Apply this year or take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwj322000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have spoken with my advisors at my school, and the advice I have received has been basically no help. So I am here to seek your advice.

I am currently a junior cell and molecular biology major with a minor in chemistry, GPA 3.8, planning on taking the MCAT this summer. I have around 50 hours shadowing. I have worked part time through college in my college's tutoring center, I basically help run the office that manages the tutors. I occasionally tutor, however my primary job is to supervise and manage the tutors' schedules, etc. I hold an office in my town's Lions Club chapter in which I volunteer several hours a month for the community. I also volunteer through my church at a homeless shelter and soup kitchen. I lifeguard every summer and I will be getting involved in research with my microbiology professor beginning this summer. I also intend on becoming either a cell bio or organic TA for the fall semester.

My predicament is this though...I have VERY little clinical experience. And my ec's are definitely not up to par with many that I read on here. I will be volunteering (or atleast attempting to) this summer at my local hospital, although I live in a small town with relatively few opportunities for that.

So...Should I apply this this time around, or take a year off after I graduate, work on my ec's while I work and possibly (?) get a master's degree, and then apply? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

(As a side note, I received the FAP so the first 14 schools I apply to this year (if I do) would be free for the primary app)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I have spoken with my advisors at my school, and the advice I have received has been basically no help. So I am here to seek your advice.

I am currently a junior cell and molecular biology major with a minor in chemistry, GPA 3.8, planning on taking the MCAT this summer. I have around 50 hours shadowing. I have worked part time through college in my college's tutoring center, I basically help run the office that manages the tutors. I occasionally tutor, however my primary job is to supervise and manage the tutors' schedules, etc. I hold an office in my town's Lions Club chapter in which I volunteer several hours a month for the community. I also volunteer through my church at a homeless shelter and soup kitchen. I lifeguard every summer and I will be getting involved in research with my microbiology professor beginning this summer. I also intend on becoming either a cell bio or organic TA for the fall semester.

My predicament is this though...I have VERY little clinical experience. And my ec's are definitely not up to par with many that I read on here. I will be volunteering (or atleast attempting to) this summer at my local hospital, although I live in a small town with relatively few opportunities for that.

So...Should I apply this this time around, or take a year off after I graduate, work on my ec's while I work and possibly (?) get a master's degree, and then apply? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

(As a side note, I received the FAP so the first 14 schools I apply to this year (if I do) would be free for the primary app)
I think you should wait at least a year. And you'll need more than a summer's worth of clinical experience. During the next academic year, you could also look into job or volunteer opportunities at skilled-level nursing homes, hospice, rehab centers and clinics of various types: VA, family-planning, free and low income, and even private physician's offices, that might be near your campus. Just four hours per week would do it.

Waiting would also give the benefit of allowing you to add your planned research experience to your activities list.

I think you should wait at least a year. And you'll need more than a summer's worth of clinical experience. During the next academic year, you could also look into job or volunteer opportunities at skilled-level nursing homes, hospice, rehab centers and clinics of various types: VA, family-planning, free and low income, and even private physician's offices, that might be near your campus. Just four hours per week would do it.

Waiting would also give the benefit of allowing you to add your planned research experience to your activities list.

I agree, a solid repertoire of extracurriculars is vital for the AMCAS primary

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd definitely have some clinical experience. Some people can still get in without it, but it'll hurt your chances in having "choices" to choose from. Also, it's 10X better to have your mcat score in your hand before you start applying. Dunno exactly when you're taking it in the summer, but it's good to have everything set up ahead of time. The clinical experience would be a great place to reflect and have something to share during the interviews. I used a lot of my clinical experience in my amcas and my personal statement/secondaries.

Thanks everyone, I definitely appreciate the advice. My original plan was to take a year off to gain more experience, however when I spoke to my "advisors" recently, they assured me that as long as I scored decent on the mcat ( 32+) I would most likely be able to get into one of my state schools (Tennessee). However, this contradicted everything I had heard previously.

But I do believe I will be taking a year off to work on my ec's, and work to gain some money for the application process next year. Would anyone recommend obtaining a masters degree in my year off? I am especially interested in neuroscience and infectious disease/immunology. Or would I be better served to try and find a job and gain clinical experience? Thanks again!

Thanks everyone, I definitely appreciate the advice. My original plan was to take a year off to gain more experience, however when I spoke to my "advisors" recently, they assured me that as long as I scored decent on the mcat ( 32+) I would most likely be able to get into one of my state schools (Tennessee). However, this contradicted everything I had heard previously.

But I do believe I will be taking a year off to work on my ec's, and work to gain some money for the application process next year. Would anyone recommend obtaining a masters degree in my year off? I am especially interested in neuroscience and infectious disease/immunology. Or would I be better served to try and find a job and gain clinical experience? Thanks again!
You could do either so long as you consistently gain clinical experience through the year.