Applying a few weeks before MCAT expires

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inspectah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll be applying in the year of 2017, submitting my application on the earliest date possible. I took my MCAT back in late June of 2015 and received a score of 514. My favorite potential school doesn't accept any MCATs that are more than 2 years old. My question is, what are the rules on expiring MCAT scores? If I get my application submitted in early June (before it expires), am I all set no matter how long it takes to process my application and for them to review it and interview me? Is it okay if my MCAT expires shortly after I submit my app?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'll be applying in the year of 2017, submitting my application on the earliest date possible. I took my MCAT back in late June of 2015 and received a score of 514. My favorite potential school doesn't accept any MCATs that are more than 2 years old. My question is, what are the rules on expiring MCAT scores? If I get my application submitted in early June (before it expires), am I all set no matter how long it takes to process my application and for them to review it and interview me? Is it okay if my MCAT expires shortly after I submit my app?

Thank you,

When they say 2 years, they don't necessarily mean exactly 2 years. Ask the school if your MCAT would be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MSAR should have a more specific date for the school (ie: oldest MCAT accepted is Jan/June/Sept/etc 2015) instead of just the 2/3/etc years old that they say on their school's website. I actually found emailing the schools unhelpful. I was in a similar situation this year (took MCAT may 2013), and I emailed some schools that said they accepted scores 3yrs old at time of app asking if my MCAT would be accepted at their school, since I took it in may. They responded with a direct quote from their website that they accept 3 year old scores, but did not let me know if yes or no they accepted my score. The MSAR was surprisingly much more helpful because most schools there has a specific month and year. Just my personal experience. YMMV, and it's never a bad idea to email the school. Just be aware that they may not actually answer your question.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Within 3 years of matriculation is the generally accepted standard. MSAR, as mentioned by @Karabo, is your best source.