Apply this year or next year? What would you do?

Started by dors89
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dors89

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got interested in PT a year ago and iffy about applying this year. I have a 3.3 pre-req GPA, 120 outpatient hours, 150 inpatient, and have not taken the GRE as yet. I'm not too positive about applying this year; because of some medical issues that came up, I have those expenses to worry about and the cost of applying is another added expense, not to mention studying for the GRE has not been a priority. I'm not sure if I'm competitive enough of an applicant. If I apply next year, pros are I can add to my resume a PT Aide job, retake some classes and get my pre-req GPA up, get more experience in PT, and have some money for application expenses, etc. What would you guys do if you were in my position? Right now, waiting until next year seems like the most rational decision to me.
 
Waiting seems like it might be reasonable, especially if applying this year means you'd be taking the GRE without being able to fully focus on it. But just to play devil's advocate:

Recommendations: It might be easier to get recommendations from people you've been interacting with recently than to go back and ask for recommendations a year from now. But you might have even better recommendations next year...

Displaying persistence: If you apply to your top choices this year, don't get in, and then reapply next year, it may show your determination and resolve in a substantial and concrete way. i don't know if people have experiences where this sort of thing has helped them get into school, but I'd be interested to hear from others if it has.

Delaying PT salary for a year: You may be able to save some money over the course of a year to help offset your expenses in school, but is this a fair trade for setting the start of your PT career back a year? You'll be in school during that third year when otherwise you would be earning money/paying off loans.​

But you'll have a full year to learn more about programs, get you numbers up, gain more experience, boost your chances of getting into an ideal and affordable program...Honestly, both courses of action sound pretty rational to me. Either way you are moving forward on a professional path that you seem confident is a good fit for you. These are good dilemmas to have.
 
Waiting seems like it might be reasonable, especially if applying this year means you'd be taking the GRE without being able to fully focus on it. But just to play devil's advocate:
Recommendations: It might be easier to get recommendations from people you've been interacting with recently than to go back and ask for recommendations a year from now. But you might have even better recommendations next year...

Displaying persistence: If you apply to your top choices this year, don't get in, and then reapply next year, it may show your determination and resolve in a substantial and concrete way. i don't know if people have experiences where this sort of thing has helped them get into school, but I'd be interested to hear from others if it has.

Delaying PT salary for a year: You may be able to save some money over the course of a year to help offset your expenses in school, but is this a fair trade for setting the start of your PT career back a year? You'll be in school during that third year when otherwise you would be earning money/paying off loans.​
But you'll have a full year to learn more about programs, get you numbers up, gain more experience, boost your chances of getting into an ideal and affordable program...Honestly, both courses of action sound pretty rational to me. Either way you are moving forward on a professional path that you seem confident is a good fit for you. These are good dilemmas to have.

Thanks for the pros and cons! You put forward some really great points. These all have crossed my mind. I'm mostly worried about expenses because applying isn't cheap and on top of medical expenses, I'm thinking if I don't get accepted then that would have just been a waste. I have a lot to think about and it's definitely a hard decision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would personally say wait one more year. I also have some health problems and I know personally, that I could not fully concentrate on school work to my fullest extent if my medical condition wasnt managed or as under control as I could get it. Financially, a person can only handle so much at one time, so you might end up losing a year of PT salary, but according to how you stated your concerns, it sounds like the stress of applying at this exact time might be a little much. You are working towards your goal even if you wait one more year. Make a pro and con list of your own and go with your gut decision. I do not think that it is bad waiting a year especially if you cannot concentrate on taking the GRE right now. You will most likely do better on the GRE if you can devote your full attention to it. Good luck!
 
But you'll have a full year to learn more about programs, get you numbers up, gain more experience, boost your chances of getting into an ideal and affordable program.

For the reasons cited here, I recommend you wait a year. Medical conditions are not a joke and you should resolve them now. Yes you will forego one more year in the work force, but don't go through the application process more than once if you don't have to.

Kevin
 
bluegoo06 and NewTestament, thank you for your replies! I'm feeling a little better about waiting a year. I have a tendency to think I can do it all no matter what, but sometimes I guess I just have to sit and think and realize that either way, it'll all work out and I'll still be working towards my goal to be a PT, as you all have stated. Thanks for all the optimism to those who replied! 🙂