Apply now or gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevlar22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am currently a junior in undergrad with a cum. GPA of 3.66 and a science GPA of 3.62 at Cornell. I haven't taken my MCATs yet, as I'm starting to prepare for a May/June date. Some of my extra-curriculars include working on a research project at school, research project at Mount Sinai in NYC, volunteering at the free clinic near school for a semester, training to become a peer counselor,being a TA for Comparative Physiology, and being the philanthropy chair for my fraternity. Long story short, I missed the deadline to hand in the required materials to the pre-med committee, for them to write us a letter (since I was out of the country). The question is, should I attempt to apply this cycle or take a gap year? I'm trying to find justifications for doing a gap year, such as traveling and doing something like Doctors without borders or Americorps, since I don't have too much volunteering experience. In terms of LORs, I can get 2 good ones, however I don't think I can get a good LOR from the PI with whom I'm doing research at school, since I only worked in his lab for only a semester.

I'll be studying for the MCATs this semester along with taking 14 credits. I'm starting to question if I would be able to handle MCAT prep, classwork, research, and preparing my application. I'm aiming for a 38.

TLDR: Based on my GPA, extracurrics, (Even though i haven't taken the MCATs yet) should I appeal to the pre-health committee into letting me hand in my materials late or should I start considering a gap year? I feel like I don't really have a reason to take the gap year other than the large amounts of work. I feel like such a reason would make me look like a weak applicant. However I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and end up burning out and being a complete failure.

Thanks everybody for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tough question. I believe if a committee letter is available to you, you should definitely have one. Not sure why the deadline was so early. You're right when you say balancing all the pre-med crap will be difficult.

I'd do the following: Try to obtain the committee letter STAT. If you can't get one for this cycle, ask your pre-med adviser if this would be a "red flag." If it won't be a red flag, get letters from elsewhere and apply this cycle. If it will be a red flag, don't sweat it; you can take your gap year, do good things, and get the letter for next cycle.

Good luck with that 38. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough question. I believe if a committee letter is available to you, you should definitely have one. Not sure why the deadline was so early. You're right when you say balancing all the pre-med crap will be difficult.

I'd do the following: Try to obtain the committee letter STAT. If you can't get one for this cycle, ask your pre-med adviser if this would be a "red flag." If it won't be a red flag, get letters from elsewhere and apply this cycle. If it will be a red flag, don't sweat it; you can take your gap year, do good things, and get the letter for next cycle.

Good luck with that 38. :)

OP not having a committee letter when available at your academic institution will be a red flag. I would talk to your advisor and even dean to make an exception since its a critical part of your application. Even if they do not give the letter and you desperately want to apply just explain in your secondary if asked why you don't have a committee letter. Take the April MCAT and apply in June any way. I'm sure if you score high enough on the MCAT and every other aspect is fine you should be accepted to some school.

Hello everybody,

I am currently a junior in undergrad with a cum. GPA of 3.66 and a science GPA of 3.62 at Cornell. I haven't taken my MCATs yet, as I'm starting to prepare for a May/June date. Some of my extra-curriculars include working on a research project at school, research project at Mount Sinai in NYC, volunteering at the free clinic near school for a semester, training to become a peer counselor,being a TA for Comparative Physiology, and being the philanthropy chair for my fraternity. Long story short, I missed the deadline to hand in the required materials to the pre-med committee, for them to write us a letter (since I was out of the country). The question is, should I attempt to apply this cycle or take a gap year? I'm trying to find justifications for doing a gap year, such as traveling and doing something like Doctors without borders or Americorps, since I don't have too much volunteering experience. In terms of LORs, I can get 2 good ones, however I don't think I can get a good LOR from the PI with whom I'm doing research at school, since I only worked in his lab for only a semester.

I'll be studying for the MCATs this semester along with taking 14 credits. I'm starting to question if I would be able to handle MCAT prep, classwork, research, and preparing my application. I'm aiming for a 38.

TLDR: Based on my GPA, extracurrics, (Even though i haven't taken the MCATs yet) should I appeal to the pre-health committee into letting me hand in my materials late or should I start considering a gap year? I feel like I don't really have a reason to take the gap year other than the large amounts of work. I feel like such a reason would make me look like a weak applicant. However I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and end up burning out and being a complete failure.

Thanks everybody for your input!
Stronger LORs, beefier ECs and another year of high grades to boost your GPA will make you a better contender for more-selective med schools, if that is your goal.

If your pre-health committee won't make an exception due to your travel abroad experience, then that is another good reason to wait, as lack of their letter will look odd.

agreed.

I think what could be useful would be to demonstrate long-term commitments. From what i've read (i could've missed something), it seems that could help you attain better LORs for applying. short term stuff, might not give you enough rapport with the prof when writing about you. not to mention, LORs can (often do) include the duration/extent of interaction/relationship anyway.

Also, i'd encourage you to take a practice mcat just to see where your numbers are. maybe the TPR online would be a good place to start. Having some ballpark of where you lie before doing all this helps. bc/ if you're even in the high 20s, you might be better served waiting a year to get all your ducks in line with better numbers and resume. I'd argue it's better to be able to choose the school that "fits" you well, instead of just getting into wherever. I don't think that means "don't go to a lower-tier school," i mean to go to a school where you feel like you'd be happy attending.

Thanks everyone for your input. As of now, I think I will be going forth with the gap year, since I want to have a strong enough application to get into the schools I want.

Thank you so much for your input. Now that I'm much more open to the idea of a gap year, would you mind suggesting what would be some good ideas for a gap year? Currently, I'm working on improving my GPA, so I think that working to boost my academic credentials would not be a gap year well spent. Also I have research experience in the basic sciences and in clinical research.

I want to be able to do something that combines traveling and service, since I don't have too much service and would love to combine my interest in the two into one opportunity. Do you think if I spent half my gap year traveling/volunteering (ex. AmeriCorps, Doctors without borders etc.) and the other half doing clinical research (when I have to go for interviews), would this sound like a solid plan or not? I'm open to all your suggestions and criticisms!

Again, thank you very much.