application to school of complementary medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stwei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on applying to schools dealing with complementary medicine such as Doctorate in chiropractic medicine or Master's in Oriental medicine to beef up your chances of getting into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by stwei
Why and how would this be the case? Check out

http://www.georgetown.edu/departments/physiology/cam/index.html

While some schools have classes/programs in alternative/complementary medicine, many of them will not hold a degree from an Oriental medicine or Chiropractic school in high regard.

I'm not saying that I would be a negative everywhere, as I don't believe it would be, but I just don't think it would be overly helpful...especially considering the time & money it would take to get the degree.

I would agree...if you decision is Western Medicine....I would spent my time, money and efforts on buffing up my application...taking extra undergrad classes if GPA is an issue...doing research...getting medically involved...etc.

Going to a whole different philosophy of medicine shows no real committment to MD/DO medical education....

I recieved my doctorate in chiropractic before applying to medical school, but I didn't pursue that career with the intentions of thinking it would "beef" up my application. I went down that path because of my "alternative" upbringing. Chiro school sparked my interest in medicine, very ironic huh??? If you are really interested in alternative healthcare I would suggest you complete a medical degree and then go to chiropractic school...

Please tell me more - which chiro school did you go to? what hurdles did you have to go through as a DC to apply to med school? What do you think about National? Did you consider the Carribeans at some point?

Hi stwei,
I went to Parker in Dallas, Texas. I feel its a very good school, of course there is always room for improvement. I don't really know if my suggestions would be really applicable for the profession as a whole, or if I feel that way because of my interest in medicine. I knew after the first few year of chiro school that I was definately interested in something more. I have respect for my teachers and those who only wanted to pursue the conservative side of healthcare, but personally I wanted the added responsibility and the opportunity to offer more to patients. After school I practiced for a few years, had a baby, then decided it was time to get back into school. I got basic info about the MCAT, studied at home, took the test and now I'm just waiting to start school. I never thought about going out of the country, I'd just rather stay here if possible.

I don't know much about National. I only know about the school I attended. At this point I don't know exactly how the schools will compare, but having this education going into med school cant hurt. I also feel that chiro school is quite a bit more involved than most people give credit for. Let me know if you have more questions

Btw, do you know where to check for the highest board scores?

Do you mean scores for national boards part 1-4? I didn't know they were posted anywhere. Maybe check national board of chiropractic examiners????

hokte-

So you went to Parker? Tell me, how was the education? I had considered (actually, been accepted - not hard, hand 'em a transcript and pay your matriculation fee) going there, but as I rolled up on the start date, I just had an uneasy feeling about the future as a chiropractor. Then I went to an open house at TCOM Ft. Worth and had a blast. It looks liek they get the best of both worlds.

Anyway, was Parker full of a lot of 'Innate Intelligence' mumbo jumbo and 'finding/fixing vertebral subluxations' or was it more evidence based? When did you go?

Don't mean to interrupt...
but just wanted to add 2 cents. Northwestern Health Sciences University is a very evidence based chiro school, if you have that interest. (In MN) You are going to run into the innate intelligence theory just about everywhere in the chiro world, as it is the basis of the DC philosophy. But, we also just got a 2 mil grant from NIH to study the effects of manipulation on neck pain. I also believe we get a great education. Take it for what it's worth. (not to downplay Parker, I have a friend who graduated from there recently, and I believe he got a good education.)
Toodles!

Hey guys,
I graduated from Parker in 1999. You hear quite a bit about innate intelligence, but I still think Parker is more into science than chiropractic philosophy. My childhood was filled with alternative medicine, that's why I gravitated toward this field. The basic science classes at Parker were actually my motivating factor to study medicine. I still respect chiropractic, I just want to be able to offer more in regards to patient care. As I stated before if I had to do it again, I'd probably get the medical education first, then go to chiropractic school. Either way I'd still go to chiro school. I think Parker had an excellent basic sciences program.

Hey JenMac, do you know Dr. Coelho??? He's so sweet!!

Bye yall....

No, but I LOVE that book. One of my all time favorites.