Applying again after many years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tom_r

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I applied to med school years ago and didn't get in. I've decided to try again and I'm looking for advice on the best strategy. About me:

- Graduated from college in 2003, 3.3 science GPA, 3.5 all other GPA.
- Took the MCAT twice: 38 in 2003, 37 in 2007.
- Applied to med school in 2007 and didn't get in anywhere. I think a big part of this is that I was suspended from school for a year for a disciplinary incident.

So, my pre-reqs and MCAT scores are over 10 years old. Most med schools won't take them, and I've forgotten a lot of the material. I'm inclined to do a post-bacc and retake all my pre-reqs, but I'm also considering a special masters. FWIW, a number of post-bacc programs I've contacted (Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Mills, Scripps, etc.) say I'm not eligible because I've already taken the pre-reqs. They consider me a record enhancer, not a career change.

My questions is, how should I decide between a post-bacc and a special masters? Will med schools look down on me doing a post-bacc given that I've already taken the classes (albeit long ago) and done reasonably well in them?

Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless resolved, the disciplinary incident may follow you when applying again. You may want to check with a trusted advisor--be it from a medical school, expert on SDN, AdCom member, etc.--to see to what extent it may be impacting your chances of getting in. The only reason I say that is due to how remarkably well you did on the MCAT when you applied ten years ago.

Just my two cents.

Thanks Forever Geebs, that makes sense. I'm doing a few things to deal with the discipline issue. First, more than 15 years have passed at this point. I'm hoping that that will help lessen its impact. Second, my college had a policy that every recommendation letter had to mention disciplinary actions. Definitely did not help. Doing a post-bacc or SMP will allow me to get clean recommendation letters. Finally, I'm planning to do a better job writing about it when I self disclose it on the AMCAS.

I do wonder, though, if anyone has advice about the post-bacc vs. SMP choice in my situation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
IA's (institutional actions), depending on their nature can be permanent deal breakers even if you ace an SMP. As noted, I would make a private post to an actual adcom and disclose the nature of your IA and ask if you have any real shot. A 99th percentile MCAT even with a low GPA, especially in 2007 before the economy was totally tanked and everyone decided that the only safe 6 figure job was being a physician (thus increasing the competitiveness of the process), makes me wonder if you either just applied poorly or your IA is so serious that it showed a lack of judgement that any adcom will find incompatible with the practice of medicine.

PM me, OP

Hi everyone,
I applied to med school years ago and didn't get in. I've decided to try again and I'm looking for advice on the best strategy. About me:

- Graduated from college in 2003, 3.3 science GPA, 3.5 all other GPA.
- Took the MCAT twice: 38 in 2003, 37 in 2007.
- Applied to med school in 2007 and didn't get in anywhere. I think a big part of this is that I was suspended from school for a year for a disciplinary incident.

So, my pre-reqs and MCAT scores are over 10 years old. Most med schools won't take them, and I've forgotten a lot of the material. I'm inclined to do a post-bacc and retake all my pre-reqs, but I'm also considering a special masters. FWIW, a number of post-bacc programs I've contacted (Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Mills, Scripps, etc.) say I'm not eligible because I've already taken the pre-reqs. They consider me a record enhancer, not a career change.

My questions is, how should I decide between a post-bacc and a special masters? Will med schools look down on me doing a post-bacc given that I've already taken the classes (albeit long ago) and done reasonably well in them?

Thanks so much for your help!