Apply this cycle or next? 3.2 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M1ke10191

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time poster, long time lurker.

Taking an educated guess with this semester's grades, my CGPA comes to 3.21 and my SGPA is 3.25. I have taken two practice mcats with scores of 24 and 26.

If I took the MCAT in late May, I wouldn't be applying on June 1 since I wouldn't have my score yet. Mixed with my less-than-ideal stats, I'm considering a gap year with my application during my senior year instead (I'm a junior now).

To be honest, I feel like I put off the application process in general and just now realized that I'm behind on it.

If I was to apply next cycle, I would retake Gen Chem 1 and Physics 1, both of which are C+. Assuming an A- in each (my best estimate, could be anywhere from a B+ to an A), my SGPA would jump to a 3.5 and my CGPA a 3.32.

I really haven't studied much for the MCAT besides skimming the kaplan books I picked up every now and then. If I don't apply this cycle, I'd study over the summer (possibly take a course but I don't know if I can justify the cost or not) and take the MCAT at the end of the summer, hoping for a high 20, obviously with an even higher score being ideal, but probably a reach.

I feel my EC's are very competitive, although I have no research. I have over 1,000 hours as a volunteer EMT, along with anywhere between 1,400-2,000 as a paid EMT, which I'll continue up until med school, so these numbers will keep increasing. It feels like I put my eggs all in one basket through EMS, but I feel that the sheer volume of hours makes it very competitive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am in the process of shadowing an MD, with only ten hours ATM. I know many schools require a DO, so that would only be possible if I wait a year I'd assume.

I think that covers everything. What do you guys think? Should I still apply this cycle? Should I wait till next year? Money is a factor, and I have a hard time justifying 1-2 grand for a slight chance of acceptance.

I should mention that without grade replacement, my GPA is somewhere around a high 2, so MD is not an option. The only MD school I would apply to is Albany since I live 20 mins away and work/go to college in the city of Albany. The MD I'm shadowing also works in the ER at Albany Med.

Other than that, it's strictly DO schools (and yes, if push comes to shove I will apply to the Big 3 Carib schools. They're my last option but I will take them if they're my ONLY chance).

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me, and if you require further, let me know.

-Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Taking an educated guess with this semester's grades, my CGPA comes to 3.21 and my SGPA is 3.25. I have taken two practice mcats with scores of 24 and 26.

If I took the MCAT in late May, I wouldn't be applying on June 1 since I wouldn't have my score yet. Mixed with my less-than-ideal stats, I'm considering a gap year with my application during my senior year instead (I'm a junior now).

To be honest, I feel like I put off the application process in general and just now realized that I'm behind on it.

If I was to apply next cycle, I would retake Gen Chem 1 and Physics 1, both of which are C+. Assuming an A- in each (my best estimate, could be anywhere from a B+ to an A), my SGPA would jump to a 3.5 and my CGPA a 3.32.

I really haven't studied much for the MCAT besides skimming the kaplan books I picked up every now and then. If I don't apply this cycle, I'd study over the summer (possibly take a course but I don't know if I can justify the cost or not) and take the MCAT at the end of the summer, hoping for a high 20, obviously with an even higher score being ideal, but probably a reach.

I feel my EC's are very competitive, although I have no research. I have over 1,000 hours as a volunteer EMT, along with anywhere between 1,400-2,000 as a paid EMT, which I'll continue up until med school, so these numbers will keep increasing. It feels like I put my eggs all in one basket through EMS, but I feel that the sheer volume of hours makes it very competitive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am in the process of shadowing an MD, with only ten hours ATM. I know many schools require a DO, so that would only be possible if I wait a year I'd assume.

I think that covers everything. What do you guys think? Should I still apply this cycle? Should I wait till next year? Money is a factor, and I have a hard time justifying 1-2 grand for a slight chance of acceptance.

I should mention that without grade replacement, my GPA is somewhere around a high 2, so MD is not an option. The only MD school I would apply to is Albany since I live 20 mins away and work/go to college in the city of Albany. The MD I'm shadowing also works in the ER at Albany Med.

Other than that, it's strictly DO schools (and yes, if push comes to shove I will apply to the Big 3 Carib schools. They're my last option but I will take them if they're my ONLY chance).

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me, and if you require further, let me know.

-Mike
What have your GPAs been for the last three semesters, and what do you expect for this one? What grades have you earned in upper-level Bio and Biochem?

A DO LOR could be sent in after the initial application, so if there's any chance of shadowing a DO and getting the letter by end of summer, I think you'd be OK for many schools.

A problem with having all clinical experience as an EMT, is that while you have superb clinical patient experience, you often don't have much clinical facility experience. This isn't an issue at every school, but if you were to apply in a year, it might be a good idea to add this.

Could you take one of the retakes this summer and apply after the grade is in?

An advantage of AACOMAS is that if you send in a new transcript after you initially submit, they will update all your schools for you regarding newly earned grades. I don't know if they also recalculate your application GPAs. Maybe Goro knows or can find out, as he/she has a connection with a DO med school.

I think it's important you do well on your mca to compensate for your gpa. For the record, ill be applying to DO with similiar gpas to you (although I dont have your extensive clinical experience) but im expecting a high 20s lows 30s mcat score to give me a shot due to the amount of effort ive put in. If you are scoring 24s on practice mcats or even 26s it shows that you still have a lot more work to do in that area. If you take the mcat in may you would have your scores back june 26th (thats assuming you do may 24th which is when im doing it). Those taking it may 30th dont get their scores back till early july. Anywho, my point is going from a 24 to a good mcat score in 1 month is going to be VERY challenging, probably impossible for most people. Im assuming you want to get a 28 min (which is my absolute bottom number) to have a decent shot and one month of rushed studying will not be sufficient, at least in my opinion. You're going to get burnt out and not have enough time. You may be an exception to this, but im talking about most people in general. Tbh I think the only people who can do a month of mcat studying and get away with it are the ones that already have a very nice grasp of the material and strong critical thinking skills. The average person probably requires three months of solid studying to perform well.

My point is, don't rush the mcat. You will regret it if you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
What have your GPAs been for the last three semesters, and what do you expect for this one? What grades have you earned in upper-level Bio and Biochem?

A DO LOR could be sent in after the initial application, so if there's any chance of shadowing a DO and getting the letter by end of summer, I think you'd be OK for many schools.

A problem with having all clinical experience as an EMT, is that while you have superb clinical patient experience, you often don't have much clinical facility experience. This isn't an issue at every school, but if you were to apply in a year, it might be a good idea to add this.

Could you take one of the retakes this summer and apply after the grade is in?

An advantage of AACOMAS is that if you send in a new transcript after you initially submit, they will update all your schools for you regarding newly earned grades. I don't know if they also recalculate your application GPAs. Maybe Goro knows or can find out, as he/she has a connection with a DO med school.

My GPA throughout college (roughly) has been:

1st semester - 3.55
2nd - 3.0
3rd - 3.4
4th - 2.5, no excuse to back me up on that one, but this was only 12 credits so it doesn't bear quite as much weight. Not justifying it, just saying.
5th - 3.47
6th - I'd estimate around a 3.3

I know seeing an upward trend is ideal, but it is what it is. Seems that my fall semesters were fine, just the spring semesters tore me down. Again, no real reason behind it, and if asked in an interview I'd respond the same. Just a lack of focus. No reason to lie to them.

I'm a history major, and my lower grades are somehow attributed to history classes, which is ironic seeing as I enjoy history. That 2.5 semester is all history classes--my sciences, once I retake the 2 C+'s, are right around 3.5. I knew I was a pre med the whole time though.

Since I'm a history major, I haven't taken any sciences outside the required ones.

I checked the summer classes at my college, and retakes for those classes aren't offered until Fall.

I was sorta hoping for that upward trend. Or barring that, some good grades in upper-level science. If you got some As in new science coursework over the summer, that might sabotage your efforts to study effectively for the MCAT, when getting a higher-than-the-average-matriculant score is important for you, as ColeSmalls discussed.

What do you guys think? Should I still apply this cycle? Should I wait till next year? Money is a factor, and I have a hard time justifying 1-2 grand for a slight chance of acceptance.
So, getting back to the original question, I'd lean on the side of waiting. I'd like to be convinced that you will thrive in the science-intense environment of a med school, and I haven't been yet.

If you take away the pressure of applying soon, you'll have more time to invest in MCAT study, DO shadowing, grade redemption, and maybe do a bit of volunteering in a nursing home, clinic, hospital, or hospice to supplement your superb EMT background (unless you often worked in the ER in some capacity after a run, in which case you'd already have the facility experience I was asking after).

yeah with another year you could really improve your app, so I def have to agree. I think you're making a huge mistake trying to take the mcat with only a month of studying. Not to mention with that gap year you could do so many things to better your app. I actually took a gap year and used 5-6 months of it to study extensively for the mcat, volunteer at the hospital, shadow DOs, shadow MDs, work with cancer patients, special needs children, etc all in a year just to show my dedication. With that extra year you can really benefit, I know I did. I wish I had retaken some classes, because I didnt know about the DO retake policy at that time, but I still managed to get a lot out of my gap year. I suggest you follow Cata's advice and do the same. You can show your dedication for the profession by getting involved and having a superior mcat score.