Applying as a Junior!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSU2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site! Has anyone been successful applying to veterinary school as a junior!? I want to know as much details as possible for me to have the best chances of getting in with just pre-reqs completed! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

You can look at the official numbers in the VMSAR, but very few juniors get accepted. It's tough to squeeze enough animal/vet experience into those years.

I graduated in 3 years, so I was technically a junior at my school until the last few months. I didn't take much more than the pre-reqs, but I rocked those. I took a year off to travel, though, and so I had more experiences than if I'd applied in my third year.

Doesn't hurt to throw your number in the hat at your state school even if you have just a slim chance of acceptance.

I applied as a junior-I would highly recommend it!. Truthfully, I applied not expecting to get in, it was just for "practice" but boy am I glad I did:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied after only three years of undergrad last year, but my situation was slightly different since I was able to graduate (I didn't, though). I ended up waitlisted, and my stats weren't the greatest last year. I know of some schools that encourage applying as a junior and some that discourage it. It is good practice, but you may end up accepted anyway! Did you do well in your pre-reqs?

There are quite a few people in my class that entered vet school as "seniors" in undergrad. They used vet school credit to count towards their degrees and graduated after 1st year. If you are able to afford the apps and consider yourself a good candidate, I say go for it. It will save you money in the long run if you get in because you will have one less year of undergrad to pay for.

There are quite a few people in my class that entered vet school as "seniors" in undergrad. They used vet school credit to count towards their degrees and graduated after 1st year. If you are able to afford the apps and consider yourself a good candidate, I say go for it. It will save you money in the long run if you get in because you will have one less year of undergrad to pay for.

We had a number of people awarded their B.S. in Animal Science degree out of my vet school class after the first year as well. I don't know that it was a huge number, but certainly there were a bunch. Enough that if you've got the pre-reqs out and have a remote chance of acceptance I'd definitely say go for it.

I applied as a junior to UTK after finishing all of the pre-reqs. I figured I had nothing to lose by applying, and fortunately I was accepted! I didn't have a ton of experience, but I did have a pretty diverse range of experiences, from large animal to small animal to exotics. I'd say go for it--if you get in, great, and if not, then you have another year to better prepare yourself.

VMR encourages juniors to apply. Mostly it's because they're not very likely to get in, and the feedback they get on their application can help them focus on what to improve while they still have a year of undergrad left to improve it.

That having been said, if you do get accepted, you don't get to defer for a year, so make sure you're ready to make that commitment. ;) And good luck!