Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my first rejection today (Hopkins) :( Luckily I had already decided I didn't want to go there, mainly because it was a MHS and the curriculum didn't exactly suit me, so i was just waiting to see what they would say out of curiosity :p

I also just got my last acceptance! Finally, all the waiting is done :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks, kumo21! Does anyone planning to attend SDSU know where to find affordable apartments nearby (less expensive than on-campus housing)?

I would start checking on Craigslist. I just moved from a 1 bedroom in City Heights (near SDSU) and it was $800/month for 600 sq feet. That's a good price for SD but you can find better, especially if you have a roommate. The area surrounding SDSU is called College Area. Other surrounding neighborhoods you may want to check out is City Heights, North Park, Mission Gorge, and La Mesa. I'm not sure what you're looking for or what kind of neighborhood you'd like but that's a start.

Thanks, kumo21! Does anyone planning to attend SDSU know where to find affordable apartments nearby (less expensive than on-campus housing)?

I check rent.com you can find a bunch for 2 bedroom apt. for 1100 within 1 mile of sdsu, so 550 for your own room or 275 if you double up. Also, you get a $100 dollar visa card for mentioning rent.com =D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on the wait list for Columbia's Health Policy and Management program. Does anyone know what the deadline is for those who have been admitted to the program to submit their deposits?

I'm on the wait list for Columbia's Health Policy and Management program. Does anyone know what the deadline is for those who have been admitted to the program to submit their deposits?

The email I received said by 04/15/2012.

There is an Admitted Students Day on the 13th, where they hope to convince the HPM applicants. Good luck!

I was never notified of my status for the UNC HBHE mph program and when I called I was unofficially told I was on the top of the waitlist, but they gave me no indication of how long it might take to hear. Is anyone else waitlisted to UNC HBHE or in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was never notified of my status for the UNC HBHE mph program and when I called I was unofficially told I was on the top of the waitlist, but they gave me no indication of how long it might take to hear. Is anyone else waitlisted to UNC HBHE or in a similar situation?

I applied for Phd program with UNC HBHE. I had called them earlier last week and they said I would get the letter in the mail this week. When I asked if they knew if it was an accept/ reject, they said they could not tell me over the phone. I am dying here....this is my only chance for fall 2012...else i have to reapply for next fall :(

Do you know if waiting this long is a bad thing? or a good thing?

Hey all! Congrats to everyone...just wanted to share my experience

I applied for MHA programs or MPH programs that focused on health management

Applied: GWU, BU, UPitt, Yale, Drexel,Columbia, OSU, UMD, U of I Chicago
Accepted: Drexel, Columbia, UMD, U of I Chicago
I had interviews at GWU, UPitt, and OSU but cancelled them once I heard from Columbia (my dream school)
Rejected from Yale and still haven't heard from BU
Attending: Columbia :)

I applied for Phd program with UNC HBHE. I had called them earlier last week and they said I would get the letter in the mail this week. When I asked if they knew if it was an accept/ reject, they said they could not tell me over the phone. I am dying here....this is my only chance for fall 2012...else i have to reapply for next fall :(

Do you know if waiting this long is a bad thing? or a good thing?
I don't know if waiting such a long time is a good or bad thing, but it worked out for me (I just got my letter over the weekend that said I was accepted). Good luck!!

Officially just declined Columbia SMS program... I hope someone that wanted to go there as badly as I did gets off the wait list and takes my place.

While Columbia gave me a small need-based scholarship, the amount of loans that I would have to take out were tremendous and I felt financially irresponsible doing so. Columbia was my first choice and it was a very difficult decision for me to make.

Accepted: Columbia (SMS), CUNY:Hunter (Community Health Education), UMDNJ (Behavioral Science & Health Education)
Rejected: None
Attending: UMDNJ

Stats:
GPA: 3.9 at a small public school
GRE: Verbal - 84%, Quant - 67%, AW - 96%
Major: Psychology, Minor: Gerontology

Has anyone intending to go to SDSU heard anything after sending in their SIR postcard?

Has anyone intending to go to SDSU heard anything after sending in their SIR postcard?

I sent in my SIR postcard, my webportal changed to "admitted" and "classified graduate" about 2 weeks after I mailed it out. They got all my financial aid done as well. All loans, whoo!

Officially just declined Columbia SMS program... I hope someone that wanted to go there as badly as I did gets off the wait list and takes my place.

While Columbia gave me a small need-based scholarship, the amount of loans that I would have to take out were tremendous and I felt financially irresponsible doing so. Columbia was my first choice and it was a very difficult decision for me to make.

Accepted: Columbia (SMS), CUNY:Hunter (Community Health Education), UMDNJ (Behavioral Science & Health Education)
Rejected: None
Attending: UMDNJ

Stats:
GPA: 3.9 at a small public school
GRE: Verbal - 84%, Quant - 67%, AW - 96%
Major: Psychology, Minor: Gerontology

You are very brave. Earlier this week I decided to decline PhD scholarship offer from the University of Rochester, a good school (the reason was I am not ready to take PhD). It was so hard at that time but I know I won't regret.

Finger crossed for your study at UMDNJ :)

I sent in my SIR postcard, my webportal changed to "admitted" and "classified graduate" about 2 weeks after I mailed it out. They got all my financial aid done as well. All loans, whoo!

Kumo and Fernweh are you both attending SDSU for sure? If so, then see you in the fall! :D

Thanks - mine changed today, about two weeks after I sent mine in. Whew. No news about loans, though.

That housing application is interesting - it seems like it is intended for undergraduates? It didn't mention Piedra del Sol or Emerald Isle and asked about what meal plan we wish to use.

Kumo and Fernweh are you both attending SDSU for sure? If so, then see you in the fall! :D

I am!

You are very brave. Earlier this week I decided to decline PhD scholarship offer from the University of Rochester, a good school (the reason was I am not ready to take PhD). It was so hard at that time but I know I won't regret.

Finger crossed for your study at UMDNJ :)

Which UMDNJ campus you at?

As an MD, Class 2010 NJMS (UMDNJ-Newark), current resident in surgery at NJMS, and soon to be an MPH student in Quantitative Methods (my department is subsidizing my tuition while I am doing research in the lab, which I was going to be doing regardless, so getting an MPH on top of that to boot isn't too shabby), UMDNJ aint too shabby. And it very well may be Rutgers by the time we graduate, which will have a bit more name recognition than UMDNJ (but not sure how that will effect my departmental tuition break) - I'd just prefer all my degrees have the same banner on them however.

Thanks - mine changed today, about two weeks after I sent mine in. Whew. No news about loans, though.

That housing application is interesting - it seems like it is intended for undergraduates? It didn't mention Piedra del Sol or Emerald Isle and asked about what meal plan we wish to use.

I am!

Yea the housing application does seem intended for UG, I'll be looking into apartments next to the campus. Would anyone care to rent together? =D

2 bd/ 1 or 2 bath 1100-1300
3bd/2 bath 1450-1800

Now that SDSU is enticing me with a grant that basically = free tuition, it's very likely that I will go to SDSU as well haha unless UCI accepts me and manages to one up them somehow :)

Yea the housing application does seem intended for UG, I'll be looking into apartments next to the campus. Would anyone care to rent together? =D

2 bd/ 1 or 2 bath 1100-1300
3bd/2 bath 1450-1800

I may be interested if it works out. I still need to find a place.

Hi, Congratulations...

I got interview call from Saint Louis University for MPH Health Policy & Management Program. Can you please tell us what kind of questions are generally asked in interviews.

I am fresh college graduate and have no work experience. Thanks.

Hey all! Congrats to everyone...just wanted to share my experience

I applied for MHA programs or MPH programs that focused on health management

Applied: GWU, BU, UPitt, Yale, Drexel,Columbia, OSU, UMD, U of I Chicago
Accepted: Drexel, Columbia, UMD, U of I Chicago
I had interviews at GWU, UPitt, and OSU but cancelled them once I heard from Columbia (my dream school)
Rejected from Yale and still haven't heard from BU
Attending: Columbia :)

Hi, Congratulations...

I got interview call from Saint Louis University for MPH Health Policy & Management Program. Can you please tell me what kind of questions are generally asked in interviews.

I am fresh college graduate and have no work experience. Thanks.

Hi Mark

I had a phone interview with saint louis...it was really good , why MPH ? why our program? what are u planning to do next? things like that...good luck

I don't know if waiting such a long time is a good or bad thing, but it worked out for me (I just got my letter over the weekend that said I was accepted). Good luck!!

Congratulations!!!! I hope it is a good thing. The person on the phone refuses to give me any information. I am still waiting :(

So received an email today from SDSU that my status has changed to "waitlisted". I love how they send this email to me 6 months after I turned in my application. Thanks SDSU, but no thanks, I'll stick with LLU.

Hi Mark

I had a phone interview with saint louis...it was really good , why MPH ? why our program? what are u planning to do next? things like that...good luck

Thanks a lot. It means they will ask general questions only.
Who interviewed you (if you can remind the name of the professor) and are you attending SLU..

Thanks a lot. It means they will ask general questions only.
Who interviewed you (if you can remind the name of the professor) and are you attending SLU..

Dr. Elder, he was really nice . well, i'm still thinking about it. i still have another interview then will see. good luck

Dr. Elder, he was really nice . well, i'm still thinking about it. i still have another interview then will see. good luck

Thanks. After how much time they informed you about admission decision and whats the tuition fee. If it is Ok with can u please tell me about your GRE scores and undergrad major, GPA.. so that I can evaluate my chances for admission..

My undergrad GPA is 3.2 ( B.Pharmacy), GRE - 1190 ( V-530, Q-660). Thanks again.

Where are people waitlisted at this point? Is anyone waitlisted at UCLA for CHS?

I've been waitlisted at UCLA for EPI :/ I just want them to give me a final answer! and not tease me like this...

Thanks. After how much time they informed you about admission decision and whats the tuition fee. If it is Ok with can u please tell me about your GRE scores and undergrad major, GPA.. so that I can evaluate my chances for admission..

My undergrad GPA is 3.2 ( B.Pharmacy), GRE - 1190 ( V-530, Q-660). Thanks again.

I got my acceptance letter in a week, but haven't heard from them after that. i asked for the tuition but didn't get an answer or the package yet. don't worry your scores are good :) good luck

I've also been wait listed at UCLA for EHS. But I've been accepted to Drexel and Thomas Jefferson as well. Is one particularly better than the other? Are there any grads who can give their 2 cents on these programs? I've seen little to no mention of the Thomas Jefferson program

Thanks

does anyone know the difference between UCLA and Berkeley?
and if i have already gone to berkeley for undergrad, should i just go to UCLA to experience something different? i do miss berkeley, though, and the public transportation there is great.

Wait listed at BU for HPM :-(

Anyone else wait listed there?

Good luck to all my fellow wait listers!! :)

Was anyone else accepted to UAB (epi)? I was and I'm trying to decide between UAB and Drexel (epi&biostat). Any advice about either program?

Wait listed at BU for HPM :-(

Anyone else wait listed there?

Good luck to all my fellow wait listers!! :)

Yeah, for Epi. They told me I can send in my spring transcripts, and mail them an additional letter of rec. to help my chances of being accepted off of the wait list, you might want to check with your department first, but I'm sure it's the same if you have some additional documents you'd like to send in!

Good Luck!

My application got sent to the wrong department at UCLA. Does anyone know about appeals - are they worth it?

For now, I'm deciding between USC, SDSU, and Colorado. Which programs are best?

My application got sent to the wrong department at UCLA. Does anyone know about appeals - are they worth it?

For now, I'm deciding between USC, SDSU, and Colorado. Which programs are best?

Whether it's worth it depends on your reasons for wanting to go there vs. elsewhere. If it's your first choice (and still your first choice), I'd say go for it. Good luck.

did anyone get waitlisted at Yale and then got off the waitlist? what is the number of people that got accepted for 2011 and 2012?

Last edited:
i am in at ucla but i am starting to have doubts about going there. the city is very busy and traffic is horrendous, i just moved here from the east coast and there is no transportation system??? how are people dealing with driving toschool? does anyone else feel anxious about this? and what do people think about the SPH students there? i wasn't able to go to the visit day so i'd like to get an idea of what the students are like, ty!

i am in at ucla but i am starting to have doubts about going there. the city is very busy and traffic is horrendous, i just moved here from the east coast and there is no transportation system??? how are people dealing with driving toschool? does anyone else feel anxious about this? and what do people think about the SPH students there? i wasn't able to go to the visit day so i'd like to get an idea of what the students are like, ty!

traffic is bad, but most students live near campus (within a 5mi radius).

what department are you in?