Applying as a California resident to Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rooks

Pre-med
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They reserve their OOS slots for high stat applicants. UTSW and Baylor look for a lot of research too.

You can certainly try TCU since they are a private school on AMCAS. Creating a new app using TMDAS (which has different character counts for the activities section) is often not worth the trouble for most applicants since only 10% of spots are available for OOS. You would need to consult MSAR about the median MCAT scores for OOS students for the remaining schools as they may have increased. 515 was a solid score before for many of them, and there are at least a few new schools that could be worth trying.

Reactions: 1 user
How soon is the date? Have you talked with admissions professionals at the Texas schools where you want to attend? How much time is left on your MCAT clock, and have you taken Casper before?

It would help if you have experiences that are similar to the schools' extracurricular activities offered.

Members don't see this ad :)
May be try to establish TX residency and then apply later?

If you're getting married and you both plan to stay in TX, then I agree with the above posters it is worthwhile to look into what would get you TX residency, even if it takes an extra year (or two).

According to this site, to get TX residency (for tuition purposes), you need to live and work in the state for 12 months prior to starting your education: Texas Residency - UTSA One Stop

It doesn't sound like marrying a TX resident makes a difference for residency purposes, but it would certainly be a good thing to put in your application somewhere as that's where you can make clear why you moved to TX, and that you plan to stay there.

In-state TX tuition will be much cheaper, and while deferring medical school does defer your attending income by a year or more, having less debt could mean less stress throughout residency/early attendinghood and lead to a happier life. If the two of you plan to start having kids soon, then being near family makes a world of difference when you have young ones and medical school/residency to deal with.

Also, if your fiance likes his job and it's a hard one to come back to (if you were to go to med school out of state and he followed you there), that alone is another reason to hold off on applying until you get TX residency so you can optimize your chances of being accepted as well as getting in-state tuition.

Thank you for the responses and info I appreciate it :)

How soon is the date? Have you talked with admissions professionals at the Texas schools where you want to attend? How much time is left on your MCAT clock, and have you taken Casper before?

It would help if you have experiences that are similar to the schools' extracurricular activities offered.
Could you elaborate on having similar extracurriculars? Do you mean like, volunteering experiences with the same populations that the med school student clinics might serve? Thank you. I just took the MCAT for the first time, never taken Casper before.

If you're getting married and you both plan to stay in TX, then I agree with the above posters it is worthwhile to look into what would get you TX residency, even if it takes an extra year (or two).

According to this site, to get TX residency (for tuition purposes), you need to live and work in the state for 12 months prior to starting your education: Texas Residency - UTSA One Stop

It doesn't sound like marrying a TX resident makes a difference for residency purposes, but it would certainly be a good thing to put in your application somewhere as that's where you can make clear why you moved to TX, and that you plan to stay there.

In-state TX tuition will be much cheaper, and while deferring medical school does defer your attending income by a year or more, having less debt could mean less stress throughout residency/early attendinghood and lead to a happier life. If the two of you plan to start having kids soon, then being near family makes a world of difference when you have young ones and medical school/residency to deal with.

Also, if your fiance likes his job and it's a hard one to come back to (if you were to go to med school out of state and he followed you there), that alone is another reason to hold off on applying until you get TX residency so you can optimize your chances of being accepted as well as getting in-state tuition.
To be honest, we're both prioritizing my career, he wants to follow me anywhere and his career is very flexible. But I know he loves Texas, so I thought I might as well apply haha. :)

I heard that Texas schools sometimes give OOS a scholarship so you get the in-state tuition? Is this true?
Thank you for the advice.

With your fiancé’s family in Texas, you should go through the effort of TMDSAS and apply to the respective schools you’d be happy to attend if given an invite. Slip in your Texas connection for the personal statement on the application.
Thank you for your response. Do you have any suggestions or resources on how to write about this/include this in my app?

To be honest, we're both prioritizing my career, he wants to follow me anywhere and his career is very flexible. But I know he loves Texas, so I thought I might as well apply haha. :)

I heard that Texas schools sometimes give OOS a scholarship so you get the in-state tuition? Is this true?
Sounds like you two are off to a good start if you're both trying to make the other happy.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about TX schools giving scholarships to allow in-state tuition. I've heard of other places doing that, but I don't think it's common. But I didn't apply to TX schools--I wanted to stay out west or the upper Midwest. My answers above were just based on a quick google search and trying to help, not from first-hand experience applying to TX schools.

Sorry if my username is misleading and suggested I know a lot about TX. My username isn't in reference to the Texas Rangers-- it's actually named after my old pickup truck, which itself came from the Alcatraz Park Ranger in "The Rock," (older movie with Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage) whose name was Ranger Bob. He had like 5 seconds of screen time but I thought it was a funny name. Which I think in turn came from a comic or old B&W show, but I didn't know anything about that when I came up with the name.

That and I wanted to be a park ranger for a long time.

Probably more info than you needed to know.

My wife moved with me to the Midwest, away from her (and my) family, for my med school. We tried to come back to CA for residency but there were very few quality PM&R programs here, so we ended up staying in the Midwest again. That ended up being 8 years from both our homes, family. We didn't have our son until fellowship, which is when being away from family really started to hit us and we realized we wanted to be back home. If the two of you plan to start a family anytime soon, it's worthwhile to think about where you're going to be and how to get the support you need. We (Americans--including myself!) get really excited to pursue big jobs/etc but at the end of the day, family/friend and personal connections are what actually bring most people happiness. So if your fiance really loves TX and his family is there, and you're ok with it, it may be worth prioritizing it if growing a family is on your minds. You will be quite busy in med school/residency, so even if you don't plan to have kids, it may help your fiance to have that family support.

I heard they give $1000 scholarship so that you become in-state 2nd year.

My fiancee grew up and has lived in Texas all of his life and has all his family there. I don't have any other ties to Texas except to him. I would like to apply to Texas schools because I like the state and he has a nice job there, so it would be better if he didn't have to move. But I know that Texas a massive in-state bias, and I'm not sure if it's worth applying. However, I do have a strong connection there.

I have a 4.0, 515 MCAT, over 5 years of longitudinal volunteering in both hospice and crisis text line (around 600 hours each), being a club president, mentoring and TA experience for a year at my college, average shadowing, no research, three excellent letters of rec, and I'm not URM or ORM. My degree has a focus on community health and I'm interested in primary care as a career.

Should I ever apply to Texas schools, as a California resident?

Thank you.
Look at this thread I created all about establishing Texas residency. Texas Residency Status: How Does TMDSAS determine it?
If you marry your intended and live in Texas for 12 continuous months by the application deadline (Nov 1) then you are a Texas resident.
I don't know if you are still in college.
If so, graduate, get married, go live in Texas and apply in the 2024-2025 cycle. You will be an official Texan by then.

Already graduated? Go live and work in Texas for 12 months, while not a student, don't need to rush the wedding, apply also next cycle.

In a big rush to apply this year? You will be an OOS applicant and only 10% of the Texas seats go to OOS applicants. We don't really care about your Texas "ties" if you apply as an OOS student, we care about your top scores and grades.

Reactions: 3 users
Look at this thread I created all about establishing Texas residency. Texas Residency Status: How Does TMDSAS determine it?
If you marry your intended and live in Texas for 12 continuous months by the application deadline (Nov 1) then you are a Texas resident.
If so, graduate, get married, go live in Texas and apply in the 2024-2025 cycle. You will be an official Texan by then.

Already graduated? Go live and work in Texas for 12 months, while not a student, don't need to rush the wedding, apply also next cycle.

In a big rush to apply this year? You will be an OOS applicant and only 10% of the Texas seats go to OOS applicants. We don't really care about your Texas "ties" if you apply as an OOS student, we care about your top scores and grades.
What is considered a good MCAT score for OOS? Ty for the info. :)

Also, ties don't matter at all? That's a bummer :(

Sounds like you two are off to a good start if you're both trying to make the other happy.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about TX schools giving scholarships to allow in-state tuition. I've heard of other places doing that, but I don't think it's common. But I didn't apply to TX schools--I wanted to stay out west or the upper Midwest. My answers above were just based on a quick google search and trying to help, not from first-hand experience applying to TX schools.

Sorry if my username is misleading and suggested I know a lot about TX. My username isn't in reference to the Texas Rangers-- it's actually named after my old pickup truck, which itself came from the Alcatraz Park Ranger in "The Rock," (older movie with Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage) whose name was Ranger Bob. He had like 5 seconds of screen time but I thought it was a funny name. Which I think in turn came from a comic or old B&W show, but I didn't know anything about that when I came up with the name.

That and I wanted to be a park ranger for a long time.

Probably more info than you needed to know.

My wife moved with me to the Midwest, away from her (and my) family, for my med school. We tried to come back to CA for residency but there were very few quality PM&R programs here, so we ended up staying in the Midwest again. That ended up being 8 years from both our homes, family. We didn't have our son until fellowship, which is when being away from family really started to hit us and we realized we wanted to be back home. If the two of you plan to start a family anytime soon, it's worthwhile to think about where you're going to be and how to get the support you need. We (Americans--including myself!) get really excited to pursue big jobs/etc but at the end of the day, family/friend and personal connections are what actually bring most people happiness. So if your fiance really loves TX and his family is there, and you're ok with it, it may be worth prioritizing it if growing a family is on your minds. You will be quite busy in med school/residency, so even if you don't plan to have kids, it may help your fiance to have that family support.
Thank you, this gives me a lot to think about :)

I looked at the thread but maybe I missed it, could I buy property in Texas and use that to claim residency after 12 months?

I looked at the thread but maybe I missed it, could I buy property in Texas and use that to claim residency after 12 months?
Not unless you live in that property yourself during those 12 months.
Texas is one of the hardest states to establish residency by domicile in for medical school applications. There are no shortcuts or loopholes and the rules are very clearly spelled out in the TMDSAS links I provided.
If the timing of living there for 12 months by the time you apply is not going to work for you then apply as an OOS person.

Reactions: 1 users