Apply to both pharmacy and dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtmbmw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question for everyone here is: Would i be frowned upon by the evaluator or committee if i apply to both pharmacy and dental school? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really see a reason why, because if this appeal doesn't go through, I'm going to be applying to medical(osteopath), pharmacy, and graduate school.

As for the appeal, basically I was told that I could find out tomorrow or on the first day before classes. :eek:

I think that the adcoms would look at applying to different professions as a sign that you aren't 100% sure on being a pharmacist, dentist, physician, whatever. If you are definitely going to apply to both, I would try as hard as you can to not discuss applying to other profession.

Its fine to do it even if you are applying to both programs from the same school but just beaware that it could potentially hurt you. In my view it all depends on your stats and whether it's a risk worth taking. I think the more options you have the better your chances at a good life. If I could do it all over again i would apply to DO, Dentistry, Pharmacy, PA :D.

I don't think there are any problems with this.

Make sure you apply to different schools so they would not know about it.
They probably won't check to every schools to see if you apply to other professional programs.:)

Maybe in the next 2-3 months you find that PharmD is not a good fit for you, then you would not waste a year to start with medical school application process.

Oh.. I think you're asking about letter of reference. Is it possible to ask LOR from different recommenders?

I think you should honestly take a close look at both professions and decide what you think would be more fulfilling for you. Talk to students and professionals in both professions, because honestly, I was in the same boat that you were at one point and I discovered that dentistry and pharmacy are two very different fields, and I think you would be a much stronger applicant and much happier if you made a firm decision about which one you'd rather do, and then just do it.

sh#t, man, just don't tell 'em.

i mean if you're applying to both at the same school I guess you're screwed. So don't do that!

You don't have to go to the interview and be like "YEAH MAN at my interview for DENTAL SCHOOL" or "Well if I don't get into DENTAL SCHOOL I'd LOVE to be a pharmacist"

Actually, on the national dental application you are required to list any other professional schools you are applying to (that includes pharmacy, med etc..), and believe me, this is not something you want to lie about, because if they figure you out, you really just blew your shot at getting into dental school...there's a lot of inter-communication between admissions departments. Lying about yourself is not the way you want to enter the health profession.

Actually, on the national dental application you are required to list any other professional schools you are applying to (that includes pharmacy, med etc..), and believe me, this is not something you want to lie about, because if they figure you out, you really just blew your shot at getting into dental school...there's a lot of inter-communication between admissions departments. Lying about yourself is not the way you want to enter the health profession.

Plus lying on an application could possibly null and void your acceptance.

I would tell you just dont apply to 2 programs at the same school...otherwise- do what you want!

I think that would be better off if you really found what program you are most interested in and them apply to several of that type of program instead of trying to balance applying to 2 different programs at different schools- it would be easier for you

Actually u can apply to both programs from the same school but u ahve to be sneaky like apply for dental super early since most schools start admitting early then if u don't get in apply to pharmD or the other way around. That way u wont be lieing when they ask if u are applying to other prof. schools bc u haven't even though you plan to but it's not the same. Alot of people have applied to MD, DO, Dental, etc all in the same year and got into the program and are fine. Nothing in life is guareenteed so doing that does not make u a bad person but someone who dosn't like to take chances.

Actually u can apply to both programs from the same school but u ahve to be sneaky like apply for dental super early since most schools start admitting early then if u don't get in apply to pharmD or the other way around. That way u wont be lieing when they ask if u are applying to other prof. schools bc u haven't even though you plan to but it's not the same. Alot of people have applied to MD, DO, Dental, etc all in the same year and got into the program and are fine. Nothing in life is guareenteed so doing that does not make u a bad person but someone who dosn't like to take chances.

Actually, there is one thing in life that is guaranteed. And that is DEATH. :laugh:

What about taxes?
taxes are not guaranteed bc if u were born in a tribe in the middle of amazon or in certain parts of the world then u won't be paying taxes :D.

Death, and pain are 100% guaranteed and no one can prove that wrong :laugh: but if ur smart and lucky then u would add aton of good things that are guaranteed in your life such as love, nice house, car, family, etc.

To answer the original question, if you are applying to multiple professional programs, I would advise you not to do so at the same school. I don't know if they can find out, but if they do, you would seem like someone who hasn't made up his/her mind about the profession, and they would probably give your spot to someone who is more certain. But it's just my opinion...

I applied to medical, pharmacy, and graduate school this cycle. They were all at different institutions, however.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but just as a general question; why do some of you apply to various fields within medicine? Is it that you don't know or care what you end up doing as long as you can be called a doctor (whether it's a PhD, MD, or DMD)? Is it that you don't think you'll get into to the one you want so instead of trying to apply a second time you'd rather just get into any program? Why not just shadow enough ppl and do enough research on the fields of medicine you're interested in and then decide on what it is you ACTUALLY want to do for the rest of your life and then just do it? I'm saying this because an MD, DMD, PhD, and PharmD, are all very different in the lifestyle, responsibility, education, and overall profession that I think you need to do some more soul searching if you feel the need to apply to all these different programs at the same time!

taxes are not guaranteed bc if u were born in a tribe in the middle of amazon or in certain parts of the world then u won't be paying taxes :D.

Death, and pain are 100% guaranteed and no one can prove that wrong :laugh: but if ur smart and lucky then u would add aton of good things that are guaranteed in your life such as love, nice house, car, family, etc.

When we're talking about pain, are we talking about physical or emotional pain? Cause you know, there are people in the world that can't feel pain. I forget the exact term for it if someone could enlighten us.

Sorry, just being a donkey's ass. :D

When we're talking about pain, are we talking about physical or emotional pain? Cause you know, there are people in the world that can't feel pain. I forget the exact term for it if someone could enlighten us.

Sorry, just being a donkey's ass. :D

Peripheral neuropathy

Did anyone say this yet? --> Apply to dental school first. This way, you can say that you haven't applied to any other graduate programs (technically), because you've only applied to dental school at that point.