Apply this year or wait....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slopes23

Parlors & Poop Shoots
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated in December (a semester early) and took a break from medicine because I wanted to make sure it was really for me. After having some great life experiences and seeing what it would be like in other careers (i.e. got offered a job at a large financial brokerage firm along the lines of Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs) I decided it wasn't for me and I really enjoy medicine. This was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, and have been studying like crazy since then and am half way through the material already. The following are my stats and I would just like to ask if I should apply in August or wait until next year.

GPA: Overall 3.56 Science: 3.51

MCAT: It's irrelevant but my target score is a 33 and from my initial scores I don't see why I can't achieve this, but its very premature to say the least. Anyways, assume I DO get a 33.

Physician Shadowing: 65-70hrs of shadowing with a doctor and his nurse practitioner over the course of 2 weeks, who in turn gave me a letter of recommendation.

Volunteer: I did a medical mission in Costa Rica and Nicaragua and got 60 hours certified. It was an amazing experience and we got to work hands on diagnosis. I gave vaccines, pap smears, wound care, differential diagnosis, patient triage, pharmacy care etc.
I really only have those two experience, although the quality of those experiences were great (IMHO).

Research: I worked in a well known lab for 2 years, during the summers I worked full time and during the school year it was part time for credit and volunteer depending on the semester overall have about 1200 hrs of time there. I didn't just clean beakers I was highly involved in my PI's research and conducted experiments for him. I presented a poster about our research at a national convention but I am not published as it was the policy of the lab not to include undergrads on papers.

EC: I am an IFR rated private pilot with about 125 hours of flight time
I was a pre-med peer mentor, and a biology peer advisor both for were during my Junior and Senior year.
I am a member of AMSA since freshman year for whatever that is worth (likely nothing)

I have 5 letters of rec.: Subjects of the recs were Calculus I&II (same teacher), Physiology, English Lit, my research PI, and the physician I shadowed. Although obviously I havent read them, my pre-med office was able to tell me that they were all very strong and well written and shouldn't have a problem in that area.

Currently I am studying all day 6 days a week. I am looking to get involved doing more volunteer at a local hospital and I have a few really great opportunities lined up but none of them begin until september it seems (although one of them might begin earlier with some luck). My MCAT date is Aug. 15th and I am wondering when I should submit. Should I wait until I have started volunteer so I can list it as present or should I get it out the door as soon as possible. Or am I a weak candidate and its late and I should wait until June 1, and to apply.

I plan on applying to a wide variety of schools 20+

Sorry if there are any grammatical errors I didn't re-read what I wrote.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I see no reason to wait. As a great man once said...

Engage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see no reason to wait. As a great man once said...

Engage.

At what point should I submit? Around or before my MCAT test date (so I am verified upon receipt of my MCAT score) or should I wait until September so that I can list volunteer activities as current and not future?

At what point should I submit? Around or before my MCAT test date (so I am verified upon receipt of my MCAT score) or should I wait until September so that I can list volunteer activities as current and not future?
You should NEVER list future activities unless they're courses. Just remove them and talk about them in interviews.

In my personal opinion, I would wait until my MCAT score was back or nearly back. Schools tell you they'll wait for it, but they really don't have to. Besides, they're not going to look at your app until it's back, anyways.

It is borderline late to submit right now. If you are planning to wait until September, just apply next year and beef up your volunteering if possible.

edit: and as for future activities, it is impossiblke to list them on the app... the earliest start date that you can use for activities is July 2013.

What about verification time though? Wouldn't waiting until mid September to apply be bad cause its another 4-5 weeks to get verified? Granted at least I would be able to put the volunteer experience as current.

May I ask why not to ever list future activities other than coursework?

May I ask why not to ever list future activities other than coursework?

I think that's a wonderful question. I honestly just remember asking this myself at some point and the community yelled at me. Something about not being sure if it was going to happen or not...?

Pretty late in my honest opinion to have your application reviewed late September. But it also depends on your financial situation and personal preference. Some of my friends didn't want to wait another year, just wanted to get into an MD school and weren't too stressed about the $ of primary/secondary apps, so they submitted. AKA I think if you aren't too selective on your schools and have the $$$ to throw on apps, go ahead! Your stats and ECs sound ready it's just the risk of the timing

I'd wait. End of September is late. I've heard that its best to apply early because med school start going over apps as soon as they get and they're probably already have decided on some people they want to interview. If this is true then by late September they've probably already decided on most of the people they want to interview and might not look at your application too thoroughly.

I'm not familiar with this process. Its just what one lady who is actually on an admin committee told me when I went to the AMSA Pre-med national conference. Might just be at her school.

It's too late. Focus on the MCAT, do not mess it up. While doing that, retake some classes that you did poorly on or take new classes and bring up your GPA as much as you can. It's high enough to get in somewhere with a strong MCAT but the higher the better.

Thanks for all the input guys. My dream school is UColorado, but being a state school and a pretty good one I worry that it's a big reach. Any thoughts? Delaying the application sucks, but at the same time I guess I don't want to shoot myself in the foot because I didn't want to wait an extra year...

Didn't mention that I would be an OOS applicant.