applying anesthesia, failed level 2 PE with no chance of retake. Advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1059129

I failed the PE with no chance of retaking before I apply and I fear I will be screened out from many programs this cycle due to the fail filter. Anyone else beein in a similar situation? I am thinking about just releasing my step scores then release comlex scores mid cycle after it gets past the "Fail" filters. Especially with this cycle PDs will probably recieve a record number of apps due to the COVID uncertainty. My biggest fear in doing this however is that residencies think that I failed level 1 and I am hiding it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well to be fair, you did say:

Any advice would be appreciated.”
Well if you dont have anything positive to add why comment. I thought that would be common sense. No need to put anyone down

Well if you dont have anything positive to add why comment. I thought that would be common sense. No need to put anyone down

If you knew anything about @Consigliere , you’d know that he was giving you honest advice to avoid anesthesia as he is quite disillusioned with the specialty.

It’s just a bonus that he does it while being a dick.

That and you must be new here if you were expecting a safe space.

Reactions: 11 users
If you knew anything about @Consigliere , you’d know that he was giving you honest advice to avoid anesthesia as he is quite disillusioned with the specialty.

It’s just a bonus that he does it while being a dick.

That and you must be new here if you were expecting a safe space.
Well to be fair since you seem to idolize him for some reason how about after you finish wiping his seed from the corners of your mouth you too can also stfu. It is not a safe place after all

what is level 2 PE?
you mean USMLE step 2 CS?
what are your other stats? -- amazing? average? mediocre?
if you want to do anesthesiology then you should apply broadly and have back up plan
(yes that includes less competitive fields such as FM, unless you want to go unmatched)
level 2 PE is the equivalent for step 2 CS for DOs and i got a 230 on step 1. however ERAS gives the option to only apply with steps without them seeing your comlex scores.

I failed the PE with no chance of retaking before I apply and I fear I will be screened out from many programs this cycle due to the fail filter. Anyone else beein in a similar situation? I am thinking about just releasing my step scores then release comlex scores mid cycle after it gets past the "Fail" filters. Especially with this cycle PDs will probably recieve a record number of apps due to the COVID uncertainty. My biggest fear in doing this however is that residencies think that I failed level 1 and I am hiding it. Any advice would be appreciated.

So you are a DO student who took both COMLEX and USMLE?
And you failed one component of the COMLEX,
But you did fine with USMLE?
I don't know if you even needed to release COMLEX scores in this situation
What are your other stats like? -- amazing? average? mediocre?

Reactions: 1 user
level 2 PE is the equivalent for step 2 CS for DOs and i got a 230 on step 1. however ERAS gives the option to only apply with steps without them seeing your comlex scores.

IMO would just apply with the USMLE STEP scores
You took USMLE Step 2 CS? You passed that?
Apply broadly

Reactions: 2 users
Don’t listen to these two a$$holes..... they comment in between their circle jerk from their mothers basements. F*ck both of them! I’ve been told that a lot of program directors don’t take the PE very seriously (especially DO program directors) because they remember being in our shoes and they know it’s a bull**** test. I mean last year nearly 1/10 people flunked the PE. Any test with that high of a failure rate is a bull **** test.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO would just apply with the USMLE STEP scores
You took USMLE Step 2 CS? You passed that?
Apply broadly
We only take level 2 PE and yea thats what i was planning on doing and just submit my step scores without comlex then release them later. thanks

Don’t listen to these two a$$holes..... they comment in between their circle jerk from their mothers basements. F*ck both of them! I’ve been told that a lot of program directors don’t take the PE very seriously (especially DO program directors) because they remember being in our shoes and they know it’s a bull**** test. I mean last year nearly 1/10 people flunked the PE. Any test with that high of a failure rate is a bull **** test.
thanks for the response man. I think im just going to apply with step scores only then release comlex mid cycle so i dont get screened out due to the intial fail filter

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told the opposite:

1) PDs want to see a PASS on the COMLEX PE or STEP 2 CS as Anesthesiology is one of the few specialties that have OSCE style board examination as part of the board certifying process.
2) Retaking the PE exam is a pain in the butt and you need a PASS on it to get your DO medical license. Without a medical license, you won't be able to advance in residency. Not sure if any PDs would be willing to take this risk. Your ranking will take a hit there's no way around that.

"1/10 people flunked the PE. Any test with that high of a failure rate is a bull **** test "???? What kind of logic is this? 90% pass rate is a high failure rate?? If anything, it's concerning that you failed an exam that 9/10 medical students pass.

As much as I think the COMLEX PE is a bs exam in its own way, the way you two acted I wonder why you failed the test that stresses professionalism and communication, you did not pass the SNIFF test

Reactions: 6 users
I was told the opposite:

1) PDs want to see a PASS on the COMLEX PE or STEP 2 CS as Anesthesiology is one of the few specialties that have OSCE style board examination as part of the board certifying process.
2) Retaking the PE exam is a pain in the butt and you need a PASS on it to get your DO medical license. Without a medical license, you won't be able to advance in residency. Not sure if any PDs would be willing to take this risk. Your ranking will take a hit there's no way around that.

"1/10 people flunked the PE. Any test with that high of a failure rate is a bull **** test "???? What kind of logic is this? 90% pass rate is a high failure rate?? If anything, it's concerning that you failed an exam that 9/10 medical students pass.

As much as I think the COMLEX PE is a bs exam in its own way, the way you two acted I wonder why you failed the test that stresses professionalism and communication, you did not pass the SNIFF test
This cycle is very different than any other due to COVID and step 2 cs has been postponed for 18 months while PE is likely to follow suit so the vast majority of applicants havent even taken both. I was also answering someone who was clearly trolling and it doesnt reflect my actions on an exam....what kind of logic is that?

I was told the opposite:

Interesting enough you actually don’t need to complete the comlex series as a DO to get licensed (sans 7 states). You can get licensed through the usmle. Since CS has been waived for 12-18 months and if the OP took step 2 it’s actually not a bad idea to just take step 3 and be done with it, especially given the cluster**** that is the PE currently

This cycle is very different than any other due to COVID and step 2 cs has been postponed for 18 months while PE is likely to follow suit so the vast majority of applicants havent even taken both.
Interesting enough you actually don’t need to complete the comlex series as a DO to get licensed (sans 7 states). You can get licensed through the usmle. Since CS has been waived for 12-18 months and if the OP took step 2 it’s actually not a bad idea to just take step 3 and be done with it, especially given the cluster**** that is the PE currently
Unfortunately at some point in time I have to show residencies that i passed level 1 and 2 inorder to graduate. I just dont want to apply with a failed Level 2 PE that can screen me out due to a fail filter then I will release my comlex scores mid cycle. What do you think of that strategy?

Well then there's your loophole. Apply to Family Medicine as backup as suggested above, you'd want a backup plan.

Honestly your response to the first few comments says a lot about why you probably failed and will likely struggle to match. A little gentle ribbing in an online forum that’s well known to anyone that frequents it for not pulling punches, and you completely lost it and lashed out. My guess is you probably failed due to a serious lack of professionalism. Residency requires you to take A LOT of feedback good or bad, fair or unfair and be able to take it with a smile and say thank you. Anesthesia requires flexibility, thick skin, and the ability to respond calmly and cooley in adverse/uncomfortable situations. Honestly, I’m not seeing it. Unless you’re published in A&A and are capable of making a serious attitude adjustment I would definitely have a back-up plan (specialty).

Reactions: 8 users
Apply to the lower tier programs. Programs with a lot of foreign grads. These programs need warm bodies. Just search programs and see if they have a lot of foreigners. Just means us grads are for the most part avoiding those programs. But a spot is a spot. At the end of the day. You just need to get into a residency and it’s 4 (5) years of your life. Not long in the overall scheme of things in life.

This guy.. lol. At least his posts explain why he probably failed the easiest board exam

Reactions: 3 users
Well to be fair since you seem to idolize him for some reason how about after you finish wiping his seed from the corners of your mouth you too can also stfu. It is not a safe place after all

Would love to see this guy play out his responses in real life. Every surgeon would run him out of the room if this is how deals with feedback lol

Not going to lie, it may be difficult. Anesthesiology is relatively DO-friendly at the moment, but you have to understand that this past Match cycle, after the Main Match algorithm was run, there were three positions left in SOAP (1 categorical & 2 advanced), and something like 8 R (physician-only) positions. It is seemingly increasing in competitiveness again, and a failure isn't helping your cause. You could always apply, but you may want to talk to an advisor or a mentor that knows you well and can help you come up with a backup plan in case you don't match into anesthesia, e.g. would you take a prelim somewhere and reapply the next cycle? How bad do you want to match into anesthesia? Would you do a prelim and then repeat intern year?

Would love to see this guy play out his responses in real life. Every surgeon would run him out of the room if this is how deals with feedback lol
I have no problem with recieving feedback and you can see my response to others but they were both trolling and not attempting to add anything beneficial. He got the response he was asking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I matched fairly easily into residency with a level II PE failure, only one interviewer made a mention about it, I still remember her comment, it made me chuckle.

“Did you forget to cry when the patient told you he/she was having a hardship?”

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Not going to lie, it may be difficult. Anesthesiology is relatively DO-friendly at the moment, but you have to understand that this past Match cycle, after the Main Match algorithm was run, there were three positions left in SOAP (1 categorical & 2 advanced), and something like 8 R (physician-only) positions. It is seemingly increasing in competitiveness again, and a failure isn't helping your cause. You could always apply, but you may want to talk to an advisor or a mentor that knows you well and can help you come up with a backup plan in case you don't match into anesthesia, e.g. would you take a prelim somewhere and reapply the next cycle? How bad do you want to match into anesthesia? Would you do a prelim and then repeat intern year?
Honestly your response to the first few comments says a lot about why you probably failed and will likely struggle to match. A little gentle ribbing in an online forum that’s well known to anyone that frequents it for not pulling punches, and you completely lost it and lashed out. My guess is you probably failed due to a serious lack of professionalism. Residency requires you to take A LOT of feedback good or bad, fair or unfair and be able to take it with a smile and say thank you. Anesthesia requires flexibility, thick skin, and the ability to respond calmly and cooley in adverse/uncomfortable situations. Honestly, I’m not seeing it. Unless you’re published in A&A and are capable of making a serious attitude adjustment I would definitely have a back-up plan (specialty).
geniunely curious as to why you are defending the attitude of people who were clearly trolling? I think others who constantly go out of their way to put people down have deep psychological issues and need serious counseling and they both seem to do that on a consistent basis.

I matched fairly easily into residency with a level II PE failure, only one interviewer made a mention about it, I still remember her comment, it made me chuckle.

“Did you forget to cry when the patient told you he/she was having a hardship?”
thanks for your response. Did you release all your scores when you applied or withold comlex and release later?

geniunely curious as to why you are defending the attitude of people who were clearly trolling? I think others who constantly go out of their way to put people down have deep psychological issues and need serious counseling and they both seem to do that on a consistent basis.

Please quote where I put you down.

If you review the thread, I think you’ll find that you were the one making the derogatory comments. Might want to work on your perception and insight there bud.

Reactions: 3 users
Please quote where I put you down.

If you review the thread, I think you’ll find that you were the one making the derogatory comments. Might want to work on your perception and insight there bud.
you were defending and justifying his attitude when he was clearly trolling and as another person pointed out you two love to do that consistently.

I know quite a few people that failed PE and matched successfully at some impressive programs (n/1). Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. You could also just release your USMLE scores and release the comlex scores after you pass the PE. Odds are that if you got 230 on USMLE you most definitely passed comlex.

you were defending and justifying his attitude when he was clearly trolling and as another person pointed out you two love to do that consistently.

I was just letting you know that he was being sincere. Not able to provide a quote huh?

Next time just fill out this form and submit to the mods:

5A19D0BC-9B69-4F13-A3B4-791C7CE63455.jpeg

(There, now I’m being a dick ;))

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
thanks for your response. Did you release all your scores when you applied or withold comlex and release later?

I released all scores, I always believe in transparency, its much easier to explain and be upfront rather than try to hide it and let them discuss it in private.

Status
Not open for further replies.