Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
it took me so much time but I was able to sign up for science class this year at CC. I took 12 units lower division courses last semester and looking forward to take 18 units (10 units upper division and 8 units lower division). Since its CC I'm sure that I will get all As, then my GPA will be cGPA 3.46 sGPA 3.35.

I'm taking MCAT this March so that I can apply to SMPs, but I'm still not sure if I should either

1. take some upper division science courses at 4 year uni and some CC for a year ---> then my estimated GPA will be (20 units each semester and maybe some during winter and summer) --> cGPA 3.57 sGPA 3.57

2. SMP at Georgetown, Cincinnati.. etc

3. Master's

which one should I do? btw im cali applicant
Note that 2 and 3 are similar but the SMP's are designed to get you prepared for medical school rigor while traditional master's programs are not. Your GPA is high enough that regular masters are possible but...

No bets until an MCAT is posted, but you have a decent GPA that with the right fit, could get you in, at least on the DO side and maybe some MD's if you network and get your shortlist optimized.

On the relevant question: what upper-level science courses make up your science GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Upper division at CC? Usually only 4-years have upper division courses.

I wouldn’t do the masters if you are looking to help your GPA as masters courses aren’t looked at having the same rigor as regular upper division science courses. From your choices, I would do choice 1, rock your MCAT, and apply broadly to both MD and DO schools.

Also, some of the courses I took at CC were WAY harder than at 4-year. Don’t think it will be easier just because it’s at a CC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I guess #1 is the most reasonable choice.
If I want MD, then do you guys think it is worth to do Georgetown SMP? Top 15% mostly gets into Georgetown in that year. (So I apply to med school that year while I'm doing SMP). I know it depends how well I can do it, but I just want to hear some opinions.
If you do the SMP it’s high risk high reward. If you don’t ace it your chances at med school (or MD) are gone. You can still apply DO the next year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.