Apply to a school despite not meeting shadow hours, but will in the future..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desertrat12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the long title,

I've chalked up about 58 hrs of shadowing, but I'm seeing this is somewhat low comparatively. Is it worth it to apply to a school who's minimum is, say, 100ish if I plan to do more shadowing in the near future? Maybe send them an update on my hours? I feel like I've got at least a shot being competitive at the specific school with the rest of my app if it wasn't for the shadow.(3.95 gpa, 21 DAT, >1000 hrs volunteer/leadership, good lor). Much thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be surprised if they don't hold you to the minimum requirement.
Definitely agree. Which is why I would go out and get more shadowing if shadowing hours are something that is appropriate to send in updates about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't meet the shadowing hours minimum for the two schools I've gotten interviews at so far. So I think it depends on the schools, but it hasn't hurt me. I am still shadowing now though. I haven't told the schools though, but they said I can just tell the interview people.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the insight doc toothache! ...as for the LOR, doc toothache will give a much more authoritative answer, but my hunch is that they would be much less flexible with something like LORs