apply without bachelor's degree, will i be accepted? is that a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zhang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
i heard that some carribean school can let you apply w/o a bachelor's degree. have anyone tried and got in? is this a good idea?
and will having a bachelor's degree make you competitive over others?

Members don't see this ad.

You need at least 90 credit hours to get into any medical school. My question would be, why not earn those other 30 and just get your bachelors?

hey guys
i heard that some carribean school can let you apply w/o a bachelor's degree. have anyone tried and got in? is this a good idea?
and will having a bachelor's degree make you competitive over others?

Have people tried? probably... and maybe a few have gotten in.
Is it a good idea? No.
Will you be more competitive with a degree? absolutely.

As someone still in undergrad (and with a year or two at least to go still it sounds like), the Carib route shouldn't even be in your mind at this point. You should be focusing on rocking your classes, volunteering/extracurriculars and eventually studying to rock the MCAT. Trying to shave one year off by going to the Caribbean is a BAD idea. What happens if you fail out or have to leave or whatever? Then you have huge debt and not even a bachelors.

My brother got accepted in UCC in Bayamon,Puerto Rico after his junior year. He is graduating this year, so it went really well for him. The concerns that you should have is, are you sure that you want to go to med school, and do you think that you'll do good.

I know of people that studied with him and dropped out in their last year (yep, they did). Imagine if you suddenly feel like it's not going great for you and you're not doing as well and you don't have a Bachelor's degree as a backup plan. It really is something to think about carefully.

P.S. Schools in the Caribbean are good... In puerto Rico, specifically UPR and UCC

Last edited: