Application Tips with Apply Point: Waitlist Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
News you have been waitlisted at one of the medical schools on your list is disappointing. But the game isn’t over.

"What are my chances of getting off a waitlist (in a good way)?” Your chances of getting off the waitlist are directly related to the school’s yield percentage. If, for example, a school has a 90% yield, your chances of getting off the waitlist are slim. Some medical schools have rolling waitlists that they review throughout the interview season. Some waitlists are ranked while others are not. Most waitlists are non-rolling, and they will consider waitlist applicants only after May 15th, when all accepted students can hold only one acceptance. For medical schools that start classes before July 30th, however, you must hold only one acceptance as of April 15th (rather than May 15th).

You can influence your chance of being selected from the waitlist of any school by continuing to showcase your interest in their program through update letters, visits, and meetings with professors, admissions directors, and current students. You can also craft a letter of intent to your first-choice program, and quasi-letters of intent (I am likely to attend or X school is one of my top choices).

Read more about the waitlist on our blog: Waitlisted? Here’s What to Expect.

Members don't see this ad.