Apply After Third Year or Take Gap Year?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teezzyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was under the illusion that if I applied for med at the end of my third year (2017), they would take my fourth year GPA into account and drop my first year which is my lowest (because the school I want to apply to drops your lowest year if you complete your degree).

But I just found out that if I apply at the end of my third year, they only look at my first three years and don't wait around to see how well I do in my fourth year, so this is putting me in a bit of a dilemma. Here is my GPA so far, and I am confident I can maintain a 3.9 - 4.0 in my last two years.

First year = 3.2
Second year = 3.9
IF I get a 3.9-4.0 in my third year (which I will lol), then my cumulative GPA for the first three years is only 3.7

I am writing the MCAT this summer, I plan on getting over a 510 (lets just consider best case scenario lol).

Here are my ECS

Arranged with a professor to do research in his lab, starting fall 2017 until the end of August 2018 - may be an opportunity for one publication.
Vice President of IT at a student club.
General member of a few clubs, one of which I participate heavily in (>1 year)
Volunteering at the hospital (>1 year)
Travel experiences.
Did a medical internship for one summer.

What are my chances if I did apply at the end of my third year like I originally planned to, keeping in mind that my GPA will be a 3.7 and that the GPA of all the applicants so far according to stats has been like .. 3.9 :( (Western Canadian medical school) I really want to avoid a gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I was under the illusion that if I applied for med at the end of my third year (2017), they would take my fourth year GPA into account and drop my first year which is my lowest (because the school I want to apply to drops your lowest year if you complete your degree).

But I just found out that if I apply at the end of my third year, they only look at my first three years and don't wait around to see how well I do in my fourth year, so this is putting me in a bit of a dilemma. Here is my GPA so far, and I am confident I can maintain a 3.9 - 4.0 in my last two years.

First year = 3.2
Second year = 3.9
IF I get a 3.9-4.0 in my third year (which I will lol), then my cumulative GPA for the first three years is only 3.7

I am writing the MCAT this summer, I plan on getting over a 510 (lets just consider best case scenario lol).

Here are my ECS

Arranged with a professor to do research in his lab, starting fall 2017 until the end of August 2018 - may be an opportunity for one publication.
Vice President of IT at a student club.
General member of a few clubs, one of which I participate heavily in (>1 year)
Volunteering at the hospital (>1 year)
Travel experiences.
Did a medical internship for one summer.

What are my chances if I did apply at the end of my third year like I originally planned to, keeping in mind that my GPA will be a 3.7 and that the GPA of all the applicants so far according to stats has been like .. 3.9 :( (Western Canadian medical school) I really want to avoid a gap year.

A 3.7 is a completely acceptable GPA for admission to medical school. That being said, I am intuiting that you are Canadian, so getting an acceptance into an allopathic medical school in the United States (assuming you don't get into any Canadian schools) will be more difficult than the typical applicant. It is impossible to directly tell you your chances of being accepted to medical school until you have taken the MCAT, but assuming a 510, you may have a chance of getting into a US allopathic medical school. However, given your upward trend, I think it would be a good idea to finish your fourth year before applying. Taking a gap year is not the worst scenario, and you want to apply when your application is most ready rather than take a chance you won't get in and will have to reapply.