how do mdphd programs view multiple mcat scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc132

Reaction score
just wondering how multiple scores are viewed.. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi..
does anyone know how multiple mcat scores are viewed by md/phd programs? one of my mentees scored a 497 the first time and then retook it and scored a 512. She's worried that mdphd programs will see her first score and not take her application seriously even though she made major improvement.. any insight? Other aspects of her applicatzion are decent.. 3.6 science gpa, 3.75 cum gpa and 4000+ hours of soild research. any advice will help.... thanks !
It is entirely unpredictable, but the AAMC told us to average scores for years (based on a couple of large studies they did).
In reality, there is no way of knowing how any individual evaluator will view this. Schools usually say something vague (all scores are considered).
I can tell you that these scores are quite low for MD/PhD programs.

Reactions: 5 users
Each program is a microcosmos... Some programs super-score (i.e.: take the best score of each section), some programs take the most recent score, but most programs take the best score in one sitting session (without superscoring). Committees are made up humans... you can't avoid wondering which version of you will show up.

Do not take the MCAT, if you are just averaging the same numbers or barely above your prior score. You must have a substantial improvement to be meaningful (i.e.: > 4-5 points above) in your AVERAGE pre-testing.

Happy to PM with your mentee... a 512 is tiny bit below average, but for a trainee that had less opportunities than the majority of college graduates, that is an excellent score.

Reactions: 1 users