What are extracurriculars as a non-trad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alie1996

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this thread is helpful and not repetitive, I did a search before posting but couldn't find anything specific to this. Link me if I missed it!

I'm a severely non-trad applicant. I have been out of traditional undergrad for 9 years now (jesus christ that hurts me to say). What would I list as an extracurricular?

I do sports; BJJ & rock climbing. My hobbies include hiking, camping, crocheting, baking... I'm probably missing some.

I understand most trad or near trad applicants will list their affiliations with college clubs, sports, or music stuff in this section. I was a part of the college farm when I was at school all those years ago but otherwise I wasn't the most serious undergrad.

Thank you for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I do sports; BJJ & rock climbing. My hobbies include hiking, camping, crocheting, baking... I'm probably missing some.
Definitely list all of these. They want to see who you are as a person and see that you do have a life outside of vetmed and you have things you can do to just relax

Reactions: 3 users
I also had a dean of admissions tell me in a file review to absolutely include all of my undergrad things - yes they were from 10 years ago, but they still speak to you as a person, and they can show things like leadership and volunteer commitments. Mine included membership & president roles in Model UN & LGBTQ advocacy, along with working with therapy horses & tutoring local at-risk youth. I didn't specifically list hobbies, but I did discuss some of them in essays and during interviews - that's actually one area where I could have stood to be stronger, all my extracurricular interests involved animals!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also 9 years out of undergrad when I applied! I was a non-trad undergrad student too with very few extracurriculars during that time. I don't think I classified any experiences as extracurriculars tbh but I did make an effort to list non-animal/vet related group activities or volunteer work I had done and still do. I found most fell under the volunteer umbrella but I think your sports and hobbies could definitely be classified as extracurricular.
I did make sure to include a thorough work history from my teens onward to show my range of work experience which I think is a huge asset! It feels weird including things from 15+ years ago when most other applicants are working with 4-8 years of experiences, but include as much as you can!

I was also 9 years out of undergrad when I applied! I was a non-trad undergrad student too with very few extracurriculars during that time. I don't think I classified any experiences as extracurriculars tbh but I did make an effort to list non-animal/vet related group activities or volunteer work I had done and still do. I found most fell under the volunteer umbrella but I think your sports and hobbies could definitely be classified as extracurricular.
I did make sure to include a thorough work history from my teens onward to show my range of work experience which I think is a huge asset! It feels weird including things from 15+ years ago when most other applicants are working with 4-8 years of experiences, but include as much as you can!
I agree with everyone else. I am more years out than you guys and did the same. I added everything I could remember from college and even high school. I included volunteer positions in my extracurriculars.

Hopefully this thread is helpful and not repetitive, I did a search before posting but couldn't find anything specific to this. Link me if I missed it!

I'm a severely non-trad applicant. I have been out of traditional undergrad for 9 years now (jesus christ that hurts me to say). What would I list as an extracurricular?

I understand most trad or near trad applicants will list their affiliations with college clubs, sports, or music stuff in this section. I was a part of the college farm when I was at school all those years ago but otherwise I wasn't the most serious undergrad.

Thank you for your help!!!
Wow I was reading your hobbies and thinking gosh those are all very common hobbies at WSU.
Then saw you are from Washington :rofl: you'll fit right in.