Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CHS, what department and year are you? if you are an 2nd year, can you please give me an idea of what ucla is like and if you came from the la area

Members don't see this ad.

why did the public health thread die out so quickly after one got accepted into schools? is anyone else excited about starting in the fall?????

why did the public health thread die out so quickly after one got accepted into schools? is anyone else excited about starting in the fall?????

Hey, I'm excited too! I would blame human nature--everyone gets their answers and then don't need the forum anymore. I'm looking forward to New Orleans, though... :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha! I think it's a vicious cycle. Fewer people post, which lowers our expectations of the forum, which makes us even less likely to post, and so on.

In any case, I'm glad you brought this up, because I have missed our little public health applicant/future student community. I feel like I need even more support now than I did during the application cycle. I am terribly excited, but also just plain terrified:

- I am moving to North Carolina, a state in which I have never set foot and where I know not a single soul. In fact, I have never even set foot in the American South. (But I am hoping very much that the stereotype about sitting on the verandah and sipping mint juleps all day is true.)

- I have not written a research paper in English (I was a foreign language major) since the spring of 2005.

- I fear, in my darkest moments, that everyone else in the program will be brilliant, and I will be the admission committee's lone mistake.

So, if anyone else out there is feeling excitement, anxiety, or both, please know that you are in good company!

I'm excited! :) Maybe we should start a decisions thread.

- I am moving to North Carolina, a state in which I have never set foot and where I know not a single soul. In fact, I have never even set foot in the American South. (But I am hoping very much that the stereotype about sitting on the verandah and sipping mint juleps all day is true.)

North Carolina / the south is awesome!! It's so beautiful and green and friendly, and there are mountains and white beaches. And hippies in the mountains! The stereotype is very true if you want it to be. ;)

This also happens to be sort of an awkward time, where most people have made decisions yet the next batch of applicants has not shifted into application mode.

Maybe more significantly, the threads on this board are heavily tilted towards "X school???", "X vs. Y school???", and "Class of X school/accepted to X school!!!!" It's mainly people asking questions and getting answers. There's much less social discussion and engagement with issues in public health in general, and that's probably the reason there isn't as much of a community as you might see on the MD/DO boards on SDN.

You were asking about this thread in particular, but I feel that this is also an area of improvement for the forum as a whole.

Ha! I think it's a vicious cycle. Fewer people post, which lowers our expectations of the forum, which makes us even less likely to post, and so on.

In any case, I'm glad you brought this up, because I have missed our little public health applicant/future student community. I feel like I need even more support now than I did during the application cycle. I am terribly excited, but also just plain terrified:

- I have not written a research paper in English (I was a foreign language major) since the spring of 2005.

- I fear, in my darkest moments, that everyone else in the program will be brilliant, and I will be the admission committee's lone mistake.

So, if anyone else out there is feeling excitement, anxiety, or both, please know that you are in good company!
NC is a wonderful place. I'm from DC and spent my entire undergraduate career there (I went to NC State; one of UNC's hugest rivals). It is nothing but colleges and college students there. Everyone tends to be very encouraging and supportive; ppl work in groups alot bc they want everyone to succeed. It's not at all cut-throat like a few schools up north would be. A lot of young adults in the RDU area. If you're from a big city it will take some getting used to the pace of the south... it is much slower but it's refreshing.

If you're a runner or like a refreshing walk go to Duke gardens; love to shop at great little boutiques go to Cameron Village in Raleigh; go to the beach (it's only 2 hrs away); and you must go to a UNC/NCSU game... pure rivalry!!!

Congratulations on UNC! I'm sure it will be a great experience.

I am applying to MPH schools this winter as part of a career change. I went to a UK university and studied English and Spanish (graduated with a 3.4) but I do have experience volunteering in a few countries and am currently volunteering at an HIV/ AIDs organisation. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into MPH programs without a whole lot of health-specific experience academically? The schools I'm thinking of applying to are:
BU, UNC (MCH), Emory (Global Health), UCLA, Tulane, UW, UI-Chicago, Berkeley. Mostly looking at Global Health as I feel this is most up my alley. Any advice would be VERY appreciated on admissions, type of applicants they accept, etc. Thanks!

Anyone still check this? Where did you end up choosing and are you glad? I'm currently deciding for fall 2013.