WAMC (4.0) MA ORM. Gap year advice. No research? Interested in psych/neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wyck

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a psychology and neuroscience major, philosophy minor, set to graduate soon with a 4.0 GPA at a large good state school. I have not taken the MCAT yet. I currently have ~1000 hours working in an inpatient psych facility as a mental health counselor/tech working with eating disorder patients (adults and adolescents), ~200 hours volunteering as a nursing technician at a large hospital near Boston, and ~30 hours of shadowing (1 CL psychiatrist, 1 psychiatrist at eating disorder facility).

However, I have basically no research experience. I will be finishing college early with 3 years, and I didn't get involved in any labs on campus. However, I have taken some grad level courses (a seminar in ethics where I wrote a term paper; grad-level applied stats, grad-level psychopharmacology). I plan on taking a gap year to study and take the MCAT.

My question is this: should I just use the gap year to try and get the best MCAT score and get more clinical and shadowing? Or should I try to get some research experience?

There are some interesting 1 year masters programs in the UK. I'm considering the MSc Clinical Neuropsychiatry program at KCL and Birmingham since I am interested in psych and neuro, and I would get a chance to do some neuroimaging research which I'm curious about. However, this program is quite expensive. I'm open to hearing any other ideas! Thank you for your time.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

At this point, you let your research opportunities pass. I know so many psych majors who were heavily pushed to do research that I wonder how you would have avoided it, but hey... . It is your choice to do research in your gap year now.

Focus on the MCAT and score satisfactorily. I would be mindful of the UK degrees if they require you to be a medical student (or completed your medical school education) there to take those courses. It sounds like that is an expectation/requirement.
 
Welcome to the forums.

At this point, you let your research opportunities pass. I know so many psych majors who were heavily pushed to do research that I wonder how you would have avoided it, but hey... . It is your choice to do research in your gap year now.

Focus on the MCAT and score satisfactorily. I would be mindful of the UK degrees if they require you to be a medical student (or completed your medical school education) there to take those courses. It sounds like that is an expectation/requirement.
HI, thanks for the reply! I actually started as a philosophy major and focused on that my first year and a half. I became interested in philosophy of mind, which made me interested in psychology and neuroscience. My second year was focused on getting clinical experience in psych (my school helped me secure 2 internships mentioned above). Since I decided to only do 3 years (I'm OOS and college is very expensive for me), I didn't have much time to get involved in any psych/neuro labs. At my school they want a longer commitment like getting involved freshman or sophomore year and continuing until graduation. Though it is mainly my own doing; I prioritized clinical experience a lot more.
 
Last edited: