Apply this cycle or gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silversky21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently debating whether I should apply this cycle or take a gap year. I am planning on taking the mcat on June 21st. However, I do not think I will have time to work on my apps until after my mcat so will probably not get to submit until July. I am also considering submitting without an mcat score but only put one school down then add more schools later after receiving the score. Does anyone have any advice on this? Also I plan on applying through tmdsas and amcas and want to confirm that you are allowed to add more schools to tmdsas after submitting. I'm not sure if applying in July would create too big of a disadvantage especially for applying to Texas schools and that a gap year would be a better option.

Members don't see this ad.

You are definitely allowed to add more schools to TMDSAS after submitting your initial app.

Applying early is the best bet. TMDSAS opened on May 1st. Of course, preference is given to Texas residents.

If you have stellar EC's and a great GPA, applying later in the cycle should not pose a problem. Who knows? It may not pose a problem with mediocre credentials. It all depends on your app cycle's competition.

On the other hand, gap years can really help improve your maturity and the quality of your EC's. They also give you an opportunity to get everything ready early for the next app cycle.

Good luck to you!!