Apply Late or Move Forward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Msarandme

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am from Michigan and currently applying to medical school. My primaries have yet to be submitted, but will be by the end of this week for certain. However, I am seeing lots of applicants who applied late even with stellar stats struggle to find a seat. here are my stats:
- Went to the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (Go Blue!)
- 3.98 cGPA and sGPA
- 505 MCAT (125/125/129/126)
- Currently working on a one year MBA from the Ross Business School at UofM
- ECs: 100 hours of volunteering, shadowed two physicians (MD and DO), worked in the OR, scribed for a doctor, and currently a medical assistant, also founded an organization on campus.
- Research: did an honors thesis, worked as an RA in a lab, but no publications
- LOR: 2 professors, my PI, and a doctor
- Strong personal statement I believe.

As you can tell, everything looks good except for the MCAT (which was low because life happened in the months upcoming). Also, I am extremely belated. I am going for MD and DO. Planning to apply to all my in-state schools plus some in Ohio, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

Should I full send (I am already done with everything)? Or wait next year? I just hate to wait for next year as that would mean another gap year, and maybe even retaking the MCAT (which I'm burned out from)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Like the Cubs (and the Tigers), you need to wait until next year. In the meantime, prep the hell out of the MCAT and retake in April. Scoring as you did, given your GPA, looks like a grade inflation situation which is not reassuring.

Applying late is setting yourself up for a rollercoaster of emotions and perhaps even a freeze next spring if hoping for a late season interview prevents you from getting your (re) application in promptly next May/June.

Reactions: 2 users
Grade inflation is not a thing. Umich is a very grade deflated school. I would just hate to retake MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
Grade inflation is not a thing. Umich is a very grade deflated school. I would just hate to retake MCAT
If anything, this just reinforces the fact that you could probably do better if you gave yourself the right set of circumstances. I personally think that if you can get a near-perfect GPA in a difficult curriculum, you have what it takes to score higher than the mid 500s on the MCAT. You even said yourself that life circumstances held you back from doing better this time around. It makes sense that you'd be burnt out and wary of retaking, but you should also realize that you stand to gain a lot from it.

Submitting your primary application in October is wild to me. People have done it before and gotten acceptances, but those are the exception, not the rule. Retaking your MCAT should definitely be considered, but even if for whatever reason you refuse to retake, you should instead wait until next year and submit on day 1, which will boost your chances immensely imo.

Your application is strong for DO, so I would go for MSU DO among other DO schools. Otherwise the MD option opens if you really retake your MCAT.

Your choice: do you really want to lose a year of attending salary by not trying osteopathic as you said you would, or are you really wanting the MD as the DO is not really in your plans? If you are serious about MD, you retake the MCAT. If your want to be a doctor, apply DO. Today.

Your GPA is the best thing you have going for you. A 3.98 at Michigan is indeed quite impressive. That makes your MCAT score all the more discordant. Assuming you are fluent in English, those who review your application will likely assume one of the following:

1. You're bad at standardized tests = not reassuring
2. You did not prepare well = not reassuring
3. You just choked on test day = not reassuring

Other parts of your application:
100 hours of volunteering = bottom quartile (at best)
MA, scribe, worked in OR = good clinical exposure, not unique
Research experience, no publications = some added value
1-year MBA = interesting, could raise questions depending on your motivations

Crazier things have happened than someone with your application getting into an MD school this late in the game. From my standpoint, however, it's rather frustrating to see your predicament. If you posted a better MCAT score, added some volunteering, and applied early in the cycle, you'd probably do very well.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Your MCAT score is weak for MD (6-7 basis points below the national median for acceptees).

You're fine for DO right now. The do cycle is longer, so applying now will not put you in a hole. But it is definitely too late for MD

Your application is strong for DO, so I would go for MSU DO among other DO schools. Otherwise the MD option opens if you really retake your MCAT.

Your choice: do you really want to lose a year of attending salary by not trying osteopathic as you said you would, or are you really wanting the MD as the DO is not really in your plans? If you are serious about MD, you retake the MCAT. If your want to be a doctor, apply DO. Today.
I am more than willing to go DO. MSUCOM is a great school and has great outcomes for students.

Your GPA is the best thing you have going for you. A 3.98 at Michigan is indeed quite impressive. That makes your MCAT score all the more discordant. Assuming you are fluent in English, those who review your application will likely assume one of the following:

1. You're bad at standardized tests = not reassuring
2. You did not prepare well = not reassuring
3. You just choked on test day = not reassuring

Other parts of your application:
100 hours of volunteering = bottom quartile (at best)
MA, scribe, worked in OR = good clinical exposure, not unique
Research experience, no publications = some added value
1-year MBA = interesting, could raise questions depending on your motivations

Crazier things have happened than someone with your application getting into an MD school this late in the game. From my standpoint, however, it's rather frustrating to see your predicament. If you posted a better MCAT score, added some volunteering, and applied early in the cycle, you'd probably do very well.
So maybe have been a little more specific. I have 300 hours of total volunteering (1/3 of that comes from Umich hospital and the other from two non-profit organizations). And for the Master of Management (from Ross, basically a one year MBA) basically shows that I want to bridge business and medicine, and have motivations for that. That is the #1 Program in the country. The only thing that is a drawback is the MCAT, and tbh there have been many instances where people with that score still make it. I know two people who got into two in state MD schools in 2021 with a 503, and my friend has an in state MD interview currently with a 502. I also just made it to the e-board of on-campus organization at Umich that is filled with medical students (so that is going to be helpful). I am willing to wait until next cycle, but not willing to retake the dreaded MCAT again.

It is late, but if you feel like you have seen similar successes, I would try for your in-state MDs and the DO schools like MSUCOM, MUCOM, maybe CCOM. You must check their mission fit with you.

It is late, but if you feel like you have seen similar successes, I would try for your in-state MDs and the DO schools like MSUCOM, MUCOM, maybe CCOM. You must check their mission fit with you.
I have seen people with lower stats who didn't go to a top university in UG get in as I mentioned earlier. However, they applied early and thats probably why. But its worth a shot at MSUCOM.

Your MCAT score is weak for MD (6-7 basis points below the national median for acceptees).

You're fine for DO right now. The do cycle is longer, so applying now will not put you in a hole. But it is definitely too late for MD
Can't all the other stats compensate for the lower than usual MCAT.

I should've specified. I have near 200-250 hours of volunteering (when considering the organizations I've worked with). Anyways, it is too late to full send MD, but I'm definitely full sending DO. MSUCOM was my top choice (among both MD and DO), so I'm hoping to get it. If you have any info on MSUCOM, that would be highly appreciated.

Aren't you following the school specific thread, or read archived threads? What info do you want that is not on their website? Do you expect to be spoon-fed?

Where for this additional 100 hours come from? Please itemize your volunteering accurately as you put it on your application.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
No I don’t expect to be spoon fed on SDN from you. And yes I’m obviously following the information on their website, but I thought I’d ask an advisor to see if they have any school specific information.

100 hours from volunteering in the Umich hospital (oncology and neurology outpatient units)
100 hours volunteering at a philanthropic and religious organization (distributing food, clothing, setting up equipment, ensuring technology is running smoothly, assisting in cleaning, even leading prayers at time, did lots of stuff here for a long time with my local community)

... ask an advisor to see if they have any school specific information.
I responded with shock at the request. The information at have usually is found in the school specific thread where there may be students who can give you better information than us advisors. I don't know what information you want that networking with students can't provide. Are you not networking with students or attending recruiting events?

100 hours Clinical volunteering.
100 hours community service. Both categories are a little low compared to most applicants.

I responded with shock at the request. The information at have usually is found in the school specific thread where there may be students who can give you better information than us advisors. I don't know what information you want that networking with students can't provide. Are you not networking with students or attending recruiting events?

100 hours Clinical volunteering.
100 hours community service. Both categories are a little low compared to most
Sorry about the misunderstanding.

It may end up totaling 210 hours. I’ve worked considerably more at various positions within healthcare. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m really concentrating my efforts on DO, just hoping for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.