Apply for intern year now?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GiraffeAddict

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it generally recommended to apply for transitional/prelim spots now, simultaneously with your radiology apps, or do people wait until they start hearing about rads interviews?

I ask because I'm couples matching and hoping to match in the same geographic location for my entire residency. So if I don't get a rads interview in city/region "X", I won't want to apply there for internship.
 
PGY1 here doing prelim medicine at a program I sent my application to in November after I got a rads interview.

My advice is this: apply to your rads programs you like. Apply to TY programs you want, particularly if local to a top choice rads program (or wherever your spouse wants to go). Regarding prelim med programs, a half dozen times I applied AFTER I got a rads interview (a few in November, even one in January) without any issues. As soon as I got a rads invite I e-mailed the prelim med program at that school and every time they said they would interview me, a few even scheduled me before I officially sent them my application.

so in summary: Top handful of programs: apply to local TYs and prelims
Middle handful: apply to local TYs, apply to prelims once receive advanced program invitation
Bottom handful: apply to prelims only after receiving advanced invitations