application to pre med (international)

james w

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am currently in my last year of high school in South Africa. I visited the US last year to take a look at universities and made arrangements to visit. I was originally looking at universities that offered cycling as I am an avid cyclist. I was planning on doing a business degree, but over the last year have had a change in heart and would like to go into the medical field. I however have business subjects at school such as Economics, Accounting and Mathematics. Do you have to have a science background at school in order to study pre med with the subjects required to enter med school after? I have gathered quite a bit of information about the US system, I understand that I will need to write SAT’s etc.. But do not know much about pre med and the requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all

I am currently in my last year of high school in South Africa. I visited the US last year to take a look at universities and made arrangements to visit. I was originally looking at universities that offered cycling as I am an avid cyclist. I was planning on doing a business degree, but over the last year have had a change in heart and would like to go into the medical field. I however have business subjects at school such as Economics, Accounting and Mathematics. Do you have to have a science background at school in order to study pre med with the subjects required to enter med school after? I have gathered quite a bit of information about the US system, I understand that I will need to write SAT’s etc.. But do not know much about pre med and the requirements.

Absolutely not required. The only classes required to apply are one full year of college-level: biology, chemistry, physics, and organic chemistry. The first three have no prerequisites, so you could take them whenever you want no problem, whereas orgo's only prereq is chemistry, so you'll take that no earlier than sophomore year. If you take those classes and do well, you could major in anything you want - med schools take a huge number of humanities-types majors every year. It's usually a good idea to take some higher-level coursework on top of those four classes to really emphasize your capacity for medicine, but to bring it back around to your question - NONE of this requires ANYthing from high school level. You are completely fine. =P