Applied today Oct. 10...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I had already put in my application, but after reading through many posts, I finally got motivated to apply to 5 programs in the northeast(like yale, mt. sinai, tufts, ...) that I didnt think that I had a chance. I have got a decent step 1 (243) and not much else.

Do you think it matters that I turned in my application this late? Most of those have sent out interviews I think.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm...u're about a month after the sept 1 date...i think since ur app is new programs will look at it, were u waiting for ur step 2 scores or something? ur step 1 score is great. if i were u i'd apply to more programs, i don't understand why or what u're waiting for, did i miss something from another post?

I am taking my step 2 at the end of the week.

1) i have already applied to quite a few mid tier programs on sept 1. Lack of confidence and lack of money made it seem like applying to schools like yale and mt. sinai not worth it. But then I read some SDN posts thought hey what the hek. I'll put it in. But now I am rethinking it again!

I guess my question is if a good school has already sent out invitations to interview, is it worth it to send a late application to them, especially if you dont have good stats. I mean you already have a low likelihood of getting accepted in the first place. By sending out your application after invitations for everyone else, doesn't that just kill the deal?

2) Second related question is if say you applied to a school like Northwestern on Sept 1. Say Oct. 1 they send out invitations to interview to the first batch of applicants. Now you know you dont have anything really exceptional on the MSPE, youre an average to mediocre student, little to no honors, whatever. Can you then be sure that you wont be getting an interview after Nov 1, when they get the MSPE's?

If they have already whatever positive things you could have on your application, and they didn't invite you for an interview, could they still invite you later? Do any past sdn grads have experiences where they got their invitations much later then everyone else and ended matching there?

3) Does getting late (compared to other people) interviews signify that you will probably be lower on a programs ROL?

Members don't see this ad :)
Star you are over thinking everything...

If you would like to go to these programs..apply. The money might be an issue, but it's chump change in the grand scheme of things.

Star, you already applied to the 5 new programs and already paid. So its too late to talk about the utility of applying or whether it's worth it. Be patient and keep your fingers crossed :thumbup:

Good luck!

I am taking my step 2 at the end of the week.

1) i have already applied to quite a few mid tier programs on sept 1. Lack of confidence and lack of money made it seem like applying to schools like yale and mt. sinai not worth it. But then I read some SDN posts thought hey what the hek. I'll put it in. But now I am rethinking it again!
Good! I'm relieved you've applied to more than 5 programs. I think you should apply to all programs that you want to go to. If there is a program you really want to go but don't get invited, I would even call them. It would be a win-win situation, you'd have nothing to lose.

I guess my question is if a good school has already sent out invitations to interview, is it worth it to send a late application to them, especially if you dont have good stats. I mean you already have a low likelihood of getting accepted in the first place. By sending out your application after invitations for everyone else, doesn't that just kill the deal?
I think you've got above average Step scores, so that a definite plus. Also I think some programs have a number for how many individuals they can invite, like 60 or 100, so the earlier you get your application in the better off you maybe, although aPD can better elucidate on this point. Also, again if you really want to be at a program, get proactive and contact them!

2) Second related question is if say you applied to a school like Northwestern on Sept 1. Say Oct. 1 they send out invitations to interview to the first batch of applicants. Now you know you dont have anything really exceptional on the MSPE, youre an average to mediocre student, little to no honors, whatever. Can you then be sure that you wont be getting an interview after Nov 1, when they get the MSPE's?

If they have already whatever positive things you could have on your application, and they didn't invite you for an interview, could they still invite you later? Do any past sdn grads have experiences where they got their invitations much later then everyone else and ended matching there?
So another post by aPD stated, that when you submit your application and the program initially doesn't extend you an IV, they mark your application as inactive and even if you have new material flow in b/c ur application has been marked inactive it doesn't matter and it won't alert the resident committee to upload your new material. So aPD reccommended that you submit your application asap if you don't have your LOR's and stuff, but if you're waiting on step scores or a piece of info that could significantally change ur application, then wait to submit. Many program deadlines are like mid-november, so you have a lot of time to submit and they will look at your application. The problem I see with this is that a lot of ppl have already submitted their application and many have set the bar, so if you know you can't really do anything to make ur application better and you are the average joe then just get em in....

3) Does getting late (compared to other people) interviews signify that you will probably be lower on a programs ROL?
From what I understand about matching and ranking, NO! B/C it seems like most programs give you a number after they compile resident, staff and IVing body impressions of you, the PD then has the power to move you higher and lower up on that list as he would like....I think, this is how it was explained to me at my first IV. So I highly doubt, that interviewing late is on their criteria. Things such as interpersonal skills, personality, & entities that determine your suitability at their program, etc, etc, seems to be on their criteria.

G'luck star, I also think you're overthinking it, but rightfully so...can be understood at this point in time!

A :)

When I was applying to medical school, someone told me that the only true guarantee is that if you don't apply, you won't get in.

Sure it costs money to apply to programs, but if you really want to go some place, you're not really loosing much by just trying your luck!

Thanks Ariee for clearing up Q2

I found the post that you were talking about here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=8615105#post8615105

he says:

"The second issue is: my application is basically complete. However, I am expecting some additional piece of information -- perhaps Step 2, or a fourth LOR, or AOA status. I think that this remaining piece of information will make a big difference to my application. If I apply now, could I possibly be rejected before this information has been received, and then if it comes in later will anyone notice?

The answer to this is different. Most programs do not consider step 2 to be necessary for "completion", since many AMG's will not have Step 2 prior to ranking. Hence, it is very possible that your application could be reviewed before your step 2 comes in, and you certainly can be rejected. Once you are rejected, your application is marked as "inactive". Although additional information will continue to be downloaded from the ERAS post office (such as your step 2 score), the application will no longer be reviewed unless the PD/PA runs a query asking about inactive applications. Hence, this situation is different. If you are waiting on a vital piece of information -- Step 2, and LOR, or AOA would be the ones that come to mind -- you might well be better off waiting until that result comes in."

I dont know though if it makes complete sense.

I still dont get what kind of screeing did they use to put me in the inactive status (like apd said) . I have good board scores, I dont have AOA, dont have research publications. They cant screen out for personal statement (that would be crazy if they did, but regardless mine isnt that bad). That means every single NW resident should have either AOA or some research publications. The fact that they use number of research publications as a screeing tool should be real a good piece of information for future applicants. (if i am thinking right)

Another thing that doesn't make sense, Say an applicant has good board scores like me 243, and he is in the top quartile of his class (unlike me) but not AOA. NW though hasn't even seen their MSPE so they dont know that he is in the top quartile. Basically they've rejected that guy's application no matter how well he has done in school only because he didn't have research or AOA. That would be crazy! At least for him it would have been better off if he submitted his application after Nov 1, when the MSPE comes out.

My question when reworded a third time does it make a difference if the "additional piece of information" is the MSPE, a very important part of your application.

I know I am overthinking it. I just want to completely understand the process that determines where I will be for the next three years. I think its unfair that it be something secret or hidden.

but there is a third classification that is possible. it's not just "invite" or "reject" but can be what you call "waitlist" until the MSPE comes out. so they look at your app prior nov 1st, see some potential but not enough to give you an interview yet and want to wait till the dean's letter to make that decision. I know NW does that for some of their other residency programs.

but there is a third classification that is possible. it's not just "invite" or "reject" but can be what you call "waitlist" until the MSPE comes out. so they look at your app prior nov 1st, see some potential but not enough to give you an interview yet and want to wait till the dean's letter to make that decision. I know NW does that for some of their other residency programs.

this is true, i believe. a lot of the big name programs take one of two approaches (or neither) --

1. they get your app in sept or oct. even though it is not complete (i.e. 1 LOR in, but both step 1 and 2 scores are in), but they like what they see so far, they will invite you to the program. if they don't, are uncertain, or need to see some more (i.e. MSPE) before sending out an invite, then they will wait until nov 1. this is why some peeps are getting invites to some big name places (i.e. mt sinai), but others have not heard squat yet.

2. you apply early, but it doesn't matter when because the program is collecting all the apps until nov 1. beth israel deaconess said in their email last week that they haven't even looked at a single app yet! they are waiting until the MSPE before sending out invites. i don't know how they will go through thousands of apps on novemeber 1, but i guess early novemeber will be busy for a lot of big name university programs in the northeast.

that's my 2 cents...

You're overthinking this. The 240's board score is high for IM.
Especially if you did well on Step 2, and maybe have some good LOR's and/or went to a med school known to be rigorous, you might get more interviews than you think at higher tier programs. There is a lot that is subjective in this process.

Also, don't assume every program does things like APD's program. I'm sure there are various approaches to looking at applications. I definitely think you did the right thing by adding some reaches with your Step 1 score...you may do better than you think, of no Red Flags in your application.