Applications and Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p2vanlon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested to hear the thoughts of SDN on this topic. Other members in my Pre-Dent group have varying opinions.

All things being equal:

Do you think adcoms give any consideration to applicants whose letter of rec from a dentist is written by an alumni of the university?

I feel like this may fall in to the nepotism area when considering applicants who are legacies and such. Just seems like a letter from an alumni who makes contributions to the school etc. would carry a little more weight with an adcom.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested to hear the thoughts of SDN on this topic. Other members in my Pre-Dent group have varying opinions.

All things being equal:

Do you think adcoms give any consideration to applicants whose letter of rec from a dentist is written by an alumni of the university?

I feel like this may fall in to the nepotism area when considering applicants who are legacies and such. Just seems like a letter from an alumni who makes contributions to the school etc. would carry a little more weight with an adcom.

What do you guys think?

Unless he or she is a very well known alumnus/alumna, probably not. At least I hope not. Just let your own merit speak for itself.

I think it helps. How much? Probably not much. It's probably one of those tie breaker sort of things I'm guessing.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can't hurt. Don't rest your laurels on it though. It probably would not guarantee you admission into that school.

It can't hurt. Don't rest your laurels on it though. It probably would not guarantee you admission into that school.

I am not referencing my situation specifically...the topic just came up in one of our PDO meetings and I was curious what SDN's thoughts were.

Most people apply to a pretty large amount of schools, so it is relatively irrelevant to the total process. I do share the opinion that it couldn't hurt in the end.