Apply this cycle or wait until next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almost.dpt

Reaction score
I really want to apply during the 2022-23 cycle but after reading some threads on here, I feel like I’m not as qualified and I’m definitely behind in the application process. It seems like most people typically apply to 8 schools and I don’t know if I want to spend that much money if I’m not a competitive applicant and don’t have much of a chance :(
I graduated in June and I’m enrolled in Anatomy at a CC now and hope to take Physio next semester. My GPA is definitely on the lower side but I’ve tried to make up for it with my observation hours. I’d really appreciate another perspective on this based on my stats! I don’t know anyone else pursuing PT and I’ve felt so alone in this process, definitely grateful to have finally found such a supportive community :)

Major: Neuroscience, minor in Dance
cGPA: 3.03
pGPA: 3.26 (I think, I wasn’t sure how to calculate this)
GRE: haven’t taken it as some schools don’t require, willing to take it but limited time :/
Observation: 1000 hours in an outpatient orthopedic clinic as a PT tech, currently observing in an inpatient setting
Experience: clinical intern at pain management clinic, administrative work at a dental clinic (became familiar with insurance)
Extracurriculars: Dance Team, South Asian Federation (Public Relations, Vice President, President), Asian Pacific Student Council Representative, political activist work with two organizations, Technical Director for Culture Show, DJ Club, founded nonprofit organization based on dance fitness and hosted workshops at school + the community
LORs: 2 from PTs, 2 from advisors (hopefully)

Looking to apply to UCSF/SFSU, CSU Long Beach, CSU Sacramento, Samuel Merritt and WesternU

Members don't see this ad.

Prerequisite GPA is easy to calculate yourself. Go to the websites of the programs you're going to apply to and find their list of prerequisite courses. Then go on a 3rd party college GPA calculation site and enter your grades for those courses. However, one thing I wasn't aware of when applying was the calculation for courses you retook. For example, I had to take Physics I because I had a C. The second time around I received an A-. BOTH courses go into your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to PTCAS and read the instructions carefully. You may even try to fill out a PTCAS application but don't submit it (meaning, don't press submit and pay for an application). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when you are ready to apply next cycle, you could ask to roll over the information you have put in. It's a nice way to really figure out for yourself how you want to present yourself in the initial application while you are networking with the schools on your list.

And I agree: PTCAS calculates all grades for application GPA's. There is no such thing as grade forgiveness. That said, check the schools on how they look at grades on your transcript, especially if you repeat courses.

My other thought regarding your observation is to make sure you have generational representation in your clinical experience. PT's work with a broad range of ages, so being culturally and generationally aware is helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really want to apply during the 2022-23 cycle but after reading some threads on here, I feel like I’m not as qualified and I’m definitely behind in the application process. It seems like most people typically apply to 8 schools and I don’t know if I want to spend that much money if I’m not a competitive applicant and don’t have much of a chance :(
I graduated in June and I’m enrolled in Anatomy at a CC now and hope to take Physio next semester. My GPA is definitely on the lower side but I’ve tried to make up for it with my observation hours. I’d really appreciate another perspective on this based on my stats! I don’t know anyone else pursuing PT and I’ve felt so alone in this process, definitely grateful to have finally found such a supportive community :)

Major: Neuroscience, minor in Dance
cGPA: 3.03
pGPA: 3.26 (I think, I wasn’t sure how to calculate this)
GRE: haven’t taken it as some schools don’t require, willing to take it but limited time :/
Observation: 1000 hours in an outpatient orthopedic clinic as a PT tech, currently observing in an inpatient setting
Experience: clinical intern at pain management clinic, administrative work at a dental clinic (became familiar with insurance)
Extracurriculars: Dance Team, South Asian Federation (Public Relations, Vice President, President), Asian Pacific Student Council Representative, political activist work with two organizations, Technical Director for Culture Show, DJ Club, founded nonprofit organization based on dance fitness and hosted workshops at school + the community
LORs: 2 from PTs, 2 from advisors (hopefully)

Looking to apply to UCSF/SFSU, CSU Long Beach, CSU Sacramento, Samuel Merritt and WesternU
CSU Long Beach: you are not competitive for this one (either for this or next year). You need really high stats to get in since it's a "cheap" state school and they do not except many students. That would be true for any other CA state school.
WesternU for health sciences: you do have have a chance in this one. I would apply if I were you.
I am not familiar with the rest of schools you listed. Look at each school stats for the students they accept, how many people they accept. CA state schools are too competitive for your stats.
Good luck!

As a current CSULB DPT student, I don't completely agree that you have no chance. Maybe next year if you can get some stats up. My undergrad GPA was a 3.2 and my PTCAS calculated one was a 3.4 whereas my prereq GPA was a 3.1. However, they require the GRE and I had a 160q 161v. I was on the wait-list and have one of the lowest application GPAs in my cohort. So it's not a complete wash.
Your 1000 hours at one clinic does not make up for your GPA unfortunately. Schools prefer a variety so it's great that you're at an inpatient clinic. Over 500 hours at one location isn't any better than 700 at one location since it's still the same location. Most places would rather see 100 at 3 different places. So if you don't apply this year, I highly encourage you to both retake a class or two with a C or below and to get a variety of hours.

Sac state and CSUN are two schools that are known to look strongly at numbers, so you'll also have low chances there. UCSF can be a hit or miss, my friend got in with under a 3.5 while I got a flat rejection despite us having the same experiences and leadership.

Samuel Merritt will like your nonprofit involvement and leadership. They're huge on helping the community. I was first on their wait-list at one point and had an interview with Western that I turned down in favor of CSU Fresno (which I later turned down). If you're willing to pay Western and SMU's tuitions, I'd apply for Mount Saint Mary's. My mentors with under 3.0 went there and they tend to take lower GPAs. Go to one of their open houses (they keep track of who goes and notice if people come back, it helps at least for them), they're very nice and I was able to take to their head of admissions and she gave advice on applications.

The state schools are more competitive cause they're cheaper so even tho applying to more of them is expensive during apps, if you happen to get into one then you'd save more in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user