Application Transcript 4.0 GPA Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DHCopeland

DHCopeland
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for the help.

I have gotten myself into quite an interesting bind and I really do not know what to do.

Basically, like many others, I am on a UC quarter system and only mid-June got my grades back.

Now for the complicated parts...

Until this last spring quarter I have managed to maintain a 4.0 GPA. (37 MCAT!) This quarter I got a B+ in an Enzyme and Receptor class... Talk about crappy news.

I had planned to submit my application really early in June so I already sent in a transcript mid-May which obviously does not have my spring grades.

Unfortunately, my application prep took longer than expected. I will be completing my application no later than Tuesday of next week.

So, here is the question, do I update grades on application and ask school to send another transcript, or submit as is with the transcript that they already have and leaving out my spring grades?

There a quite a few things to consider.

1. I will lose my 4.0 GPA on my application. I have no clue what the new GPA would be as I transferred institutions. Though probably something like 3.95.
  2. I have already sent in a transcript, so if I update grades now and submit and they start verification, it wont pass verification.
  3. It will take at least a week and a half until the new transcript could even be sent in, thus further postponing my verification.
  4. Again i do not know how verification process handles multiple versions of transcripts from schools...
  5. If I do not update grades in application, I have read I will need to update the schools with my grades. Does this mean I will need to write a letter and actually draw attention to the B+? Or will it just be something in the secondary application?
  6. I do not want it to look like I am/was hiding something, though obviously I would like to apply with a 4.0 GPA.
  7. I did take a lot of summer classes last summer so I do have a full years worth of classes for my Junior year even without my spring quarter.
So I really appreciate any educated advice on this matter.

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

You have got to be kidding me.
Neuroticism at its finest :laugh:.

OP: if you get rejected or waitlisted at a school, it's not going to be because of your GPA (3.95). Don't stress out over this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha. I was once like you OP. I had a 4.0 for a while. When I got my first B I almost died! Haha. I have 3 B's total.Now I have a 3.9. Trust me, it doesn't make that much difference. I have been told that a 3.8-4.0 are generally seen in the same light. So, definitely update your grades. Take a deep breath, you are still a good student.

WHAT?
B+?
B+ in... ENZYME AND RECEPTOR?
Erick Tsai, how did you get b+ in enzyme and receptor huh?
We come all the way from that far country China and we born you here in America just so you can get b+?

I have gotten myself into quite an interesting bind and I really do not know what to do.

Basically, like many others, I am on a UC quarter system and only mid-June got my grades back.

Until this last spring quarter I have managed to maintain a 4.0 GPA. (37 MCAT!) This quarter I got a B+ in an Enzyme and Receptor class... Talk about crappy news.

I had planned to submit my application really early in June so I already sent in a transcript mid-May which obviously does not have my spring grades.

Unfortunately, my application prep took longer than expected. I will be completing my application no later than Tuesday of next week.

So, here is the question, do I update grades on application and ask school to send another transcript, or submit as is with the transcript that they already have and leaving out my spring grades?

1. I will lose my 4.0 GPA on my application. I have no clue what the new GPA would be as I transferred institutions. Though probably something like 3.95.
  2. I have already sent in a transcript, so if I update grades now and submit and they start verification, it wont pass verification.
  3. It will take at least a week and a half until the new transcript could even be sent in, thus further postponing my verification.
  4. Again i do not know how verification process handles multiple versions of transcripts from schools...
  5. If I do not update grades in application, I have read I will need to update the schools with my grades. Does this mean I will need to write a letter and actually draw attention to the B+? Or will it just be something in the secondary application?
  6. I do not want it to look like I am/was hiding something, though obviously I would like to apply with a 4.0 GPA.
  7. I did take a lot of summer classes last summer so I do have a full years worth of classes for my Junior year even without my spring quarter.

Thanks again

I'm in the exact same situation; except, I got an 'A- 'in my Enzymes and Receptor class.
mi crey evrytim :'(

OP, if amcas were to look up your grades on ClearingHouse at this very second, it would show your B+, since the grades have already become official. If you don't resend your transcript, it will delay your app for sure.

Gais, my 4.0 is now a 3.9893928, will that keep me out of Nursing School?

Hey OP, don't worry. I got *gasp* TWO whole A-'s, and that brought me down to a horrendous 3.98. ;) I'm sure your gpa will still be 3.98-3.99, esp considering that it was just one quarter class (I am on UC semester).

Only a 37 MCAT???? AND you got a B+???? You might as well resign yourself to CNA school.

Thank you all for the good fun. I know I may have come off a little obsessive, but that is not really the case. I am not concerned the one B+ will keep me out of medical school or something... (Though it does suck...) I know, first world problems...

Mostly my question revolves around the fact that I already sent in a transcript without the Spring grades and now I don't know what to do. How will verification work if they start it before my new transcript arrives?

Members don't see this ad :)
billcosbyfacepalm.gif

This thread is unbelievable.
1) Brags about his mcat score for no reason
2) Thinks one B+ is the end of the world, as if that one grade will affect anything

Everyone needs to just calm down. While there are certainly worse problems to have, med school apps are a big deal and all freak outs are understandable in some right.

I called AMCAS the other day, and you can't update your transcripts through them if you submitted your app already. If you haven't, I'd say just go for it. I think completing more relevant coursework outweighs getting a B+ in one of the classes.

Thanks again

Leave out the B+

I was on the quarter system too. My AMCAS never reflected my spring quarter grades for the year I applied.

Med schools wont see that B+ until you send them an updated official transcript after you are already accepted.

There was a time when trolling actually means something.

For some reason I went against my better judgement and read this thread even though the title says "4.0 GPA Dilemma."

With that said, I'm fairly disappointed in the mild tone of responses to the OP.

Sorry buddy, there's no room for errors in becoming a doctor. What if you make a mistake in the OR? I hear investment banking pays well for people who aren't perfect.