What are extracurriculars as a non-trad?

Started by Alie1996
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Alie1996

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hopefully this thread is helpful and not repetitive, I did a search before posting but couldn't find anything specific to this. Link me if I missed it!

I'm a severely non-trad applicant. I have been out of traditional undergrad for 9 years now (jesus christ that hurts me to say). What would I list as an extracurricular?

I do sports; BJJ & rock climbing. My hobbies include hiking, camping, crocheting, baking... I'm probably missing some.

I understand most trad or near trad applicants will list their affiliations with college clubs, sports, or music stuff in this section. I was a part of the college farm when I was at school all those years ago but otherwise I wasn't the most serious undergrad.

Thank you for your help!!!
 
I also had a dean of admissions tell me in a file review to absolutely include all of my undergrad things - yes they were from 10 years ago, but they still speak to you as a person, and they can show things like leadership and volunteer commitments. Mine included membership & president roles in Model UN & LGBTQ advocacy, along with working with therapy horses & tutoring local at-risk youth. I didn't specifically list hobbies, but I did discuss some of them in essays and during interviews - that's actually one area where I could have stood to be stronger, all my extracurricular interests involved animals!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was also 9 years out of undergrad when I applied! I was a non-trad undergrad student too with very few extracurriculars during that time. I don't think I classified any experiences as extracurriculars tbh but I did make an effort to list non-animal/vet related group activities or volunteer work I had done and still do. I found most fell under the volunteer umbrella but I think your sports and hobbies could definitely be classified as extracurricular.
I did make sure to include a thorough work history from my teens onward to show my range of work experience which I think is a huge asset! It feels weird including things from 15+ years ago when most other applicants are working with 4-8 years of experiences, but include as much as you can!
 
I was also 9 years out of undergrad when I applied! I was a non-trad undergrad student too with very few extracurriculars during that time. I don't think I classified any experiences as extracurriculars tbh but I did make an effort to list non-animal/vet related group activities or volunteer work I had done and still do. I found most fell under the volunteer umbrella but I think your sports and hobbies could definitely be classified as extracurricular.
I did make sure to include a thorough work history from my teens onward to show my range of work experience which I think is a huge asset! It feels weird including things from 15+ years ago when most other applicants are working with 4-8 years of experiences, but include as much as you can!
I agree with everyone else. I am more years out than you guys and did the same. I added everything I could remember from college and even high school. I included volunteer positions in my extracurriculars.
 
Hopefully this thread is helpful and not repetitive, I did a search before posting but couldn't find anything specific to this. Link me if I missed it!

I'm a severely non-trad applicant. I have been out of traditional undergrad for 9 years now (jesus christ that hurts me to say). What would I list as an extracurricular?

I do sports; BJJ & rock climbing. My hobbies include hiking, camping, crocheting, baking... I'm probably missing some.

I understand most trad or near trad applicants will list their affiliations with college clubs, sports, or music stuff in this section. I was a part of the college farm when I was at school all those years ago but otherwise I wasn't the most serious undergrad.

Thank you for your help!!!
Wow I was reading your hobbies and thinking gosh those are all very common hobbies at WSU.
Then saw you are from Washington 🤣 you'll fit right in.