, and they had offered you an interview and saw your MCAT score change from a 30 to a 25...they wouldn't be too happy. Even if you improved the score, I'm sure they still wouldn't appreciate the fact that you didn't tell them that you had taken the test again as they need all of your updated info before reaching a decision for your app.

That's why schools hold off on your app regardless of what your original MCAT score was.

No, and if the OP isn't satisfied with his MCAT score then he should retake it. But when AMCAS says: "Medical schools need to discern whether or not MCAT scores from calendar year 2011 should be expected in support of your application. Click yes to include upcoming or recently taken MCAT exam dates "...

...and you lie and say that you aren't...that's deception and could be the reason why a school rejects you.

Let's say that someone took an MCAT the first time and managed a 30. But let's say it was pure luck (I know this is a stretch), they retake it and end up with a 25.

There are some schools that only look at your last MCAT score. If you didn't tell them that you retook it, and they had offered you an interview and saw your MCAT score change from a 30 to a 25...they wouldn't be too happy. Even if you improved the score, I'm sure they still wouldn't appreciate the fact that you didn't tell them that you had taken the test again as they need all of your updated info before reaching a decision for your app.

That's why schools hold off on your app regardless of what your original MCAT score was.

Oh, got it. That makes sense. Thanks!

Thanks. I definitely concur that honesty is the best policy regarding applications.

Now, I know I am splitting hairs at this point, but just out of curiosity, what do you think of the idea of cancelling my current MCAT registration, submitting the AMCAS application saying that they should not expect additional MCATs, then sign up for the MCATs the next day?

BTW, I plan on submitting on June 14th regardless if I retake the MCATs or not so at least my application will have gone through the AMCAS verification process.

Do you think it would make that big of a difference if my application is complete at schools sometime in June vs. August 6th?

Side question, I haven’t looked at a MSAR in a while, but does it indicate which schools have the policy of accepting the highest MCAT score?

Now, I know I am splitting hairs at this point, but just out of curiosity, what do you think of the idea of cancelling my current MCAT registration, submitting the AMCAS application saying that they should not expect additional MCATs, then sign up for the MCATs the next day?

Think about what you said there. If you're bargaining like this you know that you're doing something wrong. No matter how you try to work the system you're still trying to convince adcoms that you're NOT retaking the MCAT when you are.

And even if your scores go up, what will you say when they ask you why you didnt put it in your application? OR even worse: when they ask you why you didnt update them with your intent to retake?

You're going to have to decide whether or not you're going to retake and then be honest with AMCAS about it.

Ok let me ask you this: What schools are you applying to? I can tell you the average MCAT scores and ranges based on last year's MSAR (I have the book).