Application Typos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBodacious

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man, I just printed out my "Experiences" from my AMCAS to give to a prof for a LOR and I immediately found like 5 stupid spelling typos. I don't know how the heck this happened cause I thought I ran spell check like 5 times on everything. Anybody got any speculations about how this will effect my chances? I'm applying to some really good schools (PENN, U of Chi, Pitt, NW) and some others (Loyola, Chi Med, Drex, Temple, Penn state). I got a 34R on my MCAT so I'm not a ***** and I have clinical and research experiences, fairly good LORs, but I go to a so-so state school. I guess I just screwed up on my app. Too late to worry now, hope admissions people just skim my app and I at least get some freakin interviews.:eek: :confused: :(

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think a typo overshadows years of work. all of that is overrated in my mind.

don't worry they know your human

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah...i proofread my stuff at least 20 times before i sent it in. i go in two weeks later to print out my statement and find 6 typos. (don't ask me how they got there...in fact, i think the error was in amcas processing.) anyway, i'm in shock--it's the end, no one will admit me, i have to reapply- b/c when i was working, even a minor typo on a resume = death sentence = no job. so i called amcas and begged them to change the errors for about 30 minutes but to no avail. long story short, i sucked it up and sent it in as is. in the end, it didn't even matter :) . you'll be fine, don't worry....chances are no-one will even notice.

I got an interview at Yale (first week of interviews) despite a typo on my secondary. They didn't mention it at the interview. However, I'm sure it would be better if it weren't there. Anyways, it's not the end of the world. Good luck.

thanks for the reassuring words dookbloo and hopeful. I guess that's all I was looking for. I really don't want to take a year off!

I found typos in several schools admissions catalogs and brochures... haha

my personal fave typo is on the usc online secondary:

"Briefly describe any unique qualities and <b>ablilites</b> you possess..."

what the hell is an Ablilite?

Originally posted by Slickness
It is an amphibian most common in south east asia known for its ability to change color serving as a defense mechanism, and its unusually long tongue.

oh awesome, come to think of it i do possess a couple ablilites, they live under my porch. should i mention this on my application or do you think the adcom will look poorly on the fact that they live under my porch and that i didnt try and take better care of them and bring them into my home. i'm really worried, please give me some advice

Yeah.. after you read it a gazillion times over again and then try reformatting it onto the AMCAS application.. sometimes strange things happen and as you proof-read you overlook strange typos. Such as strange question marks appearing here and there. Ack. Had a heart attack.