Apply this cycle or gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paranoid_premed

Reaction score
Alright so I am taking the MCAT in May and am shooting for a 515+. My GPA is 4.0 and ECs are...

400 hours medical scribe (I trained a couple of scribes, would that be leadership?)
300 hours community church volunteering (over 4.5 years)
200 hours of volunteering at a hospital (all in one year - I've trained some volunteers here as well)
1 year of research
50 hrs shadowing
20 hrs at a soup kitchen every holiday season (past 3 years)
Math tutor (idk how many hours.. probably like 80)

Do you guys think that I would be competitive for MD schools? I am mainly concerned about my ECs since I haven't cured cancer or anything like some of the other posters on this site.

I would appreciate some school suggestions if you think I should apply this cycle. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They can't give you a thorough list without an MCAT score. Everyone aims high, most don't achieve it. The MCAT is a different type of test for most, so they can't base it off past academic achievement. Not that I'm doubting your ability to achieve because anything 3.95+ is worthy of respect. You would also dramatically change where you could realistically apply just by a few numbers difference whether MD/DO.

EC wise, you have the potential to matriculate. You would get better advice if you were more specific (50 hours shadowing where/ how many? Primary care? 1 year of research with a poster? State of residence? ORM/URM? (See the posted guidelines))

Best of luck, friend.

Last edited:
They can't give you a through list without an MCAT score. Everyone aims high, most don't achieve it. The MCAT is a different type of test for most, so they can't base it off past academic achievement. It would also dramatically change where you could realistically apply just by a few numbers difference.

EC wise, you have the potential to matriculate. You would get better advice if you were more specific (50 hours shadowing where/ how many? Primary care? 1 year of research with a poster? State of residence? ORM/URM? (See the posted guidelines))

Best of luck, friend.
Oops I forgot to include those things. Only reason I am saying 515 is because I am scoring 519-520 on some practice tests I took.

The shadowing was at an ortho clinic- only one doctor (is there an advantage for shadowing a primary care physician? If there is I might look into that)
No poster with the research.
State- Michigan
Asian

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the practice tests official AAMC tests taken under conditions approximating test day? If so, they're a fair approximation.

When are you going to take the real MCAT? Get all the AAMC FLs, including the Sample Test. This isn't enough data to be very confident at all although it's encouraging. You might be ready for the real deal as soon as this April - although I'd like to see you take FL2 and FL3 and do well on those. Good luck, you're in a good place for the MCAT and should do well if you manage to replicate that performance on Test Day!

When are you going to take the real MCAT? Get all the AAMC FLs, including the Sample Test. This isn't enough data to be very confident at all although it's encouraging. You might be ready for the real deal as soon as this April - although I'd like to see you take FL2 and FL3 and do well on those. Good luck, you're in a good place for the MCAT and should do well if you manage to replicate that performance on Test Day!
I'm taking it in May, it was the only date open near my location. And yes I will definitely be taking the other FLs a little bit closer to my test date. Do you think my ECs would hold me back if I applied this cycle? Assuming I can replicate my practice scores on test day.

If we call your MCAT a 520, you're competitive for pretty much everywhere although ECs are slightly cookie-cutter for top-20 schools. Other than that, you're a strong applicant.

If we call your MCAT a 520, you're competitive for pretty much everywhere although ECs are slightly cookie-cutter for top-20 schools. Other than that, you're a strong applicant.
I don't think I will apply to top 20 whether I get a 520 or not. Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it.

With a 520, it'd be worth applying to five or so. Fill out the rest of your list with midtiers and state schools.