Apply 2015 with MCAT 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

takeonme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked numerous times already (and also if I appear clueless) but...

I would like to apply for MD schools in 2015. The only problem is that I would be taking the 2015 MCAT. I would love to take it before the change but realistically, I'm not there. Does this mean I should take it as early as possible? April for a score release in June? If I don't do as well as I would like, would there even be enough time to take it again?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

April would be the preferred time to take it IF you are fully ready. You should get your score back in May and have your app submitted early. If you end up having to retake, there would still be time and not be late.

Sent from The World Tree using SDN Mobile

Thanks Aerus! I was looking at the AAMC website and found this calendar. I'm just confused about how it may look during the application process, if I did poorly and took it again, while working on my apps. Or should/would I technically hold off on sending my application until I get the retake score, if needed?

Attachments

• mcat-calendar-2015-data.jpg
    mcat-calendar-2015-data.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 63
Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to take in April or May and submit my primary to one school. If my scores are not great then i will study all summer and retake while planning a gap year. It is not ideal but it beats applying late in the cycle?

I plan to take in April or May and submit my primary to one school. If my scores are not great then i will study all summer and retake while planning a gap year. It is not ideal but it beats applying late in the cycle?

Sorry, if this comes off as offensive, but you're applying to only one school? Does this create issues (if you do not score as well as you want to) as a 'reapplicant'? I appreciate your response and I hope we both ultimately get to where we need to be.

I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row. I'm meeting a pre-med counselor this week and sometimes they can be less than helpful. Is anyone else in this same position?

Sorry, if this comes off as offensive, but you're applying to only one school? Does this create issues (if you do not score as well as you want to) as a 'reapplicant'? I appreciate your response and I hope we both ultimately get to where we need to be.
I think it is pretty common to submit to only one school to get your primary application verified while waiting for your MCAT score. That way once you have your score you can adjust your school list and apply based on your scores. It also means that for a lot of schools you won't be a re-applicant if you decide not to apply that cycle. Raiderette has a smart plan actually.

I think it is pretty common to submit to only one school to get your primary application verified while waiting for your MCAT score. That way once you have your score you can adjust your school list and apply based on your scores. It also means that for a lot of schools you won't be a re-applicant if you decide not to apply that cycle. Raiderette has a smart plan actually.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I didn't think about that. And as a non-trad, I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I'm really pushing to apply this coming cycle although I'm sure I'll get a lot of 'what's the difference with ONE more year?'