Applying African American on the dental application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartdental

Reaction score
Hello, I am from/was born in a North African country, and moved to the US when I was young. Can I apply as an African American or would I be considered white? I am considering applying to meharry or Howard

Members don't see this ad.

Read

The article explains why North Africans were ruled as white instead of African.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I am from/was born in a North African country, and moved to the US when I was young. Can I apply as an African American or would I be considered white? I am considering applying to meharry or Howard
You are 100% an African individual. You aren’t Nigerian or Eritrean. You’re Moroccan, Algerian, something of that flavor. You’re from Africa. You’re African. In an age where anyone identifies however they please you have every right to own your TRUE identity and claim the continent that you are from.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are 100% an African individual. You aren’t Nigerian or Eritrean. You’re Moroccan, Algerian, something of that flavor. You’re from Africa. You’re African. In an age where anyone identifies however they please you have every right to own your TRUE identity and claim the continent that you are from.
Exactly why I phrased my response. You self-identify in whatever way you want to. However, I wanted to make sure you knew how we came to the definitions we use for EEOC/Census/DOE purposes. Expect to go into more depth about your upbringing.