Medical Apply, post-bac, or SMP? Should I look into reinvention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm currently studying for my MCAT and wanted to see if I should also be looking for postbac or SMP programs to apply, or if I should go ahead and apply this upcoming cycle. I was planning on applying to mostly DO schools, but I am now second-guessing myself after comparing my stats to others.

1. cGPA: 3.41; sGPA: 3.3
    1. My GPA started around 2.8 freshman year, and I brought it up to a ~3.5 each year to end up with a 3.4 The trend basically plateaus, and I'm not saying this as an excuse. I really did question why I wanted to go into medicine because of personal issues. My grandpa, who was the reason I was interested in healthcare, died because his Alzheimer's progressed to its terminal stage, and my cousins, who I was really close with in my youth, were killed by another family member. The latter event made me question why I wanted to work with people, but it's something I'm going to talk about in my personal statement.
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: I haven't taken the MCAT. I am scheduling myself for a 4/30 test or an early May test. I'm hopeful that I will do well and possibly score in the 505-515 range, especially now that I have regular access to a psychiatrist to treat my ADHD.
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): MD but I currently work in TX, and if I wanted to, I can apply for residency here.
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: ORM/Asian-American/Vietnamese
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Small, liberal arts college known for grade deflation in the MD area
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. EMT for about ~900 hours; 800 of those hours are volunteer in an underserved area. While volunteering, I earned a field training coach certificate, and I taught EMT students practical skills through the volunteer rescue department. I'm counting about another ~100 hours because I worked at a high school leadership camp focused on showing high school students different careers in medicine, and I taught a class that introduced students to EMT and even taught some basics. I was also called multiple times during student emergencies.
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. I volunteered for a summer on a research project through the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center during freshman year. It was not a substantial experience, so I can't speak on it too much.
    2. I completed a senior thesis for my bachelor's in biology during my senior year. My thesis was essentially a literature review of Alzheimer's disease and available treatments. I researched available drug treatments and non-drug therapies, and I synthesized a treatment guideline for patients who are likely to develop AD by incorporating available drugs and non-drug therapies.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. I have 3 hours shadowing a psychiatrist (MD). I'm currently talking to another psychiatrist (DO) about shadowing and learning more about DO philosophy. By June, I'm hoping to gain an additional ~40 hours through virtual shadowing.
    2. I haven't had a regular physician since middle school, and being first-generation, low-income, my parent's social circles didn't include any physicians.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. I TA'd pretty much for every semester since my sophomore year. During some of that, I was paid for general chemistry tutoring, but when I TA'd for calculus and any biology course, I was given a course credit. Would this count as non-clinical volunteer?
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. As I mentioned, I TA'd.
    2. I'm in my gap year, and I currently work in a clinical, diagnostic lab as a molecular technologist. I've been here for about 7 months now, and I have moved up to a supervisory role that's typically held by people who have an ASCP certification, Master's, or PhD. I only have my B.S. in Biology, so I feel like this is an impressive point.
    3. For all of my summers since sophomore year, I worked for a high school leadership camp and also had upward mobility there. We taught students leadership skills such as interpersonal communication, becoming a committed leader, etc. The camp had a healthcare and medicine component as well, so we taught students about taking patient histories, leading them through dissection labs and suturing, showing them different careers in healthcare, and more. Eventually, I was promoted to Head Team Advisor and then I became a Program Director, so I was able to plan out the camp schedule, find guest speakers, arrange field trips to medical schools, etc.
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. I made Dean's list twice.
    2. I received a merit-based scholarship to attend college.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Based on this, would you say that I could be competitive for this next application cycle? I have been sticking to a very strict MCAT/full-time job schedule, and when doing practice problems, I have been doing very well. I feel hopeful that my score will be good, and realistically, I am aiming for a 510.

Please let me know if there's anything I could do to strengthen my application aside from doing well on the MCAT.
If you score around 505+, your shot at DO schools is good. When I applied to medical school, my GPA was around yours (MCAT was ~510-511) and I got many DO interviews (many I didn't even end up going to). I would push to get your MCAT as high as you can, and if you can, work on your non-clinical volunteering (soup kitchen, helping others less fortunate, etc).

As far as changing to TX resident, I don't think it's worth the hassle UNLESS you were going to try to go MD and take a post-bac year to heal your GPA. If (big IF), you did a post-bac, did well (3.8+), did well on MCAT (511-512+) boosted your non-clinical hours, and were a Texas resident, you may have a shot at the Texas MD schools.

Not sure if the above is what you want to go through, but it's an option.

Members don't see this ad.

Stats are fine for DO but for MD, you'll need either the DIY post-bac or SMP.

You also need more service to others less fortunate than yourself. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

Being a TA is a not what I'd consider a nonclinical volunteering EC. We expect you to display your altruism.

Thank you for the responses! I am more than happy to go to a D.O. school. I do want to apply to a couple low-tier MD programs, so if I were to get around a 510-515 on my MCAT, would I be DOA for an MD program if I don't complete a DIY postbac or SMP?

As far as non-clinical volunteering goes, how do you think a virtual nonclinical volunteering opportunity compares to volunteering in person, and how many hours do you think is sufficient, about 150 hours? I forgot to add that I did some nonclinical volunteering through some STEM clubs, so my hours there are close to about ~25 hours.
Yes, likely DOA with a 3.3 GPA.

In person is better than virtual, but ADCOM knows there is a global pandemic. Shoot for at least 150 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.