applying as a minority when not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simbalimba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had heard that some people who weren't considered a minority applied as one and got in. What steps do med schools take to assure that people who are minorities really are minorites, and what qualifies a person as being a minority (have to be 1/4th or 1/8th, etc. of the inidicated ethnic background)?

Members don't see this ad.

I had heard that some people who weren't considered a minority applied as one and got in. What steps do med schools take to assure that people who are minorities really are minorites, and what qualifies a person as being a minority (have to be 1/4th or 1/8th, etc. of the inidicated ethnic background)?

There's a few things going on here. You are asking, I presume, because you think that "minorities" might get special treatment in the admissions process? Well, to dispell any myths, being a minority doesn't help you necessarily. You need to be an underrepresented minority in MEDICINE (URM) to get some additional advantage. Now, I've never heard of this being attached to DO programs. I know there is such a thing as URM status in the allopathic admissions process, but that's a different story. I'm not sure about how all of this relates to DO programs, since I'm not URM, and thus didn't research it.

I checked the AACOMAS just now, and it just asks you to list your Ethnicity and Race. It invites you to mark all that apply. That's all it says. It's up to you, what you mark, I suppose. However, admissions folk are not idiots. They can spot a lie a mile away. Believe me. They've seen it all. If you feel like you have a legitimate claim to a race/ethnicity, then by all means mark it down; just be able to back it up, if questioned about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.